The Call to Destiny by Beat15
Summary: Beat is having trouble in his happy life. He is attacked by a new foe, and is reunited with a lost friend. But all is not as it seems, Beat will reveal his story to those he trusts.
Please review!
Categories: Fan Fiction Characters: Ganondorf Dragmire, Malon, Nabooru, Saria
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: The Beat Grimsley Saga
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 9867 Read: 71644 Published: Jul 11, 2011 Updated: Jul 11, 2011
Story Notes:
The second installment to the Beat Grimsley Saga.

1. Hidden at the End by Beat15

2. Saying Goodbye by Beat15

3. A Warm Reunion by Beat15

4. The Masks We Wear by Beat15

5. The Life of Beat Grimsley by Beat15

Hidden at the End by Beat15
Author's Notes:
After celebrating a successful plan, Beat sneaks out to investigate a rumor he heard about the castle path.
As the cart reached the inn, the jovial sounds of a violin ceased. A lone boy hopped down from the drivers bench. He then assisted his female companion down. At the back of the cart an older boy staggered out. A small ball of light fell off of this boy's shoulder onto the cold pavement.
"Malon, whatever you fed the cow that made this milk, stop giving it that!" moaned the ball of light.
"I dunno whatchoo talkin bou' Navi." hiccuped the older boy. "I tink it's swell."
"Malon, my dear they're drunk. I think we should take them up to my room." sighed the younger boy. "Richard let's get you upstairs."
"Ok Beat, I don' feel good." laughed Richard.

Malon, being a smart girl went in and found Cyris, the inns owner. He came out and carried the drunk guard upstairs. Beat followed them carrying Navi's small glowing body. Richard was lain in the larger of the two beds in Beat's room. Navi was laid down on a folded blanket. Beat stretched, yawning quietly.
"You take the bed Malon. I'm gonna take a stroll outside." suggested Beat.
"M'kay." yawned Malon. She climbed into the small bed tossing aside a black cloth, she nestled in to get warm.

Beat was in thief mode now. He had left his rapier and violin in his room. He only carried his newly sheathed knife, and a bag of bombchus. He slowly crept through town. If what Leo had said was true then he needed to visit this person. He slipped past the guard outside the castle path. He scaled the ledge, making sure not to cause too much noise. He crawled across the ground until he passed the gates arch. He then jumped down, landing silently on his feet. Pulling a bombchu out, he winded it up, pointing it towards a sign stating "dead end". He followed it's path until it climbed up a boulder at the paths end. It went around the boulder before exploding.

Since it was behind the boulder the sound was muffled. The flash was hidden also, but the golden eyes of this Gerudo saw it all. He crept over to the dead end, and before entering the hidden crawlspace, plucked a large blade of grass. Upon reaching the end of the tunnel he stretched his cramped limbs. He then stepped forward. "Here I go." he whispered.

Stepping upon the Triforce symbol he placed the grass against his mouth. It had been a while since he tried playing a grass-whistle. He took a deep breath and played the song Leo had taught him. Zelda's Lullaby echoed through the cave. Then a flash of light accompanied by a piercing laugh filled the cave.
"Welcome traveler." greeted the giant pink haired woman floating above the fountain. "I am the Great Fairy of Power. I will grant you a magical gift for reaching here."
With another flash Beat found himself holding a small crystal that held a red sphere in it's center.
"Din's Fire!" gasped Beat.
"Use it wisely Grimsley, it will aid you soon." warned the fairy. She then lifted her arms and a flash of light filled the room.

Beat found himself outside the Rusty Dagger, the inn his friends were staying in. He walked inside got a glass of Din's Blessing, a warmed mixture of honey, milk, and barley, and headed upstairs. Taking a drink of the fiery liquid, he opened his door.
"Tomorrow the journey begins." he sighed to himself.
End Notes:
Please review, and tell others of my story. Or visit my web-blog. Link in my profile.
Saying Goodbye by Beat15
Author's Notes:
Many farewells are said, but none are permanent.
Richard was ashamed of himself. He regretted slipping that rum into his milk. He also regretted sharing with Navi. He admitted what he did to Malon and she laughed. Looking at Beat he felt even more embarrassed. He had taken up a bed so his friend had to sleep on the windowsill beside Navi.
"Where is it?" Beat said rummaging through the beds. "It has to be here! If I lost it she's gonna kill me! Sweet Farore, spare me Emilia's wrath."
"Who's Emilia?" Navi asked waking up.
Richard shrugged, turning towards Malon for a hint.
"First I've heard of her." Malon stated. "What are you looking for?"
"My black tunic! I left it on the bed you slept in but now I can't find it!" he cried. He then just collapsed onto the floor shaking. "Richard find the tunic if you want me to live. If it isn't found I will be killed by my adopted mother." he sobbed.

This was the perfect time for Gwen to show up right? Of course! Gwen walked in and saw Beat shivering on the floor. "Oh my!" she gasped, "Mr. Grimsley please follow me, I can make you feel better." she instructed the Gerudo, taking his hand. Before he could refuse she led him up a flight of steps to her room. She sat him down on the bed, cupping his hands in her own. "Just relax." she insisted.
"Gwen I don't, know what your doing, but please stop." he requested taking his hands away.
Before Gwen could respond Malon kicked the door open. "Look bitch! Beat isn't interested!" she shouted.
This angered Gwen, so she decided to jump at Malon. With a short shout she lunged at the farm girl. Malon sidestepped effortlessly making Gwen fly out the door.
"What the hell?" gasped Richard as he was toppled over by Gwen. The girl got up stepping on Richard in a place no man should be stepped on. That's right, she stepped on his... NECK! With a strangled gasp he lifted her foot off his throat.

