The Garo's Curse by asil ocram
Summary: When Hyrule begins to die, and the sages lose their powers, everyone looks to Link for help. What Link didnt anticpate is that the present problem in Hyrule originated in Termina's past, and if not corrected, will jeopardize several hyrulean races, as well as bring about the return of Ganondorf...
Categories: Fan Fiction Characters: Link (OoT & MM)
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 31530 Read: 176262 Published: Mar 14, 2004 Updated: Mar 14, 2004

1. The Beginning of the End by asil ocram

2. The Realization by asil ocram

3. The Countdown Continues by asil ocram

4. Separation and Forgiveness by asil ocram

5. The Pact, The Wager, and The Lead. by asil ocram

The Beginning of the End by asil ocram
The Legend of Zelda: The Garo's Curse


-A minor note from the author:
All characters and places in this story are owned by Nintendo, and I claim no rights to them. All characters and places and situations in this story are also entirely made up, and any similarities to any people and/or place (or other fan fiction, for that matter,) is purely coincidental.





Part 1: The Beginning of the End

Ikana Canyon: 2,000 years in the past

He sat there, completely numb: the effects of a prayerful, frustrated trance. He breathed deep, sharp breaths and focused on his situation. On how his people were slaughtered daily, for sport. On his lover’s father cursing his people, and promising to wipe them out. On his own uncertainty about leading his people. Unable to bear his somber thoughts any longer, he threw himself on the ground, and began shouting in his native tongue: “Ner‘tah Yrei! Reque iure saura imas tera, weiiah carah!” (Merciful Gods! If you hear my plea, send a sympathizer!) Not 30 seconds later, a ball of smoke formed in front of the young man, and the young man fell on his face in gratitude. “Eme terra ip!” (My prayer was heard!)
A figure materialized after the smoke cleared. He had shockingly red hair, a ghastly olive complexion. It was obvious that this person was not only a messenger of a sort, but he had the potential for great power as well. This messenger chuckled benignly, and comforted the young man in his own language. “Come off your face, young one.” The adolescent, somewhat shocked at the stranger’s request, did as he was told. The flame haired one continued.
“I know your tribe has fallen into misfortune. I will…correct this misfortune. Write this down:”
The messenger began speaking, the boy wrote the olive man’s every word. Then, the olive one handed the boy a strange, gold, triangular relic.
“What good does this?” The boy asked in his strange tongue.
“There are two more just like it,” replied the man of flaming hair, giving the relic to the young man.
“Use this one to give truth to my words, and find the other two. When all three are together, Your tribe will rule all nations.”
The boy nodded eagerly. Such a great promise in such dire times left no room in the boy‘s mind for questions. Save one.
“But, what of you, o great messenger?” He asked, bending on one knee, in respect. “May you come to guide us?”
“After you have all three, I will return as your leader.”
“Bless you, great leader!”
“Be off! Tell your people! Spread the news!”
The young man stopped suddenly. “But where shall we find the other-”
“The one you hold shall show the way,” The messenger said, reading the young man’s mind.
“And tell me, great one, by which name we shall utter you as?”
The messenger grinned and said “I am Rukinu. Your Deliverer, your Messenger, and my time is at hand! The words I have given you,” he said, pointing to the scroll which the young man had recorded on, “along with the triangles of gold will assure my reign. Keep my words, my relic. Teach my decrees to your descendants. Rejoice! My time is at hand!”
The adolescent muttered great thanks to the messenger, and ran off to his campground not 200 yards away.
The “messenger” let out a deep belly laugh. One of pure evil. Ganondorf had done it again. Another place, another time perhaps, but some group of people would now consider him their leader, and with their help, he would rule the world which owed him so much. “The young are so foolish!” The King of the Gerudo said, his voice the deep baritone of a seasoned sorcerer. “The world may now tremble…the return of Ganon is indeed at hand!”
As Ganon glanced at his words, he laughed all the harder, the volume crescendo-ing as he read:

The Garo’s Curse 7 cycles after
The fall of certain doom A greater foe will be unleashed
Swiftly, and all too soon.

The Fortress of the Sacred Gold Will crumble and decay.
The Sister-World will wither and die
A little more everyday.

The Sundered-Kin will hear
the call of War once again,
Blood will spill o’er the hills:
The blood of all who lives.

The Noble Ones will soon forget their own destiny,
As war begins to plague their souls, powerless, they will be

The Hero will lose his drive to fight,
The Sister-World will lose her only guiding light.

The Leader, whom they hold so dear,
Will walk among men, no different from the rest.
Stripped of power, and knowledge.

7 days after the Beginning, the ground will pour forth
Its dead, wandering souls, to roam the land once again.

When we are broken of the seal
Alas! On that awaited day

We will shake off death’s lowly chains,
Conquer the prison of the grave,
Claim the Gold that calls our name,

The Garo will rule all, and the way of things will be
…as they were before.

Ganondorf paused to note one other thing. His pseudonym, Rukinu, was quite fitting. It meant “ruler” in Gerudo.

The Present: Hyrule. Several months after “Ocarina of Time.”
Link, 18-year-old Hylian knight, Savior of the World, (at least, in his own mind,) had never been more happy to be home. He kept repeating the idea in his head several times over: "Home. I'm home. and for once, the world doesn't need me..."
It was true, Link had not had any adventures in 6 months, and that, for him, was a new world record. He had taken advantage of the extended vacation, and was enjoying the life of a simple Hylian. The only hassle was traveling into the castle marketplace, and having dozens of his "fans" badger him for autographs. On the whole, however, life was good.
The sun was high in the sky, as the morning shaded into early afternoon. Lake Hylia was placid and tranquil, the only intruders being Link, his fishing pole, and Epona, who was nibbling on some grasses some yards from the surf. The fishing pond nearby had gone out of business, and the former owner was kind to sell Link a fishing pole for 50 rupees.
Link had been waiting impatiently for three hours for something, anything, to bite at his line. He spoke aloud "I came here to this stupid place to fish, and I haven't gotten one bite in three hours! Damn Fish! Bite already!"
The glassy waters gave no reply to his demands.
Dismayed, Link began to reflect on his life, very much like the way the lake was reflecting his features.
Straight across from his fishing spot was the island in which the Water Temple lay hidden from normal sight. He recalled his conquest of the dismal place, as well as the battle with Morpha. The memory gave him a massive headache. If he hadn’t been such a show off, Morpha wouldn’t have tossed him around like that. Oh well.
Epona softly neighed from where she was enjoying her lunch, and Link's memory drifted back to when Malon had first taught him that song....how he had almost lost Epona in Termina...and how much he valued that mare.
And then, he thought of her....
Zelda, The leader of the Sages, the most beautiful woman he had ever known. He thought of her golden hair cascading down her shoulders, the tender touch of her hand on his...how happy they could be, how happy he’d be if she was sitting there next to him…
Link violently shook her image away. "No...she has responsibilities. She's a Sage, she's gonna be a queen soon, and Zelda, well, she doesn't need any distractions from anyone or anything, especially not me." It had hurt him terribly to say, but it was the truth, and he was convinced that he learn it, before this little "crush" he had got out of hand....
Link was suddenly jerked out of Memory Lane by his fishing pole, which had almost leapt into the air. Link allowed himself an impish grin. "Well! Its about time! Here, fishy, fishy, fishy...."
The warrior yanked the line back as far as it would go, but to no avail. Whatever had bitten was not letting go anytime soon. "Stupid fish, doesn't it know when enough is enough??" Sweat beaded on his forehead, and his sensitive ears and cheeks had become a rosy pink from the effort.
A knot formed in our hero's stomach, as he heard the unmistakable sound of his line unraveling. He turned in alarm. "Son of a Sheikah!!" He glanced from the rapidly unraveling spool out to the lake. "This thing's gotta be bigger than Jabu-Jabu!!"
He began to pull harder than he thought possible. His breath became ragged, and sweat was pouring down his body in rivers, soaking his green Kokiri tunic and tan Hylian leggings. He didn't even pause to wipe his brow. Whatever this thing is, I'm not letting it go!!!!
Suddenly, his line came to a dead stop, and air bubbles started rising from below. Bigger than normal air bubbles, mind you. Link dropped his line, a mixture of horror and surprise twisting his face. "What in the name of Din is that??"
Enormous bubbles slowly flowed away from his line, moving closer and closer to the shore. As the bubbles moved closer, Link could swear he was hearing laughter coming from the water...
This monstrous creature rose out of the water. First came a azure, scaly head, then deep black eyes, and finally a humanoid torso. The thing, a combination of a Hylian and a fish, was laughing its head off hysterically.
The hero's face went red, and his eyes narrowed. He had been scammed. He pointed a finger at the "monster"-
"Ruto....I swear to the Goddesses, I could kill you....
I thought you were a fish...and then here you are, fucking around with my line, and my head!"
Ruto stopped her laughter only to reply: " Well, I am part fish, aren't I? And as for messing with your head: that's what I do best!!" She held a fin-like hand to her mouth, but the action only served to further her fit of giggles. “Besides,” she said in between giggles, “I know you don’t talk to Saria with that mouth!”
“Saria doesn’t make my life miserable about a stupid engagement that never happened,” Link mumbled.
Ruto was a Zora, a fishlike race with Hylian qualities. She wasn't just any Zora, though. She was a Princess, and the Sage of the Water Temple.
Link held his current stare. Ruto sighed and shrugged. "Look, I'm sorry! I was bored, I saw your line, and I couldn't help but give an eensy-weensy little tug..."
"Eensy-weensy??? You almost ripped off my hand!!"
"Yeah, well, you weren't going to catch anything anyway. Not with that kind of bait, and besides, the fish are too far down to notice."
Link eased a little. "Well, I wish you could've told me that sooner. Woulda saved me the trouble, and from looking stupid.”
"Geez, you don't need to be such a sourpuss about it!" Ruto folded her arms, and gave him a pouty face.
"Ruto, why don't you go swim upstream or something? I was having a perfectly good time until you butt in," Link said in a hurt tone.
"Doing what? Sitting on your butt waiting for the bite that would never be? Come on!"
There was a pause. Link knew Ruto was right, but wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction of knowing it.
"Come on, Link, you know me. I wouldn't bother you unless it were really important..."
Ruto walked so that she became adjacent to Link.
"Ruto, what could be sooo important that it can't wait?" Link said rolling his eyes.
Ruto gave him a look. One that made him go Uh-oh.
"If it's about that engagement, you can just go straight back into that lake and-"
"NOOOO!! That's not even up for discussion. You know that as well as I do that that is not an issue, and was laid to rest already."
He breathed a huge sigh of relief. But, the feeling didn't last. "Is it Zelda??? Is anything wrong with her??"
The fish-woman held up a hand. "Whoa! Slow down lover-boy, your woman is perfectly fine. In fact, you should pay her a visit when you get the chance."
Link blushed. "Oh, good Goddesses, is it that obvious?"
Ruto gritted her teeth. "Ummm...I'd be surprised to find a living soul that didn't know.."
Link shook his head. "All right then. To business. What's the crisis?"
Ruto drew a ragged breath. "It's Impa."
"What about her? She was fine last week when she came over to eat.."
"Link..." Her voice trailed off...and she held his arm gently. "We think she's dying.”
Link's eyes bugged out of his head. "Whaddya mean she's dying?!" He looked Ruto over, trying to detect any signs of her real disposition. He chuckled. "Come on, get real! Impa's as healthy as anybody!" He patted her shoulder. "Nice try, you almost got me for a minute, but I can always tell when you're lying."
He laughed and shook his head. Ruto just stood there. "Link!"
The fish-woman stomped her feet, and threw a temper tantrum, much like the ones Mido threw when no one listened to him. "I'm not kidding! She's mortally wounded, and we don't know why! She wants to talk to you, and to be honest, I don't know if she'll survive the next 2 days...Please, you gotta believe me!"
The young knight stopped laughing abruptly, and nodded his head. "Okay, I'll go to her...Oh by the way, thanks for ruining my vacation." Ruto smiled. "You're perfectly welcome."
Before Link could blink, the two were transported to the Chamber of Sages, where all of the Sages were running around and panicking. Something didn't sit well with Link. "Hey, Impa lives in Kakariko Village. What are we doing here?" "Geez, don't you know anything?" Ruto taunted. The warrior scowled. "Anyway, in the past two days, Kakariko has been totally destroyed, and its not safe there for anyone."
Link gasped. "WHEN DID YOU PLAN ON TELLING ME THIS?" "Ummm...well...I...." Ruto didn't have an answer. "I just got so carried away.." "With flirting with me!" Link finished. "If you knew this was going on, why didn't you or anyone else try and stop it?"
Ruto laughed nervously. "I told everyone you were working on it, I mean, they were all spazzing out anyway, and I just wanted to calm them down..."
The Hylian threw up his arms in frustration. "I DON"T BELIEVE THIS! I take a vacation and the whole fucking world falls apart, not to mention nobody tells me!"
Link's tone became sarcastic.
"And now wait, lemme guess. Everyone wants ME to get them out of this little mess!"
The Zora slowly shook her head in agreement. Link almost lost it. "Go figure! Man, screw this! They can wait for some other superhero to save them this time..." A deep voice boomed from behind him. "I hope that's not your real attitude about this, young man."
Link whirled around to meet Rauru, the Sage of Light. "Uummm...no...uh, its good to see you again sir.." His cheeks went red with embarrassment. Rauru smiled gently. "Please, Impa is this way. It is most important she speaks to you." Link and Rauru started down a blue, glowing hall. As Link looked back, the fish-woman waved goodbye, and he was glad to be rid of her.
***

