The Legend of Zelda: Empire of Darkness by Shrub
Summary: Link returns home seven years later after he defeated Majora. Link wasn't expecting anything wrong about his old home, but he was brought to a rude awakening. Link is now handed his most overwhelming challenge he has ever faced. Link and his friends begin their struggle against the Drow Empire and themselves. New enemies and friends await our hero, but as he fights the dark empire his sanity slowly begins to slip through his fingers.
Warning: May contain some violence, adult language, and sexual situations.
Categories: Fan Fiction Characters: Darunia, Impa, Link (OoT & MM), Malon, Nabooru, Princess Zelda, Ruto, Saria
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 21145 Read: 44020 Published: Sep 10, 2004 Updated: May 23, 2009
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media ... in other words, I don't own Zelda.

Hey everyone, it’s here--finally. The first few chapters of my revision of Empire of Darkness. I know most of you just wanted to know what happens next, but too bad, it’s gonna be a while. I’m just not satisfied with my old writing. So trust me, this EoD is going to be a lot kooler.

For the newbies reading, a little summary is in order. Empire of Darkness takes place after Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. After the events of Majora’s Mask he got lost in the gap between dimensions, that forest in other words, for seven years. However, I added a little pre-story before this one in which Link had traveled to another world called Sekin. There he met the original characters Rontu, Kira, and Tila. After his adventure there he managed to find his way back to Hyrule.

Oh, and for the Zelda characters I like to have them use Japanese suffixes, since the Zelda games are created in Japan, and I like to make it part of the Zelda world culture.

Enjoy!
Dark Events by Shrub
Chapter One:
Dark Omens


Rain sprinkled over him in light harmless drops. Link raised his head to gaze over the field he had been searching for. Seven years it’s been since he’s seen it. The familiar plain brought lightness to his heart that has been mostly heavy on his journey back. Part of him wanted to forget all that had happened in Sekin: forget Rontu, Kira, Tila, Rai ... and Tarrowco. The sight of his home land made him forget”but only for a moment.

The field of Hyrule was mostly large rolling hills covered with short mossy grass, often balding in some places. Dark storm clouds covered the deep blue sky he remembered from his childhood. The thick gray clouds cast shadows all over the fields, rumbling like a beast growling a warning. They reminded him of something he thought he had long forgotten. It was something Zelda had said once. Clouds covering Hyrule … Storms always made him uncomfortable ever since. They always seemed to him as a bad omen. Warning him of a perilous and difficult journey ahead that he could never fully understand until it was upon him.

It wasn’t pouring yet, but Link knew it wouldn’t be long. The smell of rain was strong in the air.

It took him a moment to notice that Epona had stopped as well. He gave her white mane a pat, letting her take in the sights and smells of their old home. He pulled the gray hood of his wool cloak over his head, however, remaining still for a moment longer. Now that he was home, he wasn’t sure what to do or where to go. It wasn’t really a new feeling. Link couldn’t say that he ever had a solid home to come back to. He had sometimes wondered if he should come back to Hyrule at all, since there was no place he felt he could settle down comfortably in. The only thing that kept him searching for it was the lingering memories of old friends.

Malon would let him stay at the ranch for a few days while he figured out what to do with himself. Link’s sapphire eyes stared out at the dark shadow of Hyrule Castle in the distance. His blonde eyebrows furrowed thoughtfully. Would he really stay in Hyrule for long? After visiting with old friends, what else would there be for him here? Could he ever see himself settling down somewhere in Hyrule or anywhere for that matter? One day he will be old and weak and unable to travel any longer. Would he come back here someday to retire?

Link let a breath pass quietly through his nose, staring at his home with a gentle melancholy. Any lightness it had brought him had vanished once more and heaviness crawled back in again. He didn’t know why it was so hard for him to hold still. He moved Epona into a quick gallop, heading in the direction that he knew her ranch would be in.