Beat watched as Gwen ran back inside grabbing Malon by the hair and pulling her towards a wall. Richard staggered in the room clutching his neck. He motioned for Beat to scoot over so he could sit down. Beat obliged and allowed his friend a seat.
"Should we stop them?" Beat asked watching Malon kick Gwen across the room.
Richard shrugged.
"They'll probably fight until noon." Navi stated peeking over Richard's shoulder.
"I'll stop it." Beat said walking towards the fight. Before he could say anything a pot was thrown and it hit Beat square in the forehead, making him pass out. This halted the fight.
"Look what you did you stupid farm tramp!" Gwen shouted rushing over to Beat.
"What I did? You threw the pot! You started the fight! You practically kidnapped him! And don't position his head like that!" she shouted pointing her finger at Gwen burying his face in her breasts.
"Why? Jealous that I'm more endowed than you?" she smugly taunted pointing at Malon's still growing chest.
"I'm thirteen for Nayru's sake!"
"SHUTTUP!!!" wheezed Richard. "Stop your fighting, and let it go. Gwen just let Beat recover, then we'll be leaving."

Beat was unhappy. Here he was standing before Dragmire, listening to his endless insults.
"I can't believe that the Gerudo will have a wimp like you leading them! That's the second time you've passed out!" he laughed.
"I can't help it if Gwen will be the cause of my death!" he shouted.
They were then joined by Nabooru. "Give it a rest Ganon." she ordered.
Ganondorf stuck his tongue out at her and turned his back to them.
"If he was the king, how did we not all die?" Beat asked shaking his head.
"He was surprisingly much more violent, and greedy. Now he's back to the way he was before he had the Triforce." sighed Nabooru.
"Do you think something could have been controlling him?" questioned Beat.
Ganondorf suddenly gasped. "The Skull King! He showed up before I went power-hungry! He said I had to give him my loyalty, but I refused. He had said that I would follow him one way or the other! Then he hit me with this blood red blast of energy, and I lost it!"
Beat was going to say it was a load of bull, but looking at Nabooru he saw that she knew about this Skull King person.
"Beat you go wake up. Ganondorf, you may be getting freed soon if we need to." Nabooru said. Then they all seemed to just turn into dust.

Beat awoke with a shout. His hair was glued to his forehead by his sweat. He gasped realizing what may be happening. This, Skull King, guy was probably the cause of this! He jumped out of bed, and found his tunic laying on the desk, next to a note.
He read the note and it said "Dear Beat, Sorry for making you go through that. I found your tunic, and stitched it back up. It should be hard to notice that it was torn. Sorry for the whole scene back there. Your Friend, Malon."
He sighed and pulled it on over his head. He put his belt on and tied his bombchu bag onto a loop. He put his sheathed knife onto the back loop of his belt, where no one would see it. He then tied a cord around a pouch that held the spell he had gotten last night. He hung that pouch around his neck, tucking in under his tunic. He then put his rapier into it's scabbard on his belt. It hung on his right side, ready to be drawn. He then looped his hookshot into a belt loop that was empty. He was now ready.

Navi was zipping around through the bar. She had to try to get one last drink. Richard had to laugh, she was getting to familiar with alcohol. Malon was waiting outside with the cart, petting the horse she had brought. Grim's Charge had stopped fighting against her. He now let her pet his fur, and let her feed him. He could tell his master trusted her, and so he decided to trust her also. Malon looked at the window where her friend slept. She saw him putting his gear together. She then watched him open the window and jump out of it! She gasped as he landed right next to her cart.
"Enjoy the grand entrance?" he playfully asked.
"You scared me Beat!" she laughed playfully shoving him.
"My apologies, Ms. Lon." he said with a smile. He then headed inside the bar. "Richard get our little puffball and let's go!" he shouted over the roar of the crowd.

Navi heard the name she was called, and turned red. She flew at Beat like a bat out of hell. He carelessly side stepped grabbing her by the wings. This made her angrier. "Unhand me Grimsley!" she shouted as he carried her outside.
"Navi, you're the one that got me into this, so your helping me." Beat stated with a small smile. "And besides, you should come, were going to your old home."
"Kokiri Forest?" she gasped.
"Yeah, but first were stopping at the ranch." Richard added as they climbed into the cart.
Malon took the reigns and started the carts movement. Grim's Charge trotted down the cobblestone path towards the drawbridge. "I'm sure my dad would give you some supplies for how you helped us." she shouted to the passengers in the back.
"We should stop by there Beat." Navi agreed.
"Umm, we already are, we are planning on borrowing Grim's Charge, another horse, and a cart." Beat sighed.

Richard suggested that they should sing to make the trip seem shorter. Malon and Beat obliged happily. Malon sang Epona's song while Beat played it on his violin. Before long they found themselves at Lon Lon Ranch.
Ingo was standing by the gate. He did not look happy. "You're late girl! Do you how much I've had to do because of your absence? Talon left for Kakariko yesterday, so I guess I'll have plenty of time to teach you your place." he smiled cruelly.
"Oh really?" laughed a voice behind Ingo.
Malon looked to see Beat standing behind Ingo. She looked back to see Richard and Navi as surprised as her.
Beat drew his rapier, advancing on Ingo. Ingo tripped onto his face, and looking up in terror staring into pitiless eyes. Beat pointed his blade's point at his victims throat.
"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you!" he shouted.
Ingo just screamed, too panic-stricken to talk. He couldn't find the strength to lift his arms to hide his face.
Everyone was too shocked to react. Beat was poised to skewer Ingo's scrawny neck. Only one person came to Ingo's aid.
"That's quite enough Mr. Grimsley!" shouted a deep rustic voice.
Beat turned to face Talon. No anger or hatred remained in the golden eyes of Beat. He dropped his sword and collapsed onto his knees, weeping. Malon ran to comfort him but Talon stopped her. Richard helped Ingo to his feet and led him inside. Malon went in the house with everyone else, leaving their friend alone with Talon. Talon walked Beat over to a storehouse in the northeast corner of the ranch. He sat Beat down, on some hay.
"It's ok son. Let it out. You had good intentions, but you went a little too far." he comforted.
"I don't know what came over me." he sobbed. "Just, listening to him, it made my blood boil. I just was filled with hatred."
"Trust me, I was coming around, and heard his little declaration. I was about to strangle him." he said with his rustic voice. "I was charging down the path, but then I heard him scream. Then I saw you, and heard your shout. That was a side of you I never thought you had."
"I've snapped like that only one time before. It was someone close to me, he was killed right in front of me. I just snapped, except then, I had no control I didn't pin him, or threaten him. I just pounced on him, and squeezed his neck."
"Go ahead and tell me son. It's starting to rain so we'll have some time."
"Well, I doubt you'll believe me, because it kinda starts over after a point. I'm going to tell you my life story. Including seven years that I get to live again."