Impa, the Sheikah warrior, Zelda's once strong and hardy nurse, was lying on what looked like a makeshift bed. Saria, Sage of the Forest and Darunia, Sage of Fire
stood at Impa's side tending to her. "Hello Link. " Saria said solemly. Darunia nodded hello. But, Link wasn't paying attention- his eyes were drawn to Impa. As Link beheld his
friend, he tried unsuccessfully to hold back a gasp. His eyes widened in shock, as he surveyed the damage done by the unknown predator.
Impa, Sheikah Warrior, was reduced to a helpless body little more than a redead's corpse. Her once tanned and radiant skin had become pale and lifeless from lack of sleep and other bodily injuries. It looked as if it threatened to fall of her bones at any minute. The slashes across her face were crusted from bleeding profusely, and some left her facial features so obscured, that Link had to check and make sure it really was the Sage of Shadows. To Link, the injuries looked as if some monster had struck at Impa relentlessly, but with what little knowledge Ruto and Rauru had given him, it just didn't fit...
"Link..." Impa croaked. Her voice was no more than a whisper. "...you made it."
He rushed to her side, and knelt down, so he could hear her waning voice. "Impa? Are you alright now? What happened? Who did this to you? What happened to Kakariko? GOOD GODDESSES, WHAT IS GOING ON???"
"She's been wounded critically..." Rauru started.
"Yeah, thanks, tell me something I didn't know.." Link retorted.
Suddenly, Impa coughed vigorously, and raised her head slightly, as if to speak. Link and Rauru immediately snapped their attention to her.
" I was attacked....by the Gerudo."
Link raised his eyebrows in confusion, and checked Rauru's face for confirmation. The old man hung his head, and nodded once.
Link got a weird look in his eyes, then chuckled. "I don't believe it." He said almost nonchalantly. Rauru eyed him like he had suddenly sprouted wings.
"Well think about it,” Link said to the sages. “It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and besides, Kakariko Village is a little out of the way for them, don't you think?"
Impa's eyes began tearing.
"Link...you must believe me..." she pleaded.
"How do you expect me to believe you? The Gerudo are allies! And, anyway, Why should I believe you?? So I can go and save your sorry asses again? I‘M SUPPOSED TO BE ON VACATION, DAMN IT!"
At this point, all of the sages around stopped to listen, dumbfounded.
"Look, every time there's a problem, everyone always calls me. No offense, but I thought you people were the ones with the 'magical powers'." He gestured at the words "magical powers," as if he had meant to mock them.
"Well, what if I don't want to do the saving this time? What if I just want to be a normal person??? You people always seem to overlook that little detail: I have a life too!"
Darunia spoke, and his powerful voice echoed off the walls of the sacred realm: "Brother!! Our friend and fellow sage is hurt. Surely, you must understand our, her peril!"
"Link...Impa needs you.." Saria begged.
"Well, that's just dandy! If she's hurt so bad, why doesn't she just cry to Zelda for help?!" Link's eyes welled with tears, and he was trying his hardest to keep them from spilling over. "I was right before, I shoulda just let yourselves solve your own problems.." He wiped a tear from his eye...he was too slow to reach the three others that had also fallen.
"I have to go...I need to think...I just don't want to do this anymore..." With that, he threw down his sword, and stepped into a portal leading back to Hyrule.
All the sages could do was pray that Link would get over it.

***
Link had never cried nor ran so hard in his life. The portal led him to Hyrule Field, by the border of Gerudo Valley. He ran as fast as his body could possibly handle until he reached the entrance to the Kokiri forest, a good 5 mile run. He was way too out of breath to try and make it home, so he released his grief on the very bridge where Saria said her goodbyes to him over 7 years ago.
Link tucked his head in between his knees, and let the full force of his grief out. Sure, he had seen war and destruction before, but he had never seen it happen to one of his closest friends. Even with his most recent fight with Ganon, Zelda was unscathed...Zelda..where was she when he needed her? He was always around when she needed him..for once in her life, she could try and comfort him...
Link rose his head to observe his surroundings. He was totally and completely alone. His eyes were puffy and red from crying so hard, and his whole body was shaking. "I don't want to be a hero anymore!" He screamed.
"Join the club," said a sarcastic voice.
Link immediately wiped his tears, and stood up, eyeing the Gerudo, Nabooru, next to him. Nabooru was the Sage of Spirit, but what, Link thought, was she doing in Kokiri Forest?
In the presence of his guest, Link started reprimanding himself. Geez, what a baby! You were cryin’ like a girl! Quick! Make sure she doesn’t know that!
"Hey Nab," Link said, trying to adopt a facade of indifference. "This isn't exactly your neck of the woods is it?"
"Spare me, fairy boy. I came, because everyone could hear you screaming from the village. "
"Screaming? Whaddya mean? I wasn't screaming. Screaming is for little girls!" Link said, chuckling in mid-sentence. “I mean, whaddya take me for? A wimp? I wasn’t screaming. Not me!”
“Well, if you weren’t screaming, you were certainly blubbering like a baby.”
Link crossed his arms. “How dya figure?”
“Hmmm…might have something to do with the puffiness around your eyes,” Nabooru said sarcastically.
“Oh come on!” Link said nervously. “Its allergy season! You know I’m allergic to pollen this time of year!”
Nabooru raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, right. And I'm Ganondorf's personal concubine."
Link shrugged. “Okay, okay. Fine, you caught me, I was being a big baby.” He rolled his eyes.
“I’ll save that for future blackmail,” Nabooru said, keep a straight face.
“You know,” Link said, returning to his interrogation. "You still haven't told me what you're doing here."
"I'm hiding out."
"How come? Do you know what’s going on? The Sages are extremely upset. Impa's...well..."
She cut him off. "I know perfectly well what's happened to her!"
"Then, how come you weren't in the Sacred Realm trying to ease her injuries?"
Nabooru sighed deeply, and sat down, shaking the bridge. Link sat next to her. This oughta be interesting.
"Everyone thinks I'm responsible for the skirmish at Kakariko. I mean, I am the leader of the Gerudo...and they all just completely pounced, unprovoked. I never gave an order to strike anywhere. But, because they are my people, they are my responsibility. And now, I have the blood of innocents on my hands...as if I hadn't done enough wrong already.."
She turned to him, choking on tears. "Link, you are one of the few people I know who's been through stuff like this. If anyone can figure out what's going on, its you-"
Link continued with his attitude. "-Look, Nab, I appreciate you trusting me, but I'm done with this 'hero' stuff. Its too much. Have you ever see any of your friends near death because of you? You don‘t understand what kind of pain in the ass this job is."
The Sage crossed her arms, trying to control the fury that was arising within her. After a few minutes, her eyes flashed with an idea. She picked Link up by the throat, with almost no effort, and raised him over the side of the bridge.
“Hey! What’re think you’re-”
"Let me tell you something, kid” she interrupted. “You think you’ve seen everything? You think your job is a pain? I've seen people's insides split open right in front of me. I‘ve seen the rape of several of my best friends, when I was powerless to stop it. And guess what? Today, I was responsible for the death of 200 people! People whom I had no quarrel with!" Nabooru, continuing with her agonies, subconsciously tightened her grip on Link’s throat. Link made wild gestures to her grip, but the enraged Gerudo continued.
“Is that enough? Or shall I continue? Believe me, my sins make yours look like deku sprouts, kid. You don‘t know what death is. You haven‘t even an inkling of destruction. You have never seen evil and power corrupt like I have. You haven‘t been doing your job long enough to know.”
“Umm, Nabooru? AIR!!!” Link squeaked.
Nabooru grit her teeth, and released him back onto the bridge. Upon rubbing his bottom from being dropped too hard, Link stood up and admitted his shortcomings.
"Okay! Fine! I don’t know jack like you do. I admit it! But still, You guys need a new hero. I've been doing this for too long now."
The Gerudo hit her head in disgust. “You don’t get it.” She said.
“What am I supposed to get? I already admitted I wasn‘t experienced, what else do you want?”
Nabooru turned and walked towards the Kokiri village
"Hey! Where are you going?! What am I supposed to get?!" Link asked, bewildered.
Nabooru looked back. "To tell your people that their hope has been completely snuffed, and they will starve."
Link‘s eyes bugged out of his head. "Starve?! Wait, did you say starve?! I'm coming! Hold on! Wait for me!"
***
As Link stumbled into Kokiri forest, he blinked twice to make sure he wasn't dreaming. The forest was dying. The once lush and verdant plant life was withering, and the landscape was succumbing into Death itself. The forest, which was once alive with the songs of animals and the bustling of Kokiri, lay deathly quiet. It was as if Life itself was being sucked out of Link's home.
"Din's Wrath!" Link spat.
Nabooru walked over to him from the center of the village. "Yeah, its been going down the tubes for the past two days now," She said.
"Why doesn't anyone ever tell me these things??" Link yelled. "Why am I always the last to know?!"
"To be honest, Even Saria wasn't aware of this until lately. The Sages have been arguing amongst themselves, and with Impa's injuries, it hasn't made anything better."
"Great. Is there anything else I should know as I watch my homeland waste away into nothing?" Link asked.
The Gerudo Sage sighed.
"Look Link, I didn't make it this way. We've been at peace for awhile, but now more than ever, your people need you! We need you."
"I'm surprised no one has bugged Zelda about this yet," Link added. "Come to think of it, I never saw her in the Sacred Realm...
Nabooru put an arm on his shoulder.
"That's because no one's been able to find her."