The rain continued to sprinkle but only softly. Half an hour or so passed before Lon Lon Ranch came into view but still only a large shadow. However, the sight of the ranch made him slow Epona to a stop. Link stared baffled by the large figure of the place. It was much larger than it should have been. Was it because he had been away for so long? No”the ranch was never that size. The walls were never so tall and long. Had everything changed so much in seven years? Who was he to doubt that, when he had seen such changes before?

Everything could change in seven years.

Change did not necessarily mean a bad thing, but it didn’t mean anything good either. He didn’t like it. The last time he had seen Hyrule change after seven years it had not been for the good. Maybe it was just the rumbling storm, but he wasn’t sure if he wanted to go galloping up just yet. Of course, he had to figure out why it had changed so dramatically. Why would Talon expand the ranch? It looked big enough to be a small town guarded by high walls. The only way would be to go and check it out, but he wouldn’t be taking the front entrance …

Okay, maybe he was being a bit paranoid. Malon would be laughing at him later.

He urged Epona back into a gallop toward the large figure. It started out fast, but as he approached the proximity of the walls, he slowed it down into a quiet trot. Eventually, he brought her to a halt at the foot of the wall. Dismounting, he turned his hooded head upward. It was about fifty feet high. Still gazing upward, studying the wall, he reached with a steady hand into his pack that his horse carried. He pulled out his longshot and aimed with his left hand. He held down a button on its handle and a little red dot appeared on the dark wall. The tiny red speck was half way up the wall. He aimed farther up, testing if it could reach. The scarlet light could only reach as far as the chain could go. It didn’t quite make it to the top, only a little above halfway.

Link lowered the device and continued to gaze up, frowning and furrowing his eyebrows, letting light drops hit his cheeks and forehead. Maybe he was being stupid. He should just go through the front. There was no need to put so much effort into climbing the wall.

The heavens groaned once more after a flash lighted the wall only for a second. He turned around to search his pack for his hookshot. He could make it up with the help of both.

Once had, he held it in his right hand. He aimed as far as he could with the longshot in his left hand, stepping back so that the hook would catch at the right angle. His hand squeezed the trigger and the hook shot out. With a clunk it embedded itself into the dark wooden walls. Link had already been bracing himself to let the contraption yank him upward, pulling him to the wall. He gripped the handle hard as the force jerked on his wrist and shoulder as it pulled him up. Link grinded his teeth together in his mouth as his wrist throbbed. When he came to a wobbly stop, the hook locked, he swung his legs up and pressed the bottoms of his feet against the thick logs of the wall. He then pointed the hookshot with his right hand and shot, while pressing the release on the lock of the longshot. He was jerked upward again, letting his right wrist feel the pain. After lots of experience using the hookshots, the pain had become bearable and lessened as his wrists and shoulders adjusted to it over time. He came to a stop again, holding the lock and repeating the process; he was a little more than five feet away from the top. He lifted his right hand and shot. It pulled him to the edge of the wall. Once there, he pulled himself up onto the edge, crouched down on the balls of his feet.

It had gotten dark very quickly; the sun must be nearly set behind the dark clouds. For this, Link was glad, for he would only be a small dark shape on the wall if anyone noticed. Of course, what would that matter? He was thinking stealth terms without even realizing it.

Had the storm and appearance of the ranch disturbed him that much?

He gazed out over the dark town. For it was a town. The circle of wall was filled with buildings, perhaps houses, none reaching two stories, except for one. They all varied in shape and size, but they were simple buildings. The look of something created as quickly as possible without heeding the need for quality, for they had flat roofs and no proper slopes. Some did, but it looked as if they were in the middle of being constructed.

The houses created a maze of alley ways. There were only a couple of main streets carving a path through the houses. Light glowed out of many windows, making certain parts of the streets glitter in the wet settling darkness. The only second story building was one Link recognized right away. It was Malon’s house, to his right.