Malon and Richard sat at the kitchen table. Navi was flitting around the windows, looking for Beat and Talon. Ingo was huddled in a corner, shaking faster than a frightened Goron.
"Where are they?" Navi sighed going from window to window.
"Daddy probably took him to the storehouse to talk in privacy." Malon stated.
"What was that? What happened to him to make him snap like that?" Richard sighed holding his head in his hands. "He was a totally different person!"
"I don't know, but I hope he doesn't stay that way." Navi replied.
"He won't." Malon stated confidently. "He was just being protective, that's all!"
"I hope you're right Malon. I hope you're right." Richard said shaking his head.

Beat had finished his story, and now laid down clutching his head. Talon sat in the doorway, digesting the information he had just received. This kid has lived through hell! Talon thought to himself. He walked over to the boy and put his hand on his shoulder.
"Don't worry, kiddo. I won't tell anyone what you told me." he comforted.
"Can I stay here tonight? I want to avoid Ingo, and Malon, and everyone else." he sighed, smiling weakly.
"Sure thing. Get some sleep. I'll come see you tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't rain like it did when I met you."
"Ok Talon." agreed Beat. He watched as Talon headed outside. "Goodbye." he whispered.

That night the rain started to pour. Everyone slept peacefully, except Beat. He walked up to the cart. He grabbed his violin case, and a bottle of milk. He pinned a note to the door. He unhitched Grim's Charge and rode away silently. He cried as he saw the ranch growing farther away. He had to leave, or else he would hurt somebody. I'll just go to the forest on my own, he thought. He rode until he was about to collapse off the horse. He rode the horse to a river bed and tied him to a nearby spruce tree. He rested his head against the trunk and sighed.
"I'm just like him!" he cried out. He closed his eyes, letting the tears flow down his cheeks. "I'm alone again. Out in Hyrule field, in the rain. Except this time, there's no stalfos to attack me." he laughed to himself.

When Malon woke up she felt a great sadness coating the ranch, like fog. She went to the door, and opened it. As the door came inwards she saw a piece of paper fall to the ground. The rain had stopped, but it was still overcast. She bent over to read the note and gasped. She read it over and over, trying to understand what it meant. She placed the note on the table, and took a seat. She put her arms on the table, and held her head. She silently cried to herself, "He's gone." repeatedly.

Richard could feel something tugging at his insides. He got up and headed towards the kitchen. There he found Malon crying at the table. Navi was hovering over her trying to comfort her. Richard looked to Navi, and she pointed towards the paper on the table. Richard picked it up, and gasped.

The letter was short, and it read like this:
My dear friends, I'm leaving this message to tell you I've left. I'm going to the forest on my own. I beg you don't follow me. I will do what is needed for my people, but then I will leave Hyrule. Malon, I want you to know, you were very special to me. Tell Ingo, I'm sorry. Sincerely Beat Grimsley.
P.S. Goodbye.
End Notes:
Please review and visit my blog, http://beatgrimsleysaga.blogspot.com/.
A Warm Reunion by Beat15
Author's Notes:
After every sad farewell a heartwarming reunion is always nice.
Upon reading Beat's farewell letter, Talon became upset. He told Richard to take their fastest horse, hitch it to the cart, get some supplies and follow Beat. He wasn't angry about his horse being taken. He was angry that the boy had just ran off. Richard did what he was told. He hitched a brown mare with a white patch on his right side named Starcatcher to the cart. Malon helped pack the supplies into the cart. She had stopped crying, and was now determined to find her friend.
Navi couldn't help much so she sat in the cart. She was shaken by what had happened. She knew that Beat needed his friends so she was going to help him.

Beat, however, was thinking the complete opposite. "They're better off without me." he said to himself,  taking a small sip of the milk he had brought. He watched the sun climb through the sky, noting that he was close to Gerudo Valley. "Great, I'm going the wrong way!" he shouted. He turned his horse around to head towards the other direction. He traveled east away from his home, to the lush green forest.

"Ok, before you go take these." Talon said handing Richard a pair of leather gloves. "They may not fit you, but they can't be cut from the outside. They also can't be burned, so use these to help you." 
"They don't fit." sighed Richard. "I'll give them to Beat when I find him."
"You mean when we find him!" Navi reminded flying into his forehead.
"Oh right. When 'we' find him." he corrected himself.
"I'm coming along!" Malon said running towards the cart. Talon stopped her, shaking his head. "Darling, if he sees you, he'll probably break down and start bawling again. Just stay here until he comes here himself." 
"Fine!" she shouted, tears filling her eyes. She ran inside, locking herself in her room. 
"Just go ahead and git going." suggested the old farmer.
Richard climbed up and took the reigns, he made sure Navi was close by, which she was. He then whipped the horse into action.
Malon watched from her window as they rode down the path. She sighed as she turned away. She knew no work would be done today. She closed the curtain and crawled into her bed.
She heard her father shouting at Ingo. She was surprised at what her father was saying. Ingo had done things that made Talon angry before, but was always allowed to stay. Now she heard her father saying he never wanted to see Ingo again. And if he came near the ranch again he would be tied to a horse and be dragged across Hyrule field until he would be unrecognized by his own mother. After that she heard a door open as someone ran out of it.  She ran to her curtain to see Ingo running away from the ranch, never to be seen by the Lon family ever again.