***


Link arched his eyebrows. “Okay, let me make sure I’m hearing this right. Our whole world has been turned upside down…AND THE ONE PERSON WHO CAN PROBABLY FIX IT IS GONE?!” He plopped down on what was left of a tree stump. “Great…somebody please just wake me up before it gets worse..”
He turned to the Gerudo. “Nab, do we have any clue where all this crap is coming from?”
“We? Kid, this is your problem. I can only do so much. I’ve offered my support to your people, and now I must stop mine from going completely berserk. I need to stay here, in Hyrule. If your adventure takes you elsewhere, then you must go. But, I’m in no condition to tag along.”
“What adventure? I told you I was finished with it. No more hero stuff for me. I’m done! Now, its someone else’s problem!”
“You mean, like Zelda’s?” Nabooru said. Her words cut him like a knife.
“Uhhh…look, I didn’t mean it like that….” Link said sheepishly.
“I never said you did. Well, you are a big boy. Do as you wish. Just know that there is no one else who can do the job.” Nabooru pointed out. She snapped her fingers, and was gone in a puff of smoke.
Link gave a cry of frustration, a scream that erupted from his soul: LOOK SAGES! NABOORU’S LITTLE PEP TALK IS NOT GOING TO MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND! I GIVE UP!! DO YOU HEAR ME, SAGES? I GIVE UP! I’M FINISHED! CHOOSE SOME OTHER HERO! THIS IS NOT MY PROBLEM ANYMORE!”
With that, Link took his beloved Master Sword and thrust it into the ground. “I’m going home!” He announced.
***
Night had fallen. Link nearly forgot what it was like to have a hot meal inside a warm house. All of his adventures had forced him to adjust to the sleeping-under-the-stars approach to life. “Yeah, sleeping under the stars, and freezing my ass off while I’m at it!” he thought sarcastically.
He stirred some steaming soup which was boiling on what looked like a stove made entirely of wood. As Link savored the soup running down his throat, he heard a woman scream with exhaustion outside his house. “What in the Worlds?” He started.
He dashed out of his house, jumped the whole 10 feet down to the ground, and found a woman in Hylian traveler’s clothes collapsed on what might be considered his “front yard.”
He quickly checked her vital signs: Still had a pulse, breathing slightly shallow, nothing a bit of rest couldn’t cure. He carefully carried the woman to his house, and set her gently on his bed. He carefully surveyed her clothes. They had been worn with travel, and the blood on her garments showed she had been attacked several times, and was blessed to have survived. He carefully lifted her hood, and gasped at her image. He was indeed gazing on the sleeping Princess Zelda, the love of his life. His heart skipped a beat, and he stared at her beauty. Funny, it seemed somewhat…changed to him. Oh yeah, now he saw it: her face had been badly cut, but by what?
Suddenly, Zelda awoke with a scream, and the two screamed at each other in shock. “Zelda? Are you okay?” Link started.
“Yes, but, you scared the crap outta me,” Zelda admitted. She went to move her elbow, but found she could not do so. “Uhnnn..” she grunted in pain.
“Are you hurt? Princess, you’d better make me look at that.” Link said, concerned.
He surveyed her arm. It had indeed been badly bruised. Perhaps, even broken. “That looks kinda bad. Maybe you’d better let me see it,” Link offered. Zelda obliged.
“Does this hurt?” He asked, gently prodding the spot. Zelda answered with a yelp of pain. “Ok, what about this?” She yelled even louder. Her eyes began to tear with pain.
Link studied the injury for awhile, and shook his head. “Well, I’m not a doctor, but, I think it’s broken. The best thing we can do is probably bandage it for awhile.”
There was an eerie silence. “So, what are you doing here anyway?” Link said nonchalantly.
Zelda sat up and rubbed her head. “Actually, things have been a little crazy. I came to look for you. I got worried when I asked the sages where you where, and they couldn’t answer. So, I borrowed one of Malon’s horses and rode over here. Unfortunately, The horse crapped out on me…”
“Wait…there’s something you’re not telling me.” Link cut in. “Princess, I’ve known you a long time, and I know you’re leaving something out.”
There was a silence and a guilty look from Zelda.
“So what is it? If you just tell me, you’ll save us a lotta grief.”
Zelda bit her lip. “Well, what do you want to know?”
“First of all, how come no one was able to find you when this whole mess started?” Link inquired.
“I was in Hyrule Market yesterday, and it fell under attack by the Gorons. I stayed to protect my people..”
“WHOA! The Gorons?? They haven’t waged war in years…not since the Imprisoning War. If anything, they’re our greatest ally! At least, that’s what I thought…”
“Link, that’s what I thought too, but the market was under attack, and I felt I should protect the people.”
Zelda began to cry as awful images of destruction conjured in her head.
“After the skirmish, The street was littered with bodies…The air stank of blood, and decaying flesh…There weren’t many survivors…myself and perhaps a few others.”
She wiped her tears, trying hard to be brave.
“ I was spared, and I don’t know why. Oh, Link! I should’ve died with them!”
The princess collapsed in Link’s arms. He ran his fingers through her hair as she poured out her heart.
After a good ten minutes, Link proceeded. “Look, I’m sorry I made you cry…”
“No, Link. You had to know. I’m glad you asked.” She looked at him square in the face. “You’re not interrogating me yet, are you?” she said in a playful mood. “Go on, ask what you wish.”
“Well, Its probably a dumb question, but why did you ride to my place by horse? Wouldn’t it have been easier to do that neat teleportation trick you Sages do?”
Zelda drew a deep breath, as if what she had to say would shock him. Now, she had wished he had just shut up. “Link…Please don’t tell anyone this, but something terrible is happening to me. I don’t know if its just me, or if the other sages..”
“Zelda! For the Love of Nayru, spit it out!”
“I’m losing my powers.”
***
Link shook his head slowly. He had understood what she had said, but had not quite comprehended it. He slowly mouthed his response: “You lost your powers?”
“Losing them. Present tense.” Zelda reminded him.
“Oh, that’s just great..” Link said softly. “Well, what can you still do?”
“I can still communicate telepathically, but other than that, I don’t know.”
“Okay, well, how long do you think you have until you become powerless?”
“I have no idea! I’m not a rocket scientist!” she lashed out.
“Look, Princess, I’m just trying to help you here!” Another eerie silence.
“I’m sorry…I guess I’ve been under a lot of stress..”
“We all have,” he replied. He squeezed her hand. “Just tell me what the problem is, and maybe I can fix it. When did this all start, anyway?”
“ I just started losing my powers today. As for how long I’ll be able to keep them, I don’t know. Could be hours, days at the most. Its happening kinda fast.”
“Man, a lot of freaky stuff has been going on lately…”
“ I know. If anyone can figure this out Link, its you.”
‘Oh, don’t you worry…we’ll get to the bottom of this…”
Just then, Link noticed the cruel irony. Not 2 hours ago, didn’t he swear that he was through with being a hero? Didn’t he tell the sages to find another? Damn it! I’ve been suckered into my job again. Damn it, Zelda, you’re turning me into a softy! He thought.
Poor Link. He would once again to fight to vanquish the evil threat, save the world, win the affections of the crowd, and his beloved. Oh well. Old habits die hard.
***
Morning broke, and Link awoke to find Zelda had fallen asleep in his arms. “Good Goddesses, she’s so beautiful when she’s sleeping. He ran a hand through her long, blond hair. Even though she was dressed in peasant’s clothes, something about her seemed to denote her heritage. Perhaps it was her beauty, or maybe the radiance of her eyes. Or maybe…
Link quickly removed his hand as Zelda stirred. It was after she got off his leg, had he realized it had fallen asleep. “Oh, shit! Zelda, MOVE! My leg!”
He tried desperately to reduce the pins-and-needles effect, but to no avail.
“Maybe I can help you.,” The princess offered. “Don’t. I’ll live. Besides, don’t waste your powers on stupid shit!”
“He’s so stubborn sometimes.” She thought to herself. She closed her eyes, and concentrated hard. She placed her hands on Link’s bad leg, and it began to glow that famous shade of pink that let you know when Zelda was using her magic. After a brief minute, she removed her hands. “Zelda! You coulda used that magic for something more important! For all you know, your magic may not have done anything!” Link protested.
“Yeah, well, how does it feel, Mr. Smarty?” Zelda asked. Link wiggled his once bad leg around. “Very nice…good, thank you.” He said through gritted teeth. Zelda just smirked.
Link brushed himself off. “Well, uh, care for some breakfast, Princess?”
Zelda scowled. “Stop calling me ‘Princess.’ Its getting on my nerves, and no, we’d better find out what’s going on. Hyrule is dying. People are dying, and we have a job to do.”
Link frowned. “Can’t it wait? I’m hungry!”
“You’re starting to act like Mido.”
That shut him up.
“So, if we’re gonna figure out why all this is happening, maybe we should step outside.” Link suggested.
“Of course.” Zelda chimed in. “We’ll have to figure this out the old-fashioned way: where the largest concentration of destruction is, the closer the source.”
The two headed outside to explore the forest. “Ummm…is it just me, or does it look worse than yesterday?” Zelda inquired.
Link joined Zelda’s gaze towards the trees and shrubbery, almost all of it had disintegrated. “No, you’re not seeing things. Its worse.” Link answered. He paused, his thoughts drifting to the past. “We’ve had droughts before, but this doesn’t compare. It’s like someone took a match to the entire forest.”
“Link! Up there!” Zelda pointed out. She was gesturing towards the entrance to the Lost Woods. “It looks like its all coming from there!” “How do you figure?” Link asked. “Its doesn’t look any different than the rest of this dying place.” “I dunno, I just have…almost like a feeling…I feel…a malevolent draft of-”
“Okay! I get the point, let’s go!” Link yanked her off the ground, and lead her to the entrance. “Gods, when you get in one of your moods, its scares me!” Zelda smiled. “Get used to it. I have a …feeling…you may need to deal with it for awhile!”
Link rolled his eyes. Oh brother…
***
No sooner than Link’s boot touched the inside of the Lost Woods, did he hear a screech of alarm. The two travelers shuddered suddenly, and Zelda practically fell into Link’s arms. “What..was..that?” she asked, breathing hard. “Darned if I know,” Link replied. His face brightened. “But, I bet who would know!”
Link led Zelda into one of the many clearings in the Lost Woods. The one which contained the Skull Kid‘s stump. It was, surprisingly, vacant.
“Skull Kid! Hey, Skull Kid! What’s going on?” Link shouted into the woods.
“Yee-aaaah!” A shriek responded. It did, indeed, belong to the Skull Kid. “Just as I thought!” Link muttered.
The Skull Kid ran into the clearing, screaming like a banshee, to where Link was standing. The Skull Kid, a loner who lived in the lost woods, looked like a cross between a scarecrow and a stalchild. No one had ever seen his real face.
He stopped a moment to catch his breath, and then peered at Link. “Oh! Link!” He said in a tinny, child-like voice. He continued: “It is good friend-Link is here! Bad things happening! Verrrry bad things!” He stopped, and pointed at Zelda: “Pretty Lady!” Then, his face changed into an expression of fear. “Bad lady?” He whispered to Link.
The Hylian shook his head. “Very good lady. My friend.” Link said. Zelda blushed.
“Skull Kid, where are these ‘bad things’ happening?” Zelda asked gently. “Yes,” Link added. “Where are those bad things coming from?”
Skull Kid gestured wildly with his arms. “All over place!” He said quietly. He dropped his voice a few decibels: “But, mostly from Big hole! Link! You were there! Long Ago!”
Link looked at Zelda. “Big hole? Zelda do you..?” “No,” she replied.
The Skull Kid started stamping his feet. “Big Hole! Evil Face! Doesn’t friend-Link remember?”
“Ummm…no..” Link shrugged. “How long ago, Skull Kid?”
The Skull Kid his head, almost as to say “DUH!” He hobbled over to his stump, and pointed at the 7 year old drawing that was still there. “When this was!”
Link studied the drawing, and a light bulb went off in his head. “OF COURSE! How could I be so stupid?! I have to go back again…”
Zelda spoke up. “Look, I’ve been quiet this whole time, but what the hell are two talking about?! ”
“Do you remember when I had to leave Hyrule? I was maybe 12 or 13? I went looking for the Skull Kid?”
“Oh yeah!” A pause. “Wait, we have to go there? As in, away from here?”
“That’s what Skull Kid says. Here, we can use you to tell us if he’s right. You know that ‘malevolent draft of evil’ you were talking about?” Link gestured wildly, as if to pick on her. Zelda made a face. “Well, let’s go by ‘the hole’ and see if he’s right!”
The trio walked further into the woods, and Zelda’s senses led them straight to “the hole.”
“Well, that’s settled. We’re going back!” Link announced. “Link! Back where?” Zelda asked. “You never said where we were going!”
“Never mind. I’ll explain on the way. We probably don’t have much time until Armageddon anyway,” Link said.
“Come with you!” Skull Kid said.
“Actually, It’d be better if you didn’t. You don’t want the ‘Evil Face’ to get you again do you?” Link asked.
The Skull Kid scrunched up in fear, and shook his head.
“Be good, ok? Watch after my friends.” Link asked. The Skull Kid nodded.
He turned to Zelda. “We’re going to another land parallel to Hyrule. Everything’s got a mirror image, and its where I ran into Majora‘s Mask. We’re going back to Termina.”
***
The Realization by asil ocram
The Legend of Zelda: The Garo’s Curse- Part 2- The Realization