The Hylian clipped his hookshot to his belt and then aimed at a nearby house with the longshot. He waited for another flash and then when thunder shook the air he shot it. The thunk of the hook biting into the wood was lost in the rumble of the clouds. Rain started filling the air more thickly as Link made his landing on the edge of a roof top. He paused for a moment, keeping the longshot in hand and crouched on the roof. There he took a moment to wonder why he was being so paranoid before crawling over to leap softly onto the next house. They were built rather close to each other, enough for him to jump instead of risking the noise of his hook. Link landed softly on each one with well practiced feet. He raced along them in the shadows, making sure to shy from any light glowing from windows.

He reached a building just behind his old friend’s house. Link heard a door opening and immediately froze, hunched over in the shadows. The door that opened was a back door to Malon’s house. A young Hylian woman with scarlet red hair stepped out.

He inhaled sharply, but he managed to stifle the gasp.

Malon took some paces from the door, wrapping her arms around herself to guard from the cold. The thing that he found alarming was his old friend’s appearance. She had a ragged gray tunic on that was tied to her waist with an old brown rope. It was worn through with small holes, torn edges, and smudged with dirt and grime everywhere. It looked as if she had been wearing the same tunic for months. Her leggings weren’t any better. They were dark-gray and just as ragged and dirty as her shirt. The ends of them looked as if they had been torn away, leaving much of her ankles and calves exposed. Her long red hair was greasy and matted, coming close to dread locks. Her face and arms were nearly as dirty as her clothing.

This haggard exterior did not perturb him as much as the look in her eyes. They were tired blue eyes. He had seen similar eyes on her only once before. It had been back in the alternate time, and her father had been kicked out of the ranch and she was forced to become Ingo’s slave. But these eyes were in a far worse state. They had deep dark circles around them. They were so haunted, pained by something. And yet …

How was it that she still seemed so much stronger than that time?

She stood out there in the cold, dirty hair being wiped around her equally filthy face, arms wrapped around her in such solitude. But she did not cower against the rain or wind. The Hylian girl stood with such confidence in those painful eyes, a strength he had never seen in Malon before. In that moment he was both shocked and awed, nearly inspired by her defiant image.

By the Three, what has happened here?

Before he had a chance to think of anything else, the door opened again and sound of loud crude voices undulated out into the dark with the light from inside. A man stood in the doorway. Link pressed his lips together to stop another gasp, sapphire eyes widening and eyebrows rising. Malon turned to face him, light glittering across her face from the rain.

The man was a dark elf. A drow. Link’s stomach tightened sickeningly. Why were they here? How could they possibly be in Hyrule? Of course, he could cross to their world. What could stop them from coming here? He thought he was the only one who knew how to travel between worlds. Dread swam in his organs as he realized how mistaken he had been. One thought stood out the most in his mind as he huddled in the shadows of the ranch he had once known:

How long have they been here?

The man stood, muscular with long snow-white hair and faded black skin. He was a far older man, perhaps in his mid-fifties. Malon stared at him for a moment. Link couldn’t see the look on her face. It was silent for a time. Link watched the man, and he realized the elf was scanning his surroundings. The Hylian felt his heart skip a beat when his eyes passed over his hiding spot on the roof of what seemed to be a shed. The man’s gaze stopped there, and Link felt his stomach drop.

Dark elves could see body heat.

However, the drow’s stare eventually went back to Malon without seeming to notice anything in those shadows. Link’s insides relaxed a little. Of course, the elf probably wasn’t utilizing that vision at the moment. Otherwise, he would have been seen.

“What is it, Jaek-san?” she asked, seeming to ignore or not notice the elf’s inspection of the surrounding area. “I just wanted some fresh air. I’m sick of those bastards already.”

Link watched Jaek’s lips twitch an amused smirk that took it time to fade away.

“It’s dangerous to be out here alone. You know that.”

The Hylian woman didn’t answer for a moment, but he saw the drow’s mouth twitch again, seeing an expression that he couldn’t.

“If you knew that I know then why state the obvious?” Her voice sounded irritated, curt in tone, but then quickly softened again. “… ‘Just for a few minutes, ‘kay? I might even get a little clean if I stay out here.”