Beat was getting tired. He had only stopped to catch his breath once. His horse refused to move any further. He was too tired to move. The Gerudo looked up at the sky to see the sun's light escaping through the clouds. He was a few miles north of the ranch. He took another sip of the milk, which was the only thing keeping him from breaking down. He had taken a sip  every stop he had made. The milk gave him energy to keep moving. He laid down next to his horse, staring at the cloud filled sky. He felt calm out in the field. The calm overtook him, and he fell asleep. He had been trying to avoid sleeping. 
"Well, that was rather surprising!" exclaimed Ganondorf.
"Just leave me alone. I know what you're going to say." begged the boy.
"What is that?"
"I'm just like you." he moaned pitifully.
"Thats where you're wrong." began Ganondorf. "That was much worse than me. And don't take it like I'm trying insult you. You may have something in you that makes you act that way. I mean I had a spell on me." he shrugged turning his back to Beat.
"You may be right Ganondorf." agreed Nabooru.
Beat remained silent. He crouched down holding his head which shook with his entire body.
Ganondorf put his hand on Beat's shoulder. When he looked up at him, Ganondorf gave him a friendly smile. "Don't worry, you have us!"
"Yeah, you need to calm down. Just relax and sleep till your better.
Beat nodded. He drifted into a dream unlike any of his others. He had a dream where he was living as the kind, gentle Ganondorf. He helped the Gerudo train and such. He even assisted the twin witches that raised him. He was headed towards the hut where the Grimsleys lived. He heard they had just had a child, and he wanted to congratulate them. Unfortunately, they lived on the other side of the fortress. On his way he was stopped by a man of some sort. His face had no flesh, just his skull showed. Where his eyes once remained were hollowed sockets, with green flames glowing dimly. His body was a mixture of armor and bone. He wore a suit of armor similar to the suit Ganondorf wore, except his was blood red. 
"Are you Dragmire?" he asked. His voice was strained and hoarse. 
"Yes sir. May I ask who you are?" he replied coldly. He didn't trust outsiders, and this one screamed something was going to happen.
"I am known as the Skull King. I'm here to have you pledge your loyalty to me." he stated bluntly.
"Pretty gutsy move. What's stopping me from refusing?" he asked suspiciously.
"I will have your loyalty!" shouted the Skull King. His hand started glowing dark crimson. He pointed his hand at Ganondorf was engulfed in the blood colored energy. "Feel yourself grow with Greed! Kill every male creature here." he ordered.
"I'll happily oblige!" cackled Ganon.
"Good, now don't disappoint me!" ordered the man of bones diving into he ground.
"I'll serve as your weapon, and kill every man here. Starting with Grimsley!"

As Beat slept, a cart pulled up to him. A boy climbed down, checking who it was.
"It's Beat!" he laughed, "We found him!"
"Great!" exclaimed his female companion. "He was closer than we expected."
Her male partner picked him up, placing him in the cart. He climbed back up into the drivers' bench. His female friend watched Beat sleep on. They attached his horse to the cart and rode on towards their destination.

Malon was still upset by Beat's absence. He had said she was special to him, so why did he leave? She pondered this as she worked. Little did she know he was closer than she thought.

Richard continued steering the cart, it was difficult with Navi shouting at him.
"Richard, come on listen to me! You're going the wrong way!"
"Navi, it's hard to steer with a fairy bitching in your ear!" he shouted back.
Now Navi turned red, she was pissed. "Bitching? Oh I'll show you bitching! You don't even know the meaning of the word!" 
Richard decided to ignore the fairy now. He had to focus, Beat was out there somewhere.