Ikana Canyon: 2,000 years ago
After the “Rukinu” departed back to the “Heavens”, the messenger ran back to his camp. The young man, Zaron Te`ishi, delivered the scroll to his comrades with great jubilation.
“K’eili ziah muctah!”
(Friends! A blessing from the heavens!)
The men gathered around the 20 year old. They came from the tents, from around the large fire pit, even the open fields. Soon, the entire tribe, about 50 Garo, had gathered around the small scroll. Most had shed their heavy overcoats for the day, and most had removed their masks. The Garo tribe was comprised completely of men, their chests and limbs were often tattooed over with battle prayers, and religious doctrine. Every man’s ears had silver loops in them.
“Zaron! Where’d you get this?” Asked a tawny haired Garo.
“A messenger named Rukinu,” Zaron explained. “Comrades!” he said, showing the crowd Ganondorf’s proclamation, “This is our salvation!”
“Our tribe has been oppressed for hundreds of years. What makes you think this will change anything?” asked an old man.
“My friends, All we have to do is wait. We will rise again, my friends! Read for yourselves!”
“Zaron! You’re crazy!” the young boys put in.
“Perhaps. But I have been having visions- we are strong. We will be stronger. This king cannot oppress us forever! We will soon have the land we seek! Now my friends, I leave you to the comfort of the night. My lover awaits me.”

Hyrulean-Terminan Border- The present
Link and Zelda had been walking for an hour inside the “big Hole” that would lead them to Termina. Both were tired, and extremely irritable.
“Link, How much longer? I’m hungry and tired, and my skirt is in real sorry shape, you know,” Zelda complained.
“Aw, shut your trap princess, Its not so bad.” Link insisted. “Would you rather have crawled through a swamp this whole time? Or, perhaps you would’ve liked to have swam the whole way? Or how about..”
“Not funny, Link. Hyrule needs us, and you’re busy telling me how lucky I am? You’re wasting time! You’re so dumb and selfish sometimes!”
Link turned around sharply, and gave Zelda a you-didn’t-just-say-that look.
“I’m dumb and selfish? Excuse me, but I’m not the one complaining about my dirty clothes!”
Zelda smiled sheepishly. “I think I’ll shut up now.”
“Good idea. You don’t stop complaining, and I swear, I’ll leave you here for the re-dead!”
“Ha-ha. Everybody knows the re-dead aren’t real!”
“Zelda, I’ve fought off so many of them …”
“Yeah, well, until I see one for myself, I’m not convinced.”
Link turned toward her to reply, but all of a sudden froze. A vile, decaying re-dead was standing behind her, ready to strike! “Zelda,” he said, his voice barely audible, “Whatever you do, don’t think, don’t breathe, don’t move! Just stay like that, and it’ll be over in 30 seconds…”
“What’ll be over in 30 seconds?” she asked, her tone matching his. She turned slowly…
“Don’t turn around!!!” Link flailed his arms for emphasis.
Too late. At the slightest movement from Zelda, the re-dead pounced! After less that a millisecond of resistance from the princess, the creature got her in the all too familiar choke-hold, and started to drain her blood!
“Damn it, Zelda! You just had to move, didn’t ya?”
Faster than lightning, Link drew his sword, and slew the demon in two, before any serious damage could be done. The force of the blow forced Zelda backward, and she landed in the muddy earth.
“Are you ok?”
“I am. My neck’s a different story,” Zelda said.
Link knelt down, and bandaged her wound. “Does it hurt?”
“Like when you thrust the sword in Ganon’s head.”
With Zelda properly bandaged, Link sheathed his sword, just in time to watch the bloody re-dead corpse disintegrate.
“Eeeewww..” the princess remarked. “That was positively gross…”
“Do me a favor, huh? Next time I tell you not to do something, don’t do it!!”
She sighed. “I’m sorry, Link. I guess you weren’t trying to scare me after all. I should’ve listened. And, from now on, I will.”
His features softened a little. “Well, whaddya expect from a spoiled, rotten princess who thinks she owns the world?? You know, I’m almost glad you’re losing your powers. It’s humbling you quite a bit.” He rose to his feet.
Zelda scowled. “I can take care of myself, Thank you!”
“Oh, yeah. You showed that nasty re-dead who’s boss! Yup, they won’t mess with you anymore!” He snickered.
She sat there, un-amused.
The Hylian changed the tone by offering her his hand, and acquired a thick medieval accent: “My lady appears as if she is in need of assistance, and I, her brave knight shall thence assist! Allow me to help you to your feet.”
“Link, stop acting like you’re on crack.”
He slowly withdrew his hand. “If my lady insists on sitting in the mud hole, then I shall not object!”
She chuckled, and grabbed his hand.
***
“Finally!” Link announced. “Out those doors lie Termina. Stick close to me princess, I haven’t been here in a while, and I don’t know the situation.”
An hour after the re-dead incident, they had made it to the sewers below Clock Town’s central tower- the infamous tower that opened to the public only on Carnival, as Link so well remembered.
“Whatever you say Link, lets just get outta here. I’m starting to feel like a sewer rat!”
Hyrule’s hero cautiously pushed the towers doors ajar. Bright sunlight streamed into the sewers, and made the travelers’ eyes wince. Both stepped out into the alley, hoping no one would notice.
The Sacred Realm, Ganon’s Prison
Ganondorf, the deposed leader of the Gerudo, gazed out onto Termina, overlooking Link and Zelda, chuckling as they made their way through to this moment.
He let out one of his ominous belly laughs. “It is time! The Beginning is at hand! Seven days more, and I shall be free of this wretched prison!
His black mind drifted to his accomplice whom he had visited just the other day, (although 2,000 years ago, in reality) “It was quite simple getting those fools to follow me…offer them the world, and they eat out of your hand. The young are so naïve.” He paused to dwell on the thought. “No matter. My followers will release me and restore me to my ultimate glory!”
Then, his glanced drifted toward the image of Link. “Damn him! Damn his very soul into Din’s pit! With my new strength, I will char his rotting corpse to ashes!”
He laughed again. “Enjoy the time you have, Hylian, for when I rise again, all shall be mine!”
His laughter continued, and with the dawn of the newest day in Termina , the countdown had begun. Unbeknownst to our heroes, the clock has started ticking, but without a clue and only seven days to solve a mural of a puzzle, can they really figure it out in time?
***

South Clock Town, Termina. 6:00 am
“Link? Why is it morning already? Its still the middle of the night back home! This is crazy!”
“Termina is a full day ahead of Hyrule. And this isn’t the worst of it. Wait until you see the other regions-”
She cut him off. “Other regions? Well, then where are we now?”
“This is just Clock Town, the central part of it. But this,” He said, pulling out a aged map from his belt, “ This is Termina.”
“This map is kinda outdated. How do we know if boundaries have changed?”
Link gave her a DUH! Look. “Termina is as old as we are. Have our boundaries changed much?”
“Not in the last fifty years.”
“I rest my case.”
Just then, Link’s hope of total anonymity was crushed. A cluster of young girls, Link’s “fans“, recognized him, even after 7 years. “LINK!!! YOU’RE BACK!! CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?” “HOW ‘BOUT A SMOOCH, HANDSOME?” “HE’S SOOO GORGEOUS!”
“Ummm…Zel? RUN!!”
He grabbed her hand and ran furiously throughout the still-sleepy town, when an idea hit him like a bunch of angry cuccos.
The two friends fled into the Laundry Pool, and lost their pursuers.
“Wow!…that was crazy!!….Link! You must be…popular everywhere!” Zelda exclaimed, in between breaths.
“Hey! Look at these!” Link picked up some rags that were lying on the ground.
“Take one of these, put it on, hide your face. Any questions?”
“No.”
With their new disguises intact, they set out, and to Link’s great joy, the travelers blended into the crowds perfectly.
“Hey Link? While I’m out joining you on your escapade, will you please do me a favor?”
“Anything for you, princess. You just name it!”
“Can you show me around?”
Link’s jaw dropped. Show her around? Our home is in chaos and she wants me to ‘show her around?’
“Umm, not to be rude but Zelda, we have a job to do! Hyrule is a mess, and you’re interested in sight-seeing…what’s wrong with this picture?”
Zelda began to pout. She stuck out her lower lip and gave Link puppy-dog eyes. “Link, you drag me to a foreign land, and you won’t even show me the hot spots? What kind of gentleman are you??” She said in a high-pitched whiny voice.
Link began to get upset.
“Look, I didn’t drag you anywhere. You were the one complaining about your powers and how much Hyrule is in. You followed me here.”
Zelda sighed. “I did, didn’t I?” she asked, feeling sheepish.
“Well, I must say I’m touched to think the Princess of Hyrule thinks I am so good looking, that she followed me all the way here.” He flashed a huge grin. “I am one cute guy, huh?”
Zelda rolled her eyes. “You are so full of yourself, you big-potbellied Goron!”
Link gulped and pointed. “That I may be, but other people also seem to agree with me. Let’s go!”
Apparently, Link’s paparazzi had caught up with them again.
***
By some miracle from the Goddesses, Link and Zelda were able to take refuge in the Stock Pot Inn. Anju, seeing Link was in trouble, offered them the honeymoon suite, free of charge.
“Zelda, are you hungry? I cooked breakfast…”
“No. Actually, I feel a little sick right now…”
“Is it your powers?”
“I don’t know. I just feel a little under the weather.”
Link shrugged, and ladled some deku root porridge into a bowl. “All the more for me, I guess.” Not a split second after he swallowed did his features convulse into a million different expressions. He dumped the rest of the slop into the trash. “Umm…maybe it’s a good thing you’re not eating right now…”
She chuckled. As much as a pain Link could be, he could sure make her laugh.
The mood became serious after a few minutes.
“Link? Do you have any idea why all this is happening?”
“An idea? I think so. But, I’ll hafta do some research.”
“How do you plan on doing that?”
“Quizzing the locals. I’ve learned in my travels if ever there’s a problem, the locals are a good source to go to. Actually, now that I think about it, I have to pay someone a visit. Stay here, and rest. You need to be healthy for whatever happens next, and I don’t want you sick, ok?”
“Can’t I go with you?”
“Absolutely not.”
“But why? I’m a big girl!”
“ Zelda, we have no idea who the enemy is, and besides, its too much of a risk. I’m sure whoever or whatever we’re dealing with would love to add the Princess of Hyrule to their hit list.”
She shook her head. “I don’t like this at all. I wish you’d let me help.”
“Its no big deal. Just stay here, I’ll be back before you know it.”
“If its no big deal, why can’t I come?”
Link’s eyes did all the pleading for him. “Just stay.”
The door locked shut behind him. A weak smile crossed Zelda’s face. You big, stubborn Goron, I don’t care if I bleeding out of both ends of my body, I have to help you..somehow…and I will.