The dark elf let a gentle sigh pass through his nose, but his lips gave a small curve at her sarcasm. He reached for something on his belt. Steel glinted in the light from the open door, he held out a long and wickedly curved blade to her, the handle outward. Malon uncoiled an arm to take the knife.

Nothing more needed to be said; it seemed. For Jaek turned and walked back into the house, shutting the door behind him. It took some of the light away, but windows still provided Malon with some glow.

Realizing that now was his chance; he started to move but then paused as the thought finally occurred to him.

Most likely, Malon wouldn’t remember him. It would startle her to appear too suddenly. He always forgot that not everyone had the memories he did. Her only memories of him were when they were children. Link left Hyrule when he was eleven this time. Not only that, but she hadn’t remembered him at first in that other time either.

Though, it didn’t really change anything. He would just have to convince her that he meant no harm and try to make her remember. So quietly, he slipped off the back of the roof; dropping onto the ground with cat-like grace. Crouching again, he moved around the corner, hugging the wall of the shed.

Malon had turned around again by then, still clutching the blade in her right hand which hung limply at her side. She sighed through her nose and stared at the ground. Link stood up straight in the shadows, pulling the hood from his head and walked out from the darkness. She lifted her head immediately to see him, her eyes wide and cautious. The young woman’s stance widened, her knife arm tensed, gripping the handle.

“Please, it’s okay …” he began, raising both hands out for her to see that they were empty and harmless. She stared at him uncertainly, yet the look in her eyes didn’t soften. They were the eyes of a survivor. Hard and cold. It made him feel uneasy seeing Malon’s eyes like that. There was no trust in them for him or anyone.

He remembered Malon to be a care-free and cheerful girl, daughter of the ranch owner who smiled easily and trusted just as willingly. She had an undying love for animals, especially horses. That was the Malon he knew. And he realized as he stood there, hands up, staring at her, that this Malon was a stranger to him. So different now, he didn’t know anything about her anymore. He felt the weight on his heart grow heavier, as if to crush it.

None of this feels real.

His feelings must have shown on his face, because a startled expression fluttered across the girl’s stern face. Her eyes softened a bit and he watched as her body relaxed and her guard started decreasing slowly.

“Who are you …?” Her voice was surprisingly softer than he thought it would be, compared to her previous expression. It made him feel a little better. Link felt a soft smile shape his lips.

“A childhood friend … Romani Malon,” he said as gently as possible.

Malon’s eyes widened immediately, and all her guards dropped to zero. Slowly, her fighter’s stance loosened. She stood, still holding the knife in her hand, but limply.

She stared at him for a moment.

“… Link-kun?” she whispered, there was a slow and disbelieving tone in her voice. “… What are you doing here? How did you get in? The only way in and out is through the front gates.”

Relief washed over him. She remembered him faster than he thought she would. However, his smile faded at her questions. He lowered his hands at last.

“I climbed.”

Malon raised an eyebrow and lowered the other. “The walls are fifty feet high.”

“I know.”

His shoulders, arms, and wrists were still aching.

She kept the same expression on her face, staring at him in disbelief. Link shifted uncomfortably under her stare and his sapphire eyes wandered downward. He thought he should be used to these kinds of stares by now. He realized often lately how strange he seemed to others. Link found he actually preferred laughter to the silent stare, though neither was particularly pleasant for him.

“Malon-chan … what’s happened?” He finally looked up at her, changing the subject was best. Besides, there were more important things at hand than gawking at his whimsical ways. The Hylian girl’s eyebrows finally shifted back down, but now her gaze drifted away from his. Her blue eyes almost seemed to ache.

“It’s … kind of a long story …”

“Then we should invite him in. It’s rude to keep a guest outside in the rain.”

Link looked up and Malon twisted around to see Jaek standing in front of the closed door. Link’s hand flew to the hilt of his sword.

He hadn’t even heard the drow open the door--No, he would have heard and seen more light if he had. That meant the dark elf hadn’t used the door. The old elf smiled warmly, and Link found himself oddly reminded of Rontu; though his friend never smiled as easily as this man seemed to.