"Wake up my darling." cooed a soothing voice familiar to Beat.
He opened his eyes to see a girl, who was about thirteen, with curly blonde hair leaning over him. She smiled when she saw him open his eyes.
"Oh, hey there Penny." he yawned, being sure to cover his mouth. "Where's Peter?"
"Steering this cart, but your damn horse ain't listenin'!" shouted the boy steering.
"Oh, hey Peter." waved Beat.
"Yeah, hey Grimsley, now help me!" ordered the blonde haired boy.
"Grim, easy boy." sighed Beat. 
The cart suddenly lurched. It now went an even pace instead of going at an angle at a high speed. 
"There ya go. Now why did you get me in your cart? Wait, did you steal my kidneys?" he gasped.
"Real original." laughed Peter. "We never thanked you for helping our town, so we thought we'd help you out in whatever you were doing."
"We've been looking for you, ever since you left Baygreen Town."
"Holy sh... I mean, wow. You followed me since I left your town?" Beat gasped blushing.
"Yeah. We're headed towards a place that has real good stables where travelers are welcome to stay a night or two." Penny added.
"Penelope, you can let go of Beat now." stated Peter looking over his shoulder.
"It's fine. Where are we going?" Beat laughed.
"Lon Lon Ranch!" exclaimed the young girl. "So what do you say?" 
Beat's heart sank. He could feel his blood leaving his face. He started to say something but then stopped. He couldn't talk because he saw a blazing horse rushing towards them in the night's darkness. He shouted and the two turned to see this horse from hell.
"Shit!" shouted Peter.
"Oh no! They found us!" gasped Penelope.
Beat regained his voice and asked "Who the hell is that?"
"A guy that wants us dead." whined the young girl. 
"When we left our town we saw a man who was chased by that horse. I took a bow and arrow and shot the horse. The rider looked at us and we were stared at by a skull with blue eyes like fire!" Peter explained trying to get away.
"Skull King." gasped Beat.
"Give Up Whelps!" boomed a grinding voice. "First I'll kill the damn fool who shot my horse! Then I'll keep the girl as my pet!" he cackled. 
Beat leapt from the cart. His eyes burned bright with hate. He pulled his rapier out of it's sheath in midair, stabbing it into the crimson horses head. He leapt back watching the horse disperse in flames. The rider stood where the horse once was. He looked at Beat, a cruel grin forming on his faceless skull. He held his hand out and a scimitar with a black blade grew out of his arm. He clutched the bone hilt and rushed at Beat. 
"I've found you, Holder of Rage!" he laughed. 
"Now I avenge my parent's murder!" screamed Beat. He pulled the pouch attached to his neck off it's cord. Ripping it open he clutched the spell. "DIN'S FIRE!!!"
The skull faced man was swallowed by searing red flames. He fell to the earth, being burned to his death. But before he was burnt to crisp, the fires stopped. Beat walked up to him, his breath short and quick.
"So, you're the one I'm supposed to find? He never said you could use magic. Oh well, now Father knows what you're capable of." moaned the man.
"You're not the Skull King." sighed Beat. He took a deep breath. "What's this Rage you talked about? And what are you?"
"I'm a Bone Soldier. A member of the Skull Army. I am the one chosen to hunt you down, to confirm if you were who our king thought you were. I just confirmed he was right. As for what Rage is, I'm not permitted to speak of that. All I can say is, look at your left hand." wheezed the skull faced fighter. He then fell apart, leaving a pile of bones on the singed ground.
Beat looked at his left hand. He could make out a faint glowing shape on the back of his left hand. It then shone bright revealing an black Triforce pointing down. The left portion glowed a silvery black and then faded. 
"What the hell am I?" he shouted up at the full moon above him. He fell to his knees, shaking. He then felt a firm hand grab each shoulder. He looked to his left to see Peter, on his right Richard. Looking back he saw two carts stopped a short walk from where they stood. 
"Relax, you've got friends with you now." comforted Richard.
"Yeah, don't worry about that. I think it's our fault that thing was here." apologized Peter.
Beat sighed. He stood up, looked at his two friends, and put his arms around there shoulders. "Alright, I just have a few things to take care of. First thing, Richard this is Peter, older of the Baygreen Town Twins. Peter, this is Richard, a royal guard who can easily become a knight. Second I'm going to search that pile of bones for something, call it a hunch, but I feel like he has something of value." 
Peter and Richard walked back to the carts, starting a short conversation. Beat walked over to the remains of the bone soldier. He sifted through the armor. He then found a strange object wrapped in black cloth. 
"Fireproof leather." he muttered. He opened unwrapped the object revealing a bow. "Will's bow? The last I heard, he was heading out to start searching for treasures along the cliffs by his village. But he vanished, didn't he?" this was puzzling him. He picked up the bow and continued searching. He then found another fireproof pouch. Inside was a bottle with a strange flame in it. He opened the bottle releasing the orange flame. It then took the form of a sixteen year old boy. He was slightly taller than Beat, but only due to him floating in the air.
"Long time no see Grimsley. Remember me?" asked the being of fire.
"Will? What happened?" gasped the Gerudo.
"Hmm well it's kinda complicated. I was scaling the cliffs by my village, when a blazing horse appeared before me. It had a guy with no face and eyes like fire."
"What color flame?" asked Beat.
"Oh right, the eyes were green fire. He told me to become his soldier, but I refused. Then he blasted me down the cliff. I fell onto my back, breaking my neck. He then pulled my spirit out, placing it in a bottle. I watched as he took a bone off his armor and stabbed it into my arm. Then my body started changing into a blue eyed monster. He handed my bottle to him and vanished leaving a burn mark on the ground. He packed my bow into a package thing, then shoved my bottle into that pouch. Looks like you released this sap." Will's spirit sighed. "Thanks for saving me again Beat. Looks like I won't be able to pay you back, seeing as I'm not going to become rich now that I'm dead. The best I can do is nothing."
"Not exactly." interrupted a strange voice. 
Beat looked and found himself facing a strange looking man with a huge pack, covered in masks. 
"You see, I know a way of soothing lost spirits, young man, do you have an instrument?" laughed the man.
"I have a violin," Beat replied he was uneasy, this guy just freaked him out with that weird grin of his.
"Quick, go fetch it." ordered the man.
Beat ran to the carts. He asked for his violin, which Navi was resting on. Peter handed it to him, but before he could ask him what he needed it for he was gone.
Beat returned to find the man had erected a pipe organ in the darkness. "Now quickly play this song!" he said playing a short song. "This song is known as the Song of Healing. It can ease lost spirits and turn them into masks. You will be able to use your friend's abilities if you wear the mask you make."