North Clock Town, 8:00 am.
Link trudged along the streets of Clock Town in the early morning, beating himself mentally for leaving Zelda alone. I love her, I didn’t want her to be in danger…I hope I did the right thing…I’m sure I did the right thing. I just hope she stayed put. Zelda has a history of being very unpredictable. This is the place. Wow, its been seven years already! I hope this waiting has paid off…
The knight had arrived in North Clock Town, home of a Great Fairy, as well as the Bomber Gang, a group of neighborhood kids who secretly went around doing good for people. At least, Link hoped they still did. He had been good friends with their leader in the past, and perhaps now he could be of some help.
Yeah, there he was alright. When Link last saw Jim, the Bomber’s leader, he was a seven year old squirt who was trying to pop a balloon with a dart gun. Now a 14 year old teenager, Jim had traded in his dart gun for a bow and arrow, but the target was still the same..
“Hey Jim! Long time no see! How are the Bombers? Boy, have I got stories to tell you!”
Jim turned his bow and arrow on Link. “Hold on, buster! How do you know my name, and how do you know about the Bombers?” He asked through gritted teeth.
“Jim! Its me, Link!”
“Yeah? Prove it! You got ten seconds, other wise this arrow is going to find a new resting place- your belly!”
***
Princess Zelda, heir to Hyrule, was probably doing the stupidest thing in her life: disobeying Link. She had been traveling for an hour (In disguise of course) and found out a few helpful clues: No one travels anymore, the crops are failing miserably, and there have been a lot of ghost and re-dead sightings, especially around Ikana Canyon (Where the hell was that? She had thought.)
She had searched high and low for a library, any place that would hold records of any kind. No luck.
All of a sudden, she got a chill down her spine. I bet I’m coming down with something, she speculated.
Then, without warning, another chill came, more violent than the first. It was so powerful, she had to shiver, and it was 75 degrees out! It could only mean one thing: her intuition was acting up…but it couldn’t be.. The last time she had gotten violent chills like this was Ganondorf was present. When she was a child…
The “chills” increased in number and seemed to be slowly leaking from the air. She glanced in the general direction- East.
Bingo. The Ikanese sky was dark and ominous, the look of a tornado sky. Those clouds, she knew, had no business there. And they needed to be purged. Even if I get scolded, this trip was worth something. I’ve got to get back and tell Link!
She concentrated hard, in an attempt to teleport back to the room.
No effect.
In horror, she pieced everything together. So, that’s why she had felt sick. Teleportation, even short range, was now out of the question…“Great. Just wonderful…”
***
Link froze. Surely Jim was not a cold-blooded killer, but he didn‘t feel like testing fate. “Wait Jim! I have a Bomber’s notebook, that you gave me!”
“Show it to me, and maybe I’ll change my mind.”
Link rummaged around in his tunic pockets…uh-oh…Great, Link. Fine to time to clean out your stuff and lose your mementos…he scolded himself.
“Look, Jim, I kinda misplaced it. I swear its me! Just don’t-”
“Tell ya what,” Jim interrupted. “If you shoot down the balloon, with my bow and arrow, I’ll believe ya. If not,well…you know..”
“Ok, ok…”
“Oh, one more thing,” Jim added. “You only get one shot.”
Link shrugged. “You shoulda believed me, Jim. Anybody who’s got an arm can hit that balloon.”
With that, he stood back and shot. The arrow was true, and the target burst.
Jim’s mouth hung wide open, and it took all of Link’s strength not to laugh- Jim had made the same face seven years ago when Link used his slingshot on the balloon.
“Link?! Man, that has got to be you! Only you can make such a clean shot!”
The two old friends shook hands. “I’m sorry about all that…I wouldn’t have shot you, ya know..”
“I know. Its an image thing. Do yourself a favor and don’t do that again.”
Jim stared up at Link and gawked. “Wow! You got so tall!”
“You don’t look so bad yourself, kid! Someone’s been eating their vegetables!”
“Yeah, right! Its called playing hard, doing good, and being a Bomber!”
Jim asked the warrior what he was doing back in Termina. “I don’t hear from you in years, and now your back! What’s the deal? I know you womped that mask-guy good…is he causing trouble again?”
We don’t know what’s up, actually..”
“We? Aw geez, you got a partner?” Jim said, disheartened.
Link blushed. “Sort of.”
“I think I can help. Some really strange things have been going on here.”
“Oh really? Care to explain?” Link asked.
Jim sighed. “I can and I can’t. The thing is people stopped going to Ikana Canyon. I mean, no one ever goes there anyway, but still, there have been rumors that Gibdos have been advancing towards town, so nobody goes out at night. Even the Rosa sisters don’t dance anymore..”
“Uh-huh..”
Link scratched his chin in deep thought.
“Does anyone have any theories?”
“I do! In school, we’re learning Ikanese history, and there’s some pretty funky stuff that happened. Lotsa wars and hexes and curses, and I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them was coming true..”
Suddenly, a light bulb went off in Link’s head. “Hey, could I use the Astral Observatory?”
“Why couldn’t you? You’re a Bomber!”
Link rushed towards the steps of the sewers leading to the observatory.
If I’m right, this may just be the clue we need!
***
Link looked through the telescope, and snapped his fingers. “A-ha! I knew it! Good boy, Jim! You’re a winner!”
“Huh?”
“See for yourself!”
Jim looked through the telescope. “I don’t get it. All I see is a big cloud and a buncha lightning storms…”
“It’s a bunch of time rips, actually..”
“How do you know?”
“After traveling through time on several occasions, you get used to them. You were right about Ikana’s past being jeopardized. Now, I have to see who’s involved. Hey Jim, I’m curious…the guy that used to run this place…”
“Died. We bombers have been caring for the place since he checked out.”
“Too bad. I wanted his advice. Look, I’ve got to head back to the Stock Pot Inn. Thanks for helping me-”
“Can I come with you?” Jim interjected.
“Not now, Jim. I’m in a hurry, maybe when you’re older…”
“Hey! I let you in here! You could at least let me come along! Besides, I‘m not a kid anymore!”
“Jim, unless you’re an expert on time rips and Ikanese history, there’s not much you can do…”
“I got straight A’s in Ikanese History, and I’m taking the language in school. Got an A in that too. And what about all the stuff I told you earlier?”
Link gritted his teeth. “Doh! I hate it when I’m cornered like this!”
Jim smiled.
“Okay. You can come. But if I say run, you run. If say stay away, you do that. If I say bark like a dog…”
“Okay! I get it! I’ll be good. I promise!”
“Shake on it,” Link insisted.
The two did just that.
***