Malon quickly turned her head to Link. “It’s okay. He’s a friend. Jaek-san has been protecting me for a long time.”

He was still a little hesitant. The Drow were not a peaceful race. They led a large empire that focused on the violent conquest of smaller nations. He just came back from their home world were they had attempted to conquer the larger and more powerful land of Ranelu. They had failed.

And now they were here.

In his land. His home.

However, the Drow were not wholly evil. It was simply difficult to find one with good intentions, a good heart. Sure, Rontu had never been very peaceful by nature, but he meant no harm. So if Malon said this man was the same, then it was probably true. Link let his hand drift away from his sword slowly.

Jaek didn’t seem bothered by his caution either. The tranquil smile on his face didn’t falter as he opened the back door to the house. The loud voices of drunken males filtered through again with the orange glow from the fire place inside.

“Put your hood up, young man, and come inside.”

The drow turned and went in. Link pulled his hood up again and followed Malon through the doorway.

Once inside, he found the main open living space that had once held only one table near the fireplace where Malon, her father, and their employee, Ingo, used to have their meals. The ceiling had always been high and still was. But now, it was filled with more tables and chairs, like the inside of a pub. Sitting at these tables were a couple dozen dark elves. They wore imperial uniforms of black, and depending on ranking, blue, green, and purple. He knew this, because he had seen those uniforms before. It was definitely the Drow Empire.

They paid no attention to the three coming in through the door. Jaek continued to lead them over to the stairs on their left, and up to the landing and door. Link followed Malon and the drow through this door as well. Once inside, it was closed behind them, shutting out the noise of the soldiers.

Link pulled the hood from his head as he gazed around the up-stairs room he knew from childhood. It had hardly changed. It still had two beds in the corners farthest back, a table in the center, a night stand between the beds against the wall, and a dresser in the lower corner to his left. It was dark inside, and no one moved to light any lamps.

“Have a seat, Link-kun. You must be tired … I never thought I would see you again,” said Malon, who remained standing next to the larger drow.

Jaek had his arms folded across his chest. His face was relaxed as his eyes remained on Link. He was finally close enough to see the dark elf’s eyes. They were a gentle light brown that reminded him of the Deku Tree’s strong bark.

Link took a seat at the table in the center, but turned his chair so that he could face the two. He stared back at the drow, and then to Malon again. It was silent for a moment, in which more thunder rumbled from outside.

“What happened?” he asked again.

The ranch girl exhaled softly through her nose, baggy eyes looking down.

“Well … about a month after you left Hyrule, they came. They’re known as the Drow Empire. They invaded …” She shrugged half-heartedly, still not looking him in the face. She kept her eyes away from his. “What more can I say?”

She turned and walked over to the window, staring outside, placing her hands on the window sill. Her voice was flat with a strange numbness to it. “Simple words like that explain it and yet leave all the meaning of what it is out … They took over almost everything. Hyrule Castle Town is occupied by them and so is Kakariko. They went up into Death Mountain, but it seemed the Gorons fled before they got there. They must have seen them attacking Kakariko and ran for it. No one knows where really. Maybe over the mountains and into the neighboring kingdoms.”

Link stared down at his lap numbly as he felt his insides turn cold from the shock. He had already known. He knew when he first saw Jaek and when they passed by the soldiers in the imperial uniforms down stairs. What else would the Drow be doing here? He had to hear it though. Link needed to hear it from her to really believe it, to allow himself to accept that what he feared was true.

He finally found his voice after he listened to her.

“W-what about Zelda-sama? The Zoras? And the Gerudos?” Linked looked up at her back with his eyebrows tensed and sapphire eyes pleading even though she could not see them.

“The king is dead, and Princess Zelda is still at the castle. Their leader keeps her alive for some reason. Maybe as his personal concubine, but he’s kept her for so long it’s too strange … Especially since he’s rumored to have no soul.” Malon folded her arms over her chest as she continued to stare out the window.