"If you say so." Beat sighed playing the song. He then felt a wave of peace flow through him. He saw Will disappear, and a mask fell to the ground where he was floating just a second ago. He picked up the mask, astounded by the likeness of his old friend.
"Use this song to heal any spirits you find on your journey. And feel free to stop by my store in the castle town." he called as he walked off.
"Weird. What happens if I put this on?" he wondered. He placed the mask onto his face, and then gasped at what he saw.
End Notes:
Review and visit my blog http://beatgrimsleysaga.blogspot.com/
The Masks We Wear by Beat15
Author's Notes:
Oh no! The Mask Salesman Returns! A few masks can't hurt, but they can remind one of the past.
Beat found himself in a black fog. But with him was Will, who was swimming in rupees. He tossed several gold rupees into the air. This was Will's dream come true. He then stood face to face with his old friend.
"Listen buddy. I was killed outside my village. But nobody knows I'm dead. If you go by Lanru, wear the mask, you'll take my body. You'll find out what you can do as me real soon." he laughed.
Beat was blinded by an avalanche of rupees falling on top of him. But when he could see again he felt different. He was more rugged, and his hair felt longer. He felt the curls, "Wait my hair was straight!" he exclaimed, but even his voice wasn't his own. He could see better also. "What happened?" he asked.
"You're me." laughed Will's voice inside Beat's head.
"What?" Beat gasped.
"You're me. You can shoot more accurately and see farther now. You can also climb faster as me, since I was such a skilled climber." Will smugly stated.
"How do I change back?"
"Take off the mask."
"The mask is gone!" panicked Beat.
"For the love of Nayru, just grab your chin and pull away from your head!" shouted Will.
Beat did as he was told. Surprisingly the mask came off. He found the bow missing now, but Will reassured he had it. The Gerudo tucked the mask into his tunic, wanting to hide it from the others. He walked back towards he carts to reunite with friends, both old and new. Richard was teaching the twins how to make bird calls, which annoyed Navi.
"Richard, please stop those sounds, I'm trying to sleep." whined Navi.
"I'm tired two!" Penny added.
"Then climb into the cart. There should be blankets in the chest." suggested Peter.
"Alright Big Brother."
As Penelope went into the cart Beat arrived at the fire that illuminated there campsite. He motioned for the two boys to remain quiet.
"We are in trouble." Beat whispered.
"What is it?" Richard asked.
"That Bone Soldier thing, it had a human spirit! It was an old friend of mine too. He was trapped in a bottle, and he witnessed the creation of the thing I fought. After I talked to the spirit a weird guy showed up with a ton of masks. He told me I could turn my friend into a mask by playing a song. He taught me this Song of Healing, and my friends spirit became a mask!" explained Beat.
"Please Grimsley! You may fool Penny with that story, but you won't fool me!" Peter argued.
"Fine, I'll prove it to you!" he snapped pulling out the mask.
"So?" Richard asked staring at the mask. " You could've bought it from your creepy mask salesmen."
"Sorry my friend, but I don't sell masks like than one." chimed in a friendly voice.
Richard and Peter jumped at the sound of him. Beat laughed to hide the fact that he was also scared.
"What's wrong with you?" asked the shaking Peter.
"Ugh, you're the mask shop owner in the castle town." Richard stated. Where've you been?"
"Oh, out gathering some new masks. Would you like to see them?" the salesmen eagerly asked.
"Sure." Peter answered, now calm.
The masks he brought out were amazing! There were several masks that caught the eye. Beat looked at the Mask of Truth, it stirred something inside him. Peter begged for the Blast Mask, offering all the rupees he had. He was permitted to have it since it would make him happy. Richard was intrigued by the Stone Mask. He wanted to wear it but decided not to try.
"You two may choose a mask that makes you happy." offered the salesmen. "You may also choose two for your friends in the carts."
"I'm interested in this one." Beat said grabbing the Mask of Truth.
"Ahh the Mask of Truth! That is a Sheikah artifact, used to read the minds of others. But nowadays non-Sheikah can't use it's powers."
"I know. I've heard myths about it's capabilities." stated Beat.
"Well, that's rather surprising. Only few people know of it's powers." chuckled the salesmen. "I see you're interested in the Stone Mask." he said turning towards Richard.
"Yeah, it just makes me curious as to what it does." Richard replied rubbing the back of his head.
"You may have it. It is my dream to fill the world with happiness brought by the joys of masks!" sighed the salesman in delight.
"Well these masks are delightful!" laughed Beat. "I find this one quite amusing." he said pointing to the Great Fairy Mask. "I bet Navi would love it."
"That mask has a way of attracting lost fairies." explained the grinning man.
"What about this one?" Peter asked pulling out the Circus Leaders Mask.
Beat gasped, seeing the likeness of Ingo. He started shaking profusely.
"Aw bloody hell!" muttered Richard. He smacked the mask out of Peter's hands, glaring at the blonde. He shook Beat trying to calm him down. "Perhaps you could use that song to help him calm down?"
"I'm sorry, but it only heals spiritual wounds, not emotional or mental wounds. Fret not though. He just needs to sleep." apologized the mask salesmen. "Oh, I suppose I should be leaving, seeing as I caused some stress. Enjoy the masks!" laughed the man. He stood up and picked up the masks that were ignored. He smiled and waved as he walked off into the night.
Peter shamefacedly climbed into the cart with his sister. He was feeling guilty for his friends stress attack.
Richard was comforting his friend who was still shivering. "Relax buddy, we're heading to Kokiri Forest tomorrow."
Beat could only nod. He was still in shock. He watched as Richard walked to the cart he arrived in. He decided to sleep outside next to the fire. He yawned, his body finally listening to him. He drifted off into slumber. He was surprised by the dream he had. No meeting with his fellow Gerudo. No memories of Ganondorf's life. He was back in the forest he had visited before. He was standing before a child. A young girl with green hair, she sat on a tree stump before him in a secret grove surrounded by trees. She was playing a happy song that echoed throughout the woods. He felt like he owed this girl his loyalty.
"Hello Mr. Grimsley." she greeted after finishing he song.
"Hello my friend." Beat replied bowing before the girl.
She giggled and then said " My name is Saria. I am the Forest Sage. When you come to my village, seek out me in my home. From there I will guide you to the Lost Woods. I can't guarantee you'll be permitted to enter, but play the song I was just playing to show that you are a friend of mine."
"Ok Saria. I hope I will make it there soon." Beat stated laughing.
"Beat, you play a vital role in all of this. I know the pain you are suffering from. You are hiding the truth from your friends. Take off your mask, and tell them your story."
"But I..."
"If they are true friends, they will believe you."
"All right. I'll tell them. Thank you Saria."
"You're welcome Mr. Grimsley. Sleep well." she smiled.