Stock Pot Inn, 11:00 am
“Zelda! How are you feeling?” was the first thing out of Link’s mouth as he approached his friend.
“I’m okay, and I think there’s something you should know..”
“Before you do that: Zelda, this is Jim. Jim- Zelda.”
Jim eyed Zelda critically, and crossed his arms. “Link? This is your partner? She’s a girl! How can she possibly help?!”
Zelda gave Jim an why-I oughta-kill-you look. “Hey bucko! Didn’t your mother ever teach you to be nice to a lady?”
“First of all, that’s my friend you’re talking about,” Link pointed out. “Second, this is Princess Zelda of Hyrule, and she‘s losing her powers. And by the way, I guess your mother never did teach you how to treat a lady…”
Jim’s cheeks reddened very quickly.
“Ummm…sorry Your Highness,” he said to Zelda. He bent low, and kissed her hand. “Do you mind if I call you that?”
“Its okay, and ‘Zelda’ is fine. We don’t exactly want people to know I’m here, okay?”
“Link, may I speak with you a moment?”
The two stepped to the side.
“Did you find anything out?”
“Quite a bit. The disturbance is coming from…”
“The East. And Ganondorf’s involved..” she blurted out. Oops. That was a mistake..
Link started jumping up and down and cursing in old Hylian. It was 5 whole minutes before Zelda could calm him down. Jim had erupted in laughter at the whole sight.
When Link was calm enough to get words out of his mouth, he spoke: “Zelda! I asked you to stay here. That’s not that hard a task! You’re a smart person, please tell me one thing: WHY IN THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT??? DO YOU REMEMBER THE LAST TIME YOU IGNORED MY WARNINGS?? WHAT IF SOMEONE SAW YOU??”
“Link, if I told you I was sorry, I’d be lying. I found out some important information, ok? We wouldn’t have a clue on what all this was about if I hadn’t have taken the risk…”
“That’s not the point. If you’re right, and Ganondorf is involved, what’s to say he doesn’t know we’re here!”
“Great Giants, you two stop arguing!” Jim insisted. “I’m getting a headache!”
Zelda, as always, was first to apologize.
“Look, its done and over with. We’d better get a move on anyway. The more we wait, the weaker Hyrule gets, as do I... Link, I was sick for a reason today…teleportation is totally out of the question now. Even if the distance is short. My other powers will follow soon, and what could’ve aided us later never will.”
Link shook his head. “Our small-mindedness is costing us everything. Our homes. Our friendships…if we’re not careful, our lives as well. Everyone, lets go. We’re going to Ikana Canyon to settle this.”
***
Ikana Canyon, 1:00 pm
The last two hours had been nothing but misery for the trio. Link had never seen so many Gibdos, especially out during the day like this. A re-dead practically sucked the life outta poor Jim, and Zelda found she couldn’t even use her magic to defend her friends.
They decided to let Jim rest for half an hour before moving on. Zelda became his official “nurse.”
“Where does it hurt Jim?”
“Everywhere…and I’m tired too…so tired…”
“Just relax and take a nap. You’ll feel better when you wake.”
Jim nodded once and promptly fell asleep.
Link was sitting nearby, chin resting in his hand. The princess decided to join him.
“I don’t like this, Zel. There is way too much going on here.”
“So, what are you saying? There’s definitely something up here?”
“Yes. That, and you were right. Something like this has Ganondorf’s name all over it…”
“Link…Do you know someone, anyone who help us pinpoint everything? I mean, you did say Ikana Canyon is vast, and we can‘t rely on a few extra Gibdos to give us much.”
“Well, Zelda, its not just a few extra Gibdos. Have you also noticed a few ghosts floating around?”
“Yeah, but so what? With all the Gibdos hanging around, I assumed they were part of the crowd.”
“Are you kidding? After I freed Stone Tower from the evils there, all the gibdos, ghosts, even Garo.. .everything…was all laid to rest!”
Suddenly, Zelda stood up. “That‘s it! That‘s our lead!”
“What‘s your lead?” came a weak voice.
“Jim, go back to sleep! you’re in no condition to-” Zelda started.
“What’s our lead?” Jim repeated, louder.
“Ummm…Zelda, what exactly is our lead?” Link asked, not quite getting it.
“OOO, YOU STUPID OAF!! You said there was nothing walking around after you fixed the problems here, right?”
“Yeah? So?”
“Well, don’t you think it’s a little funny that there are things walking around again?”
“I never thought about it that way..”
“Okay, now, have you noticed anything walking about that you had already put to rest?”
Link thought hard for a moment. It didn’t take him long to notice that some gibdos were once again walking around the music box house. Not to mention the music wasn’t playing, and the river had dried up again.
“Of course! So now that we know the dead are being disturbed, maybe we can get some information from the source!”
“Exactly!” Zelda flung her arms in relief.
“So now, I ask you again, Link the Genius- (he blushed) With all these souls walking around, do you think you could get some information out of one that you’ve met before?”
Link shrugged. “I’ve got one person…but that’s only if he’s walking around yet.”
“You know what? There are enough ghosts walking around here to make Kakariko Graveyard look like nothing. Let’s look him up.”
“What are we doing?” Jim asked. He was up and walking about.
“Have a good nappie-poo?” Link teased.
“Shut up, retard!” Jim said back.
“That’s it! You’re in trouble!”
“Oh, yeah? Bring it on, Mr. Hero!”
“My pleasure!”
Zelda let them have it out. “Well, this is what I get when I traveler with a bunch of babies!”
***
Ikana Castle remained unchanged since Link’s last visit, except for all the undead roaming around.
“Wow! This is so cool! Did you know all of Ikana’s royal families lived here?” Jim asked .
“I didn’t know Ikana had royal families.” Zelda quipped.
“Apparently they did. Igos du Ikana was one of their kings. He was also the one who taught me the Elegy of Emptiness.”
“Link! I didn’t know he taught you that song! The things you learn from dead guys.”
“Yeah well, if he’s still here, he can help us.”
The trio entered the throne room, the smell of age in the air. Sure enough, there was Igos du Ikana, sans his guards, which Link taught was peculiar. They walked in to have the doors lock behind them-again.
“I don’t like this,” Zelda whispered. “Locked doors like this make me nervous.”
“Aw geez, princess. I’m sure its no big thing,” Jim suggested.
There was a loud rumbling, the shaking of bones echoing off the walls. “WHO DARES TO ENTER MY PRESENCE?” boomed the king.
“Your Highness, ‘tis I, Link! We are in great need of your help.”
The old king hobbled off his throne towards the group. “Link, I cannot tell you how relieved I am to see you! My, you have grown!”
“Yes, Its been 7 years..”
“ Let me tell you, strange things have been happening…Ah, in times of crisis, my manners leave me,” he said, eyeing the others. “Tell me, who are your companions?”
“This is Jim, Your Highness, a close friend of mine.”
The king shook the young boy’s hand. “Hey, I never shook the hand of dead guy before!” Jim said. “Do I feel weird to you, Your Highness?”
“No weirder than I must feel to you.” He patted Jim on the head.
“And who is this young woman?” Link blushed. “Ummm…another close friend of mine: Zelda.”
“I am happy to make your acquaintance. It has been awhile since my kingdom has seen beauty such as yours.” He kissed her hand.
“So, what’s been going on?”
“Link, my friend, although you sent me to the afterlife, I found myself in this realm yesterday, and I was quite confused. I don’t ever remember how I got here or even why. I have seen more of my old subjects these past two days than I have in my entire lifetime, and it scares me…”
“Sir, if you don’t mind, I think your history’s being messed with.” Jim quipped. “I also think the dead have been messed with, but I don’t know how…Do you recall any strange events that would give us any leads?”
“My boy, my memory is quite useless, seeing as all my life’s events occurred thousands of years ago…”
“You’re that old?!” Link blurted out. Zelda gave him an evil eye.
“Link, I am the last of the great kings. I was at my peak 2,000 years ago. Shortly after my reign, my kingdom fell into the chaos you see now.”
Zelda pulled Link aside.
“Just how are we supposed to figure out where this disturbance is coming from? He’s not helping!”
“Zelda, patience is a virtue..”
“Not right now it isn’t! Look, I got another one of my strange feelings before…I feel like we’re on a timer of some sort: days perhaps…There is a reason all these dead souls have returned to the world of the living! They shouldn’t be here!”
“Alright, look. I can ask Jim about Ikanese History, but that would take forever. I can talk to Igos du Ikana, or I can do nothing. Take your pick. We don’t have a choice right now! I can’t speed this up any faster!”
“Link! Zelda! I’ve got to talk with you guys a second! I just remembered something important!” Jim yelled.
“We’ll be right there!” Zelda yelled back.
“Your Highness, do you have any records of the history from your era? We’ve been studying something in school that comes from that era, and its similar to what’s going on-”
“Alright Jim, we’re here. What’s going on?”
“Have any of you heard of The Garo’s Curse?”
Link and Zelda drew a blank. The king however, did not. His eyes narrowed, and he got an angry look in his eye. “Yes…why do you ask, boy?”
“Because! I think all this may have to do with that!”
“No! I will not believe it! I refuse to!” The king professed.
“What’s the big deal?” Jim said flippantly.
The king drew a breath.
“A Garo wrote it, (“I figured,” Link thought) in hopes that his tribe would take over my kingdom, and for other reasons that will go unmentioned.”
“Well, do the things that have been happening coincide with any of the curse’s prophesies?” Link inquired.
“Plenty of them..” the king muttered.
“WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL US BEFORE?” Zelda asked, frantic. “we’re losing time!”
“Look, our home is in trouble along with yours. That’s why we came all the way here-the source, for both problems, seems to be here.” Link explained.
“I see. It is the curse…It speak of 2 worlds suffering….” The king said.
I have a copy here somewhere. Pick this apart if you must.”
After searching, They found a copy- but there was one problem- it was written in Ikanese. Luckily, Jim translated.
“Jim, what exactly is in this curse?” Zelda inquired.
“Well, it talks a lot about dead souls coming to life again- and about 3 gold triangles, whatever that means,” Jim said.
Link and Zelda both gasped. “The Triforce!!!”
The Countdown Continues by asil ocram
The Legend of Zelda: The Garo’s Curse-
Part 3- The Countdown Continues


Ikana Canyon: 2,000 years ago

The sky was littered with the eyes of spirits, but the moon did not show her face. Zaron was pleased. No moon meant no unwelcome spectators.
He crept stealthily, the shadows his only guide. Not man nor spirit would keep him away from his goal. Not tonight. His cloak ruffled softly in the breeze, but it didn’t matter- These guards were half-asleep, drunken with the wine of weariness.
Slowly he scaled the castle walls, with nothing but his own hands. This was a cinch compared to climbing the rough cliffs in the wilderness, he was hardly breaking a sweat.
About three quarters of the way up, something unexpected happened. The walls began to creak, even crumble minutely. He swore mentally. The fragile walls could not support his weight much longer. He would have to hurry.
As he scampered up the rest of the way, he scolded himself. It was a minor mishap, seeing as the guards were asleep and unaware of his error, but not to him. He had always demanded perfection from his tribe, from himself. Especially himself. He should’ve expected this, examined every possibility, and yet one had eluded him. “There will be no more mistakes,” he vowed. Mistakes were…beneath him, his way of life. He could not afford any mistakes in his profession. Mistakes meant getting caught. Getting caught meant death on grounds of treason- Getting caught was not an option.
He smiled, the top had finally come. The Garo thrust himself over the adobe-like brick, and looked down. The damage to the wall was unnoticeable to the common eye, that was fortunate. His eyes floated up to survey the sky, (although of course, it was the same as it was the last time he checked,) and then came to rest on her.
He promptly removed his mask and stared into her eyes.
“Syea’ tei,” (mistress) he murmured.
She replied in Ikanese: “Neori.” (Iam here.)
It was then that the two came together in a passionate embrace, their lips enveloping each others’. For a moment, their lives were perfect.
***

Ikana Castle: The Present-2:30 pm
Link and Zelda had similar looks of panic on their face, but the king and Jim stood by, dumbfounded. Du Ikana finally turned to the preteen, baffled by Link and Zelda’s reaction.. “Boy, what is this ‘Triforce’ they speak of?”
“I dunno sir, I guess I could ask.” Jim replied. He took a breath, and walked over to the dazed couple. “Ummm…would someone please explain to me what a ‘triforce’ is?” Jim asked sheepishly.
Zelda broke out of her frozen state first. “Look, its not for you to understand, ok?” She snapped. “Stop being so nosy!”
“Hey, I’m not being nosy.” Jim countered. “I can read this crap, I think I’m entitled to what it says.”
“It is not ‘crap,’ boy! This is my language that you speak of!” The king said indignantly.
“Yes, well thank you, king, for that oh- so-helpful tidbit of info!” Zelda’s voice was pure sarcasm.
“You are truly a heartless wench!” Du Ikana roared. “I have never been insulted in all of my-”
“There’s a first time for everything!”
“Well, someone’s got PMS,” Jim retorted
“Alright, all of you stop! You’re acting like a bunch of babies!” Link yelled.
The commotion quickly subsided.
Link eyed Zelda, embarrassed for him as well as her. “Jim, what wench-woman refuses to tell you,” (Zelda crossed her arms) “is that the Triforce is very important to us in Hyrule. Our Goddesses created it, and whoever holds it gets a wish, and it is granted. There have been times where evil people have abused that privilege…”
“That explains why your female got so upset at the mention of it Apparently, she has seen that action taken before.” Du Ikana interjected.
“Iam NOT his female!”
Link shrugged. “I don’t claim her.”
Zelda’s tone changed. “But, how did you know about-”
“Link told me the last time he was here, my dear wench.”
He could see where this was going, so Link changed the subject. “Anyway, about that text…” He asked, pointing at the scroll in Jim’s hand. “ D’ya think you could translate it word for word for us?”
“Yeah, but it’ll take a bit..”
“What do we have to lose?”
“How about my powers??” Zelda chimed in.
“What does it matter? You’ve lost most of them already, anyway.” Link pointed out.
Zelda was not happy with his answer.
Link sighed. “Okay…Jim, how long?”
“An hour, maybe two.”
“Is that ok, princess?”
Zelda just sulked.
“That’s her way of saying Fine! But you’re wrong!” Link whispered to Jim. They chuckled.
While Jim was translating, Zelda sat by herself and cried. She’d worked so hard to keep the peace, and not 6 months after Ganon’s imprisonment there was chaos again.
Link came over to her and squeezed her hand.
“Its probably not as bad as you think.”
She glared at him. Link shrugged his shoulders and walked away. What she didn’t tell him was that her intuition told her otherwise.
***
Ikana Castle: 4:00 pm
After much toil, and frustration, Jim presented his comrades with the entire translation:
The Garo’s Curse

7 cycles after
The fall of certain doom
A greater foe will be unleashed
Swiftly, and all too soon.

The Fortress of the Sacred Gold
Will crumble and decay.
The Sister-World will wither and die
A little more everyday.

The Sundered-Kin will hear the call of War once again,
Blood will spill o’er the hills:
The blood of all who lives.

The Noble Ones will soon forget their own destiny,
As war begins to plague their souls, powerless, they will be

The Hero will lose his drive to fight,
The Sister-World will lose her only guiding light.