“No soul?” Link furrowed his eyebrows in befuddlement this time. He had never heard of such a possibility.

“Aye,” said Jaek, nodding calmly despite the distress of the matter. “Lord Nottuu governs over the army sent here. He’s not a drow. He’s a dragon actually. A white dragon from our world. They can take the form of elves and the like. I’ve seen him myself, and even I would say it sounds convincing that he may, indeed, have no soul to speak of. Or at least, not much of one left.”

Link looks down again, not thinking much more of the soulless man. His thoughts, were, instead, of his other childhood companion. Zelda was still alive, despite the circumstances. It eased the grip of dread upon his heart to know it. It gave him hope. She was imprisoned, but that never stopped them before, and so it wouldn’t now.

Though, he didn’t know what “concubine” meant. Perhaps it was a slave of some kind.

“The Zoras remain in hiding. The empire doesn’t even know of their existence here,” Malon continued on in the same distant voice. “They didn’t attack the Gerudos … at least not yet. It seems they admire their feminine strength and invited them to join the empire.”

Link inhaled sharply, flicking his head up. “But Nabooru-san would never--”

“It appears they have not accepted the invitation,” Jaek interrupted, lifting a hand from his folded arms to ease Link. His white eyebrows lifted up at him. “But they continue to trade goods with the empire.”

Link stared at him for a moment, taking this information in before looking down again. What was Nabooru doing? Why wasn’t she helping the Hylians? What about Zelda? How could she abandon her like this? His fists tightened on his lap, staring down at it hard.

It was all so unbearable to take in. He finally came home to find Hyrule like this? It was just like before. It was almost like time was repeating itself. Last time, he woke up after seven years of sleep to a world that was no longer his. He was nothing but a stranger to it. It was the same now as it was then.

Everything had changed.

Link looked up at Malon again; eyebrows furrowed in question once more.

“Malon-chan … where is Talon-san?”

She stayed quiet for a long time at the window. Jaek’s brown eyes looked over at her, his face blank and serene as he stared at her. Link felt it creeping up on him. Another fear that he did not want to accept without her saying it first. He already knew, but his sapphire eyes were locked on her head. Waiting as the eerie feeling grew. Waiting.

Just say it.

Yet it was so cruel to force such a thing on her.

Jaek leaned in and placed a large black hand on her slender shoulder, squeezing gently.

She turned her head to look up at him after he touched her shoulder. The ranch girl smirked with eyes that held no humor and turned her head back to the window, shaking her red dreads. She spoke again with that same plain voice.

“Tou-san was killed in the raid.”

Link stared and felt his insides vaporize, even though he had already known. The reality of it hit hard and fast.

Talon.

Dead.

He couldn’t let that in. He didn’t want to. And yet …

Talon wasn’t there. He simply was not there anymore. As if he had vanished. Disappeared. Gone. There was no other explanation for it. It was the hardest thing for him to hear out of all the bad news, out of all the details of what had happened in seven years, and the invasion. It was too close to him. Too real. He could see that Talon was not there anymore.

They had killed him.

Gone--Like Tarrowco.

Link put his face in his hands and his elbows on his thighs.

How had this happened? He felt like such a fool. To think Hyrule would always be safe after he saved it once. What had it all been for? All his efforts, sacrifices, pain, and struggle had been for nothing. All he ever did was fight. That was all he ever knew in his life. And now, he just felt too tired for it. He was so young but already so exhausted by this. Was this what the Goddesses had planed for him? To fight for Hyrule, for them, forever?

“So what are you going to do?” The drow’s voice broke into his thoughts.

Link looked up at him. The old elf smiled kindly as he took a seat next to him at the table. He stared at him for a moment, at those light brown eyes. Jaek waited patiently, allowing him the time to find his answer.

While he had been wallowing in his own uncertainty, he had forgotten about that. None of that really helped him or anyone. Now that he knew what had happened, what was his next move? What should be done next? Link looked down at his lap smiling with narrowed eyes.

In the end, it would always be this way.

Link looked over at Jaek and said, “I’m going to the castle, to take back Zelda-sama.”