Beat woke up shortly before sunrise. He grabbed his violin and began practicing the song he heard. Navi heard the familiar song, and shot into the air. She flew towards Beat, who just finished playing.
"How'd you learn that song?" she asked flashing green.
"I heard it in a dream." he laughed.
"Don't forget what I told you Beat!" reminded a voice in his head.
"What the?" he gasped.
"You can talk to me when you play this song." answered Saria in his head. "Now tell her."
Later, he told Saria in his thoughts. "So did I play it right?" he asked looking at the fairy.
"Perfectly!" she exclaimed.
"Good." sighed Beat in relief.

After everyone woke up and breakfast served, Beat decided it was time to tell his story.
"Listen up everyone!" he shouted over the laughter at Peter blowing himself up with the mask he had gotten.
"What's up?" asked Peter pinching a piece of hair that was sizzling in the heat of the explosions.
"I've been hiding my past from you, and now I have to tell my story." he explained.
"Alright. We'll eat while you tell your story. If we finish eating you can keep telling us as we ride towards the woods." advised Richard.
"Alright, I'll start from the beginning of the little hell I call my life."
End Notes:
Please review or view my blog. Link In my profile.
The Life of Beat Grimsley by Beat15
Author's Notes:
The story of Beat's life. Simple as that.
"Alright, I'll start from the beginning of the little hell I call my life."