The Leader, whom they hold so dear,
Will walk among men, no different from the rest.
Stripped of power, and knowledge.

7 days after the Beginning, the ground will pour forth
Its dead, wandering souls, to roam the land once again.

When we are broken of the seal
Alas! On that awaited day


We will shake off death’s lowly chains,
Conquer the prison of the grave,
Claim the Gold that calls our name,

The Garo will rule all, and the way of things will be
…as they were before.

Link held up his hand. “Ummm, question. King Igos, what is a ‘cycle’ ?”
“I do believe it is equivalent to one of your years,” he replied.
“Funny.” Jim said. “Wasn’t it 7 years ago that you purged Termina of the mask?”
A chill went up Link’s spine. “Yeah…you’re right…” he whispered. “Hey Jim? Lemme see the text for a second.”
Link snatched the scroll and one of the lines in particular made him want to beat his head in:
The Leader, whom they hold so dear, will walk among men, no different than the rest.
“And Zelda was losing her powers. No wonder.” He thought to himself.
“Have you found the answer, my friend?” Du Ikana asked.
“I’m almost certain. Everything fits, I just wish I had confirmation…”
It was at that moment that Du Ikana’s guards walked through the wall, their ghostly forms terrorizing Zelda, and sending her straight into Link’s arms.
***
Ikana Canyon: The Past
After a string of endless kisses, Zaron spoke to his mistress:
“I dare not speak loud, darling. Tell me, how did you get out?”
“I waited until the old bags were asleep. Waiting for you seemed to take a lifetime! I didn’t think you would come, and what if you’d gotten caught?”
The couple embraced each other.
“Sweet, you know that no matter how bad things are, I will come after you. They can’t keep us separated forever.”
He took her hand and kissed it.
“As soon as your birthday comes, we’ll be married. Then, we will have no more of this hide and seek. Then, darling, we may walk in the sunlight, free to be seen.”
She ran her fingers through his hair.
“ I love you. I wish I were free to say so. Zaron, it’s so hard to hide the truth., sooner or later, everyone will find out.”
“Yes, love, they will. But, until then, as least we can enjoy this time together.”
They joined hands and gazed up at the sky. “ I’d like to think those stars up there approve of this.”
The girl smiled.
“Well, they may approve, But I do not!”
The couple whirled around in horror. The guards! Her father! Light from the castle. The meeting was over, and they were in trouble.
***
Ikana Canyon: The Present-4:00 pm
Du Ikana laughed. He was apparently happy to see his old comrades.
“My dear friends! What are you doing here? Why have you awaken from the Eternal Sleep?”
“Well, uh, the last thing I can remember is a flash of light-” The first one started.
“And then a boom!” finished the second.
“And then- we were at Stone Tower!”
“Yeah, Stone Tower! That’s where that was!”
“We didn’t know what to do-”
“Yeah, didn’t know..”
“So we came here!”
“Right. Came here!”
The first guard turned to the second, he shook his skeletal fist:
“STOP COPYING ME!”
“I’M NOT DOIN’ NUTHIN!”
“YES YOU ARE!”
They drew their swords. “I’m gonna cut you down!”
“Not before I’m through with you!”
“The both of you stop!” The king bellowed. He shook his head, his bones rattling as he did so. “You two never did get along in life, so why do I think you’d get along now?” he asked himself.
“We’re sorry!”
“Yeah, we’re sorry!”
The first gave the second a glare, and Zelda, seeing an opportunity, pulled Link aside.
“Link, our time is limited, we have to figure out where to go! Do you know where this Stone Tower is?”
“I DO, I DO!” Jim cut in. “Stone Tower is a temple. The Ikanese believed there was a time portal to the past in there, but no one’s ever figured out where it was-”
“Then that’s where we’re going!” Link finished. He turned to the guards. “Umm, where was this ‘flash of light’ you two leapt through?”
“Uh…I can’t remember?” The first one said.
The both of them scratched their heads.
“Enough! Both of you, to the foyer! Make sure no one enters!” Du Ikana roared.
After they had gone, the king continued: “My friends, I am sorry these clowns have wasted your time. Perhaps I can be of service.” The king offered.
“With all due respect, king, how can you possibly help us?” Zelda asked, her heart heavy.
“It is true, I have little magic left in me. I am surprised I have any at all, after I gave you that song so long ago. But, I will do this: I will make it so your ocarina will open a portal to my age. Link, what you must do is play ‘The Elegy of Emptiness’. At the song‘s end, the time traveling will begin. At the time you will arrive, the timeline shall already be warped. Keep your eyes and ears open, as my memory fails me. Also, take this.”
The king reached under his throne, and pulled out a dusty book. Its cover was half-rotted, and the pages were so brittle, it looked as if they would turn to dust upon contact.
“This is how history should be. Upon my return from Eternal Sleep, I had pulled this out and reviewed it. Obvious changes are now taking place in the past. This book is protected by a seal. A seal my…wife put on it. It tells the truth. The things I have spoke of, and things I never will again speak of. Farewell, my friends. Much success. Save your world, and ours.”
“Are you sure you can do that?” Zelda asked.
“Thank you for all your help,” Link said, trying in vain to stop Zelda’s questions.
The king closed his eyes and murmured a few words. “Now, Link.” He said.
Link brandished his ocarina, and played the song. “Wait! I didn’t know you had a wife!” Jim blurted out. It was too late. Ikana castle and Igos Du Ikana were already out of sight.
***
Ikana Canyon: The Past
The guards immediately shackled Zaron, and his mistress watched in horror. Her father muttered a curse to himself.
“Father! Stop them! Leave him be!”
The father, the Ikanese king, slapped his daughter. “Gei’kah, lei!” (Quiet, wench!) “Arie ter kaiye.” (I’ll deal with you after.)
After Zaron was subdued, The king beat him maliciously.
“Scum! Who are you that dares look eye upon my daughter?!”
When Zaron remained quiet, The King resorted to another 20 lashes. “Tell me! If you value your honor!”
Zaron rose his head weakly, and answered. His mistress looked on in fear.
“I am Zaron Te`ishi. I love your daughter as I do my life, and if that be some sin, forgive me.”
The King spotted something lying on the ground. “What is that?” He bellowed.
His daughter snatched it and hid it in her sleeve.
“Give it to me.”
“No.”
“STUBBORN GIRL! Do you not realize that if you refuse,” he paused, letting disdain hang on the word, “….your companion dies?!”
Reluctantly, the girl handed over the object. The king took one look and spat on it.
“ A GARO’S MASK???” He directed his rage at the shackled young man. He did not hang his head in shame, but held it pride-fully, boastfully. “Such that I am, your highness,“ Zaron replied.
The king directed his next outrage at his daughter: “YOU DARE TO COURT A GARO? YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO YOUR OWN KIND!”
With that he preceded to beat her, but before the whip came down, Zaron pushed of his captors, and shielded the girl as he took the lashes for her.
The king, disgusted, stopped his flogging and addressed Zaron.
“Move, scum!”
Zaron stood fast for 20 minutes as the girl‘s father administered more warnings and more beatings. The king finally lost his patience: “Remove him!” As they started to march he called after them: “Lock him up. The execution is in 3 days.”
His daughter broke down in tears.
The king turned to her. “YOU ARE A TRAITOROUS WHORE!”
He slapped her several times, and she did not utter a sound.
Finally, she spoke. “You’ll wake mother..” she whispered.
“What does it matter?? Let her see what you’ve become! Let her see how you’ve ransomed yourself to a low-life!”
“You don’t understand-”
“ Let me guess? You love him.” He made a mockery of the word “love.”
The daughter rose to her feet and spoke.
“Father, I have never lied to you. Yes, I love him, and he loves me.”
The father stood, speechless- unmoving, uncaring. Bad enough she was seeing someone behind his back. Even worse, he was a Garo. The Garo were evil magicians, moon-worshippers, heathens that tattooed their skin, wore masks, kidnapped their women and made them child-making machines! How could she submit to that kind of life? How could she? Why would she?? Why had this happened? Why does she turn her back on her birthright: head of the Ikanese people? Why does she turn from the glorious Sun-worshipping tradition?
“Why do you do this, daughter?” The king asked silently.
“Because this is my destiny…”
He spat, and spoke his words through gritted teeth. “DESTINY? Your destiny is to lead our people, set an example. Your are supposed to inherit the throne! You‘re not setting the example you should! A Queen-to-be does not run around with traitors! You must understand this!”
The daughter went into a rage. “YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND! YOU DON’T EVER GET IT, DO YOU? I do not want the throne! I want nothing to do with this confined life! It is an abomination to me, it goes against all I stand for! I never wanted this. EVER!”
The father replied icily: “Well, in my eyes, you are already one of them…”
“More than you know…” she threw his tone back at him.
She showed her father her tattooed arms.
Her father stood dumbfounded, just staring. He finally turned and spoke after 15 minutes of thought.
“Leiryra` Du Ikana, I renounce you as a person, my daughter, and my heir. The throne will pass to your sister.”
Her face flushed. “Big surprise. You always liked Rhe’yisa` best, anyway.”
She stormed off into her room, her pride hurt. No matter. She’d beseech his people. Her betrothed would live.
***
The Sacred Realm, Ganon’s Prison
Ganondorf looked through his crystal ball and laughed. “Idiotic fools! A day has elapsed, and they are still clueless. Oh, and their little time-traveling stint will cost them yet another day! 5 days remain until my return… and my army doubles as I speak!”
He walked a few paces, only to have an energy beam lash out at him. “Din’s wrath!” He rubbed his bald forehead, where the beam had struck. “Yes…only 5 more days…My servant has done well…Zaron was the seed, yes, but he is weak. My faithful servant is who will bring my rebirth!”
A pause. He gazed at Link, who was tumbling through time and space. “Yes..little pest….he will bring the end of you,” Ganon said maliciously.
Just then , a pulse went through his body. Not like the stinging energy beams that held him in his prison, but like a power, a force of some sort.
He smiled evilly. “Ah, it seems a sage has lost their power….and it has been transferred to me! Poor Saria, it seems Kokiri Forest is doomed!”
The crystal ball’s image flickered to that of the Garo in their camps, rallying around the scroll he had given them. “Patience, my followers. I will return….”
With that, he erupted into the stereotypical evil laughter that sends a chill up the bravest hero’s spine.
Separation and Forgiveness by asil ocram
The Legend of Zelda: The Garo’s Curse-
Part 4- Separation and Forgiveness