The dark elf’s weathered face broadened with a proud smile, eyes narrowed in gentle affection. There were many wrinkles on his strong face, from many years of smiles and tears. His white hair was thinning on his head.

Link stared for a moment at this man. Who was he? He was different, like Rontu. Just from these first impressions, there was an aura of warmth and kindness pulsing off him. He never though he’d ever see a drow that felt so honest in every action he did. Jaek was so tranquil, even through the chaos they talked about. Even when he sat down, he did it with such grace and patience. He took his time with sitting, standing, walking. Like there was no rush to do these things. As if there was joy and peace to be found in every action.

He liked this man so much already. Even his calm presence was all he needed to relax and think rationally about what needed to be done. It kept his thoughts away from the past and things he could not change. Instead, he was focused on the things he could do.

“You’ve been … protecting Malon-chan all this time?” Link asked him.

Jaek’s shoulders twitched up with a quick half smile at this mouth. “I came with the soldiers. Found her here. I took as many slaves as was reasonable.”

“Slaves?” Link’s voice jumped.

Jaek nodded patiently, his half smile gone, but no more despondent than before. He folded his hands together in his lap. Malon walked over to the table, finally turning away from the window and the rain outside. She faced Link, who looked up at her when she approached them. She lifted her arm and turned her right wrist up for him to see. There was a smooth pink scar in the distinct shape of an hourglass. Link recognized the symbol. It was the sigil of the Drow Empire.

“This place is now nothing more than another base and a slave trading center. They move a lot supplies through here anyway,” said Malon, her voice soft and calm. Link hated the way she sounded, her dead and empty voice. It was starting to haunt him. He stared at the brand until she let her arm drop to her side. He didn’t dare look up at her face to see her eyes. They were like open wounds.

“Jaek-san came, turned my house into a pub, and took as many slaves as he could without looking suspicious or odd … But he treats us like real people, protects us from the rest of the soldiers, gives us plenty of food and care … but in front of the rest we must put on the roles of slave and master.” She gestured at herself and the condition of her hygiene.

Link stayed quiet after this, still not looking directly at her. After a silent moment Jaek spoke up again.

“If you’re leaving for the castle, then I have a favor to ask.”

Link looked up at the old drow again and nodded. He would do anything this man asked of him. Jaek’s gaze met steadily with his, his placid and honest presence the same as always.

“Take Malon with you.”

Before he could respond Malon whipped her head to face Jaek in surprise, inhaling sharply through her mouth.

“But Jaek-san! I can’t leave you and the rest--”

“But you can,” said the dark elf, smiling at her, seated so calmly in his chair. He was like a rock in a storm, ever still even as wind and rain howled and whipped around him. “I can’t get the others out with you ... yet, but you can and I’m certain you’ll be able to help your old friend.” He stood up and took her pale hands in his dark ones. “I trust that you’ll come back for us, no?”

Malon’s eyes watered, turning pink at the threat of tears as she stared up at him. She opened her mouth but couldn’t get words out, so she nodded instead and flung herself into his arms. The drow only smiled at this and held her back. Link watched for only a second and then turned his gaze down to give them privacy.

They must have finally parted because then Jaek spoke again to Link.

“I can help you past the gates and with most any supplies you may need. I hear there is a group of rebels hiding out in the forest. Perhaps once you have accomplished your task you can find refuge there.”

Link nodded and stood up facing Jaek and Malon. He had to push back all the feelings of guilt, shame, and despair. They would only get in the way of what he knew he had to do. Right now all he should think about is going to the castle and finding Zelda. A rebel group in the forest? Now that he thought about it, the forest would be a perfect hide out, especially with the aid of the Kokiri. Most likely the empire hadn’t been able to get through without losing several men to mystical woods.

His eyes drifted from the dark room over to the window where rain drizzled down heavily outside. He wished he had been wrong. That his instincts had been off, but it seemed that all the omens had pointed to only one thing.
This story archived at http://www.kasuto.net/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=765