"I was the son of a Hylian named Martin Grimsley, and a Gerudo named Samantha. It was common for Gerudo women to abduct men to reproduce, but my mother fell in love with the man she found. She loved this Hylian and had agreed to marry him. They lived in the Gerudo Fortress, and were friendly to all of the people there. About two years after the marriage I was born. Many of our neighbors came to visit them, and see me. They were amazed that I was male. Even more by the Hylian traits I had. I have the pointed ears and rounded nose of a Hylian, and lighter skin than the rest of my race. I was visited by many of the Gerudo warriors. I was cared for by a young girl named Nabooru. She cared for me like I was her brother.
Then about a week after my birth, calamity struck. Our young king, Ganondorf Dragmire, went mad. He killed every male in the fortress. He went after my father very early. After my father was killed my mother ran into the desert with me by her side. She had been hit by several energy blasts made by our king. He was in his early twenties, so he still needed to perfect his control. She ran for three days without stop, trying to protect me. On the fourth day she collapsed. She had not eaten for those three days. Not even the goddesses could have saved her. She was found by a wandering Sheikah. The Sheikah was requested to care for me until I was old enough to learn to fend for myself.
Romero, the Sheikah that adopted me, raised me as his son. He cared for me along with his girlfriend Emilia. Although Romero was a trained Sheikah warrior, Emilia was the one who scared me. She was the chief's sister. She sewed my clothes for me. Therefore she could embarrass me. She avoided the Gerudo tradition and kept me dressed in dark colors. I also got to avoid wearing the war paint that was a Sheikah tradition. I did wear the sacred eye crest though. My choice.
I was trained to fight in the shadows, able to detect the slightest movement in the darkness. I was a little more suited to doing this than other children in the tribe. I had the enhanced vision of a Gerudo, the magical gifts of Hylians, and darker skin and hair.
Romero was my best friend. He taught me everything I know about Sheikah history. I learned of the Mask of Truth, and of the Triforce. He also taught me about music. He played the violin, and taught me how to play one too. He gave me he one I carried with me when I traveled back to Hyrule. But he also taught me the cruel fate of my parents.
After I turned five he brought me to the place I was born. There I met the girl who cared enough to remember who I was after I came back. Nabooru. She was visiting my old home to honor my dead parents. For it was the day I turned five that I met Nabooru.
She took me into her home to train me to be able to fight like a Gerudo. I trained with her for four years. In those four years I was kept hidden from our king. After I celebrated my ninth birthday with her, my fellow male Gerudo found out about me.
He had visited Nabooru, trying to get her to become his queen. She refused, but he tried to force her. So I intervened. I ran out and tackled him away from her. After seeing me he started to collect energy on his hand. Nabooru ordered me to run, so I did. I ran from the girl who risked her life to protect me. It was then I was convinced that I loved her.
I did run as she told me to, but I became lost after I lost sight of fortress. I wondered out in the desert for a day. Then I was saved by a melody.
I remembered that I had left my violin at Nabooru's home, so maybe she was playing the song she taught me. The notes were similar to it, but were off every few notes. I followed the sound of music to find my black-haired Sheikah father. I ran to embrace him, but he stopped me by jabbing my stomach with his violin's bow. He scolded me for forgetting my training to control myself from outbursts like the one in my friend's home. I asked how he knew and he explained how he cast a spell on the violin so he could hear my actions. He had learned the song I had learned from Nabooru at the same time as me. But after hearing I was told to run he waited to hear what happened. He heard Nabooru say she was honoring my mother by raising me. Ganondorf then began smashing things, including the violin. After that Romero began playing the song, hoping I would hear it. He then picked me up and cried into my shoulder. He told me how glad he was to see me alive again.
I resumed training with him again, but now I used a mixture if Gerudo and Sheikah fighting techniques. I could easily beat anyone who challenged me. But then after another year of training I received a visit from Nabooru. She said that Ganondorf was planning on taking over Hyrule. She warned me to avoid going to places that had evil presences and returned to her home.
After that warning Timber, our chief, ordered we prepare to relocate. The tribe lived in tents, but had resided in that area for thirty years. So the move was tough. We left the desert to find a mountain range area by a river. We established our new home a days march from a cliffside village called Lanru. I was permitted to go there often by the chief, as our representative. I often went to the school to learn of other races.
When I was eleven I left the tribe to live with my friend Will. He was a skilled archer, and had a knack for finding hidden treasures. I was allowed to stay with him as long as I helped him hunt for lost riches. He was tough and rugged, but easily hated.
One day we had wandered into the shop with a collection of gold jewelry. We found them hidden in a cave on the cliffside. We each kept one thing: he kept a necklace for himself, and I chose a pair of earrings for Emilia. I often snuck into her home to leave her small treasures I kept. As Will sold the gold for a hefty price, a man barged into the store with a knife drawn. He ordered we give all we had to him. Will refused, so I also refused. The man rushed at Will, but I jumped in front of him, taking the knife through my right arm. I then grabbed hold of his arm with my left hand and pulled the knife out of my arm. I winced slightly from the removal of the blade, but I remained tough. I threw the knife to the ground and charged at the robber. I shoved him out the door, and as he got up to rush back at me I leapt high in the air. I extended right leg and brought it down on the man's head. He fell to the ground unconscious.
The shopkeeper gave us every rupee he had to thank us. We also received a bounty from the local guard station. We had gotten three hundred rupees that day. We were happily dancing about until we realized needed to get medical help.
Will rushed me to a doctor, and spent every second of his time waiting for me to recover. I was stitched up, full of red potion, and two hundred rupees lighter. Will promised he would pay me back for saving his life, and then took off, guilt written on his face.
I left town that night, and I returned to the tribe for about a week. I decided to wander around Hyrule, or whatever country we were in. I left with a bag of supplies and my new violin given to me by Romero. I waved farewell as I headed north.
I traveled for a year meeting new people, exploring new places, and learning new songs. I got into some minor fights, broke a few hearts, and got a few bones broken. Then I found it: the ocean!
I wandered into the town of Baygreen where the locals were being made to serve as slaves to a band of pirates that weighed anchor there. I decided to blend in with the locals to gather info on the tyrants. There I met the twins: Peter and Penelope. Their father had been killed along with many other men who tried to defend the town. I was angered by this. In the dead of night I slipped through the guards on the ship and found the captain, Onua Wavecrasher. I found his knife and held it to his neck to wake him up. I led him on-deck and shouted to his crew that if they wanted him to live they would leave Baygreen. They surrendered, but then Onua pulled a sword from one of his men's belts and attacked me. I, armed with a small dagger, defended myself. I blocked his slashes with the blade of my knife, and then ducked under his big swing. I ran up to him and plunged the small knife into his heart. I left it in his body as I let him fall to the deck. The crew then began apologizing for the actions of their captain. They sailed away afterwards. I stayed for a week at the newly liberated town, becoming good friends with the twins. I then left to return home.
When I reached my tribe I was thirteen. And I was happy to find the news there. Romero and Emilia had gotten married. I congratulated them when I saw them. But then we were thrown into darkness when I turned fourteen.
Ganon had overthrown the king of Hyrule! But the darkness slowly spread. It reached our home when I was sixteen.
One day while Romero and I were training in our secret alcove, I had my first breakdown. Romero was hated by a merciless Sheikah named Ferahgo. He came in while we were caught in the heat of battle and stabbed Romero in the back of his heart. I watched as the knife came through my father's chest, blood splattering to the ground. He fell to the ground, blood forming a pool on the floor. I turned to see the assailant laughing madly. I looked at the knife, realizing it was my own. He said everyone would shun me now because I was the owner of the knife inside Romero. I couldn't control myself, my blood boiled, I had to avenge my father. I jumped up grabbing him by the throat. I squeezed as tight as I could. I gripped his throat tight enough that the veins in my arm bulged out. I crushed his windpipe with my hands. I released him from my grip and found I had dug into his neck with my fingers, drawing blood. I ran to the chief to tell him what happened.
He, along with the tribe, followed me to the training area. I was not convincing though. I had the trust of Emilia and Timber, but not the tribe. I was exiled from the village. I was only allowed to keep my violin thanks to the chief. I was given a bag of supplies by Emilia who cried as I waved goodbye to my only friends who believed me.
Ganondorf had been ruling Hyrule for four years when I found myself leaving Hyrule. I couldn't face seeing the land fall to waste. But then I remembered the twins, and Will.
I was eighteen when I reunited with Will. He had been in a lot of fights since I left. He now wore an eyepatch over his left eye. There was a long jagged scar running down his face explaining how he lost his eye. He was happy to see me. But insisted that come with him to a hidden valley. There we found a large amount of precious jewels embedded in the walls of the cliffs. We called it the Spirit's Gorge, based on the way the lights reflected off these stones looked like spirits flying around. We spent months down there finding all kinds of gems. We sold a lot to jewelers to get some rupees so we could eat.
After a year of that Will was crushed under a landslide. I had my right leg broken by a boulder. I had to wait three months before I could walk again.
I decided to visit Baygreen after I recovered. There I found it was pretty much abandoned. Only an old man who I recognized as the shopkeeper was still there. Everyone else had left.
So I was nineteen, scared and alone, in a world where Ganon had ruled for five years, going on six after the day I left Baygreen.
I left Hyrule then. I roamed a country called Vakanon, where volcanos were numerous. I stayed there for the sixth and seventh year of Ganon's control. There I worked as a blacksmith, making tools and weapons for anyone who paid. I hated the life I had.
About a month after the eighth year was beginning I awoke with a surprise. I found my body's scars of hardship were gone. I was fourteen again. And nobody seemed to know about the relapse in time. After I realized I was in my biological parent's home, I ran to find Nabooru. She was actually looking for me also. She said that I was going to become the Gerudo King. I couldn't believe my ears! She then started a committee to prepare for the ceremony. I had about two months of freedom.
I returned to Lanru, where the tribe's reason for moving was "We wanted a change in scenery." But now Romero was alive. I had about two years before he was going to be killed. When I returned to my people, they were ready to crown me. But I was too scared. I decided to run just as Nabooru was about to begin putting the king's armor on me.
I ran to Lanru to stay with Will. He was planning an expedition to explore the other side of the cliffs. He then left three months after my reunion with him.
I then went to Baygreen. I spent my second fifteenth birthday with Peter and Penelope. I stayed until a great fire started in the town. I led a small group that pumped water onto the flames. After the damage was repaired I left.
And then I found myself in the storm where I met Navi. Praying to the goddesses when my violin from Romero was damaged by the stalfos that attacked me. You all know where it goes from there."

Beat yawned looking up at the sky seeing the sun set over the horizon. They were waiting outside the forest. His friends sat in silence, absorbing the story he told. They felt bad for the way he lived.
"Well, you're not alone Beat!" exclaimed Peter breaking the silence. "We can help you get past that."
"Yeah Grimsley, we owe you that much." Penelope added.
"It's my job to help you." shrugged Richard smiling.
"What about you Navi?" Beat asked smiling.
"You're crazy," she stated, "but you're more fun than Link." she finished laughing.
"Who's Link?" asked Penelope.
This evoked a mass of laughter. But after the laughing stopped Peter and Richard asked with Penelope. As Navi told her story, Beat nestled into a blanket. He drifted off to sleep, with Navi's story going on in the background.
"Well done Grimsley." congratulated Ganondorf.
"You've accepted your call to destiny!" exclaimed Nabooru.
"You have removed the mask of secrets you wore." added Saria. "I'll see you soon. But only you and Navi may enter. Tell the rest to wait outside the woods." she ordered.
"Alright. Tomorrow, just me and Navi enter the forest to find the Forset Sage Warrior!" Beat nodded.
End Notes:
Hooray! You know Beat's life story now.
This story archived at http://www.kasuto.net/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=2705