Within Zelda’s unconscious mind, A vision-dream-state had established itself. A voice came from the blackness: “Zelda…princess of Hyrule, leader of the sages, I beseech you to listen, even though we have forsaken you..”
Zelda, in her vision, whirled around to the helpless face of Saria. “SARIA? What’s the matter?? Is everything ok? Is Hyrule alright? Are the sages-”
“Your highness, I am powerless. On all planes.”
“Zelda gasped. You…you have lost your powers?”
Saria nodded sadly. “It is only through the powers of the other sages that I bring this message to you.”
“Is Impa-”
“She lives, but she is critically wounded.”
Zelda knew she’d be asking her next question in vain, but was determined for some sort of hope. “The war? Has it stopped?”
Saria shook her head. “At this very minute, hundreds of bodies smother Hyrule Field. Their blood covers the entire countryside! The Gerudo and Shiekah have killed innocents. Thousands of them! And now, this has forced the Gorons and Zora to take action! Our only neutral forces have picked up the sword…”
“The Gorons were never neutral! They destroyed the marketplace!“ Zelda yelled in fury. “Don’t you DARE cover for them!!”
“With all due respect, does it really matter now? This fight has gone so far as to involve the concern of neighboring countries!”
The two were silent. Saria quickly changed the subject.
“Your Highness, have you come close to finding the source of-”
“No. We have not even an idea…all we have is a mad hunch, and a spell for time-travel…”
Zelda brushed away tears that had flowed all too freely.
“Zelda, two days have now passed since you and Link left. Things, as you know, are progressing terribly, and at dangerous rates! Nabooru, probably the only one who can control her people, is still gone. Impa, still wounded, and as we speak, Brother Darunia loses his power as well. If you do not act quickly, we sages will be powerless…The world will be…doomed!”
They agreed in silence.
“Your Highness,” Saria asked softly, “You aren’t losing your powers too, are you?”
The princess did not wish to alarm Saria further. Hyrule was already a mess, things were already terrible, and The Forest Sage was upset enough for the both of them. News of Zelda’s power loss would only make Saria even more nervous and on-edge.
“No Saria, everything is fine for now. I just wish I knew why all this happening!” It was then a line from the scroll came to haunt the princess. Literally. The words floated before her eyes:
“The Noble Ones will forget their own destiny, as war plagues their souls, powerless, they will be.”
“No…It can’t be…” she whispered…
“Zelda? Your highness?”
“Saria! I promise I will right this evil, but it will take time…the mad hunch, the spell: Apparently, Du Ikana was right…”
“Zelda…the power fails me…I will…lose contact…soon…I will not forget……I know… good luck to all…and hurry…”
Saria’s image faded. Zelda had an awful pit in her stomach. She only had 5 days more…then the sages, herself included, would be powerless. The triforce would be vulnerable: to everything.
***
Ikana Graveyard, 2,000 years ago: 6:00 am

Link and Jim awoke simultaneously, both screaming at the top of their lungs.
“Hey, what’re you screaming about?” Jim asked.
“Well, what are you screaming about?” Link countered.
“No, you first!”
“Nuh-uh! You!”
“You’re older!”
“You’re younger!”
Jim and Link’s tantrum erupted into a playful fist-fight, like one that was had between two brothers. When pain didn’t work, Jim resorted to tickling. Link couldn’t stand it:
“OKAY! ST-OOOPPP! I’LL T-ELL! HAH! HAH! HEE! HEE! YAH!!”
Link sat up and composed himself. “I win!” Jim announced, with a smile a mile wide.
“Whatever…anyway, I dreamed an old adversary of mine came back to life, is all.”
“Ad-ver-sary…” Jim said, spelling it out. “Big word, huh Mr. Smarty?”
“Only to you ’cause you’re so dumb!”
Another round of play-fighting ensued.
Things died down again, and Jim spoke up: “Well, I dreamed about men in masks with two swords trying to kill me. Weird, huh?”
Link thought deeply. “No, not really..”
The warrior was reminiscing to the time he fought the Garo in Termina, several years ago- and Jim had described them exactly.
Just then, Link felt a pang of terror in his heart. “Jim, have we forgotten something? I feel like we’re missing something.”
“Or someone,” Jim replied. “Link! Your lady-friend is gone!”
The Hylian whirled around in every direction. Unfortunately, Jim was right.
Link pushed aside his bravado and started to worry. He hadn’t worried like this since the Great Deku Tree told him it was dying. “Where in the hell is she?! Farore’s Curse, how could we have lost her? She doesn’t even know where we are half the time!
She‘ll be killed!”
“Yo genius! No sweat! We’ll look for her!” Jim said nonchalantly. “Du Ikana couldn’t have messed up too badly, right?”
“Yes, good. Look for her…” Link repeated in a daze. “Good idea.”
Link had never felt so stupid. Or worried. Or upset. The woman he loved was alone in a land, not to a mention a time, that was foreign to her. She was vulnerable…especially if she had Du Ikana’s book..
“Jim! Check my bag. Is the book in there?”
Jim shook his head. “I think your friend has it. She was clutching it before we left.”
Link smacked his head. “Great. Just perfect!”
After swearing in Hylian, Zora and Goron, Link bent his knee and whispered a prayer: “Good Goddesses, if you hear me, please protect Zelda. I love her.”
Jim ambled towards Link and punched him playfully in the shoulder. “Hey Loverboy! It’s kinda dark! We oughta to figure out where we are! Besides, we need to know our surroundings if we hafta rescue your girlfriend!” He said. “True,” Link admitted. “All right,” Link said, rising. “Let’s try and get some bearings.”
The two friends surveyed the surroundings: canyon-like, all the same throughout. For several minutes, they looked around, but there didn’t seem to be any paths.
Finally, Jim got to complaining: “We’re going around in circles!!”
“We’ll get somewhere. Just be quiet and look.”
Jim rolled his eyes.
For another hour, they studied rocks, stars, anything that might give a clue as to time and place.
Suddenly, Link struck gold. Literally. The ground had turned a golden color, not like the normal red rock formations. The ground felt more gritty under his boots, more… sandy. Link picked up a sample of the soil, and Jim gave him a look: “You’re not gonna eat that are you? I saw this movie once where The guy ate the ground in order to track his enemy. The ground was all mushy like diarrhea or something! It was really gross!”
Link ignored him, and held the sand. It was like the substance that covered modern-day Ikana graveyard.
“Hey Link! Check this out!”
Jim had found symbols etched into the canyon wall. Link gave the wall a quizzical look.
“It looks like cucco-scratch! Do you know what it is? Its not Ikanese, is it?”
“Are you kidding? Of course not!” Jim replied. “Remember the writing in Du Ikana’s castle? The figures were more graceful, the symbols flowing, with dotted accents.”
“Oh wow, dotted accents! ” Link said, rolling his eyes. “Who cares what it is? Who cares who wrote it? Probably some stone-age kid who wanted to play a stupid game!”
Jim slapped Link’s head.
“Duh, genius! Ikanese kids don’t know how to write! Only the wealthy ancient Ikanese ever got writing lessons!”
Link chuckled. “I knew that. Really, I did.”
“Hey! What’s this?” Jim asked as he surveyed the land ahead.
“Link! There’s a light up there! There’s people up there! ”
Link cupped the boy’s mouth. “Would you be quiet?? I swear, I think the Sages heard that one!”
Jim eyed Link rudely, as if to say ‘that‘s nice, could you please let me go?’
Link nodded, but explained. “Look, if whatever’s up ahead is evil, we won’t have a jump on them if you yell! They might catch us first!” He whispered.
“Too late.” a stranger answered.
Link felt 2 sword blades at his throat. “Lower your weapons….” Link pleaded.
“I think not.” the stranger answered.
Link did a back-flip and landed amidst a crowd of masked men with swords at him.
“Link! Help! I’m kinda in trouble!”
Jim was being held hostage. A group of masked men had chained his hands together, while others held their swords at his neck, like others had done to Link.
“Let him go!” Link demanded.
“Silence!” His near-killer exclaimed. There was a hush. His men were quiet.
“We are the Garo, the sons of the moon! These are our lands, which you have trespassed! Now, our leader will deal with you! And the wrath of Rukinu shall be delivered!” Cheers from the other Garo ensued.
The Hylian saw he was outnumbered, and with great disgust, lowered his hands in surrender. The masked men marched their captives back to camp, passing the “etching” along the way. In the Garo language it stated:
Soldiers of light beware,
The moon has claimed this hallowed earth.
If light were to tread to darkness,
Then surely, it will be swallowed.
***

Ikana Castle, 2000 years ago
The princess of Hyrule was jolted out of sleep. Her body was swathed with sweat, and tears were beading at her eyes. She sat up, her eyes adjusting to the light. All Saria had said had truly shaken her soul. She was afraid. For her, for Link, for Hyrule.
She realized at once that she was in the past, and she was in a building of some sort. “Link? Where are you? I can’t see a thing…”
Zelda groped the walls for awhile, and made out the form of an unlit torch. “Jim? Link? I found a torch. I’m going to try and light it…why aren’t you all answering?” She decided they were probably still sleeping, and that she would wake them after the torch was lit. (“If it lights,” she thought.) Zelda closed her eyes and concentrated.
Several minutes went by, and finally, after multiple attempts, the torch lit. She looked around and immediately started panicking: Link and Jim were nowhere to be found.
“Oh no! Where are they?” She whispered.
She sat down, confused. “How could we not have arrived in the past in the same place?” She asked herself. She thought for a little while, but could not answer her question.
Zelda smoothed her dress and wiped the sweat from her head. “Well, this is strange. This just gets weirder and weirder.”
It was then the door to her “room” opened. In walked a young girl with chestnut hair and milky skin. The girl bowed low and welcomed Zelda:
“Soei! Astea, Soei!”
(Miss! Welcome, Miss!)
Zelda raised an eyebrow. “What did you say?”
The girl eyed Zelda suspiciously:
“Soei, Astea, Soei.” She repeated calmly.
“What?”
The handmaiden looked Zelda in the eye and yelled out the syllables of her greeting:
“SO-EI, AS-TEA, SO-EI!”
“Okay, stop!” Zelda said, cutting the girl off.
“MY NAME IS ZEL-DA.” Zelda said loudly and slowly, and gestured to herself.
The handmaiden gave Zelda a quizzical look, and grabbed Zelda’s hand.
“Sheiyalei` werum ju, Neira` Wej!”
(The Queen wishes your presence, Honored One!)
“Huh? Wait! Where are we going??” Zelda yelled.
The handmaiden took Zelda through the door into a large hall. Of course, now Zelda knew where she was! She was in Ikana Castle, in the main hallway! Zelda grabbed her hand out of the handmaiden’s.
“Wait! Lemme catch my breath! Ouch! You‘re pulling me! Hey! Stop it!”
Another look from the girl.
“What? Do I have a zit?” Zelda asked indignantly. “Why don’t you people speak Hylian? Why are you looking at me like I‘m some freak? Answer me!”
Unfortunately, the entire hallway heard Zelda, and all eyes were now on her.
Zelda smiled weakly. “DO YOU PEOPLE SPEAK HYLIAN?” She asked slowly and loudly.
The entire hall erupted in laughter.
“Hie wia`h, pera tan sui!” ( She is so stupid, poor thing!) The handmaiden announced to her friends. Some snickers and giggles.
“Yeli`ar cak pei Sheiyalei` bi Hie!” (I don’t why the Queen would want to see her!) More laughter. Some had gone so far as to fall down and clutch their sides.
Zelda was red at the cheeks.
“YOU PEOPLE ARE SO RUDE!” She yelled.
The girl took Zelda’s hand again.
“Where are we going now?” Zelda asked, gesturing to the handmaiden.
The girl ignored Zelda.
Zelda rolled her eyes. “Did you even hear me? What am I, invisible?”
“Pei tai cah!” (Shut up, idiot.) The girl whispered.
Zelda rolled her eyes indignantly. Well, I’ll be glad when she leaves!
The handmaiden opened a large door and threw Zelda in. “Hey!” Zelda yelled. “What’re you doing? What is this, some kind of cell?”
“Moera, Astea! Cei!”
(Many blessings. Goodbye!)
The handmaiden closed the door. She shook her head. “Teua keid-jai wej!” She mumbled. (A weirder one, there isn’t.)
Zelda was thoroughly pissed at how that gone. She couldn’t even communicate with these people! How was she supposed to find Link and Jim?
She glanced at her surroundings. Hey, this isn’t a cell! She was thankful for that bit. Wait, this is the throne room! She thought to herself. Zelda also noticed it was eerily empty.
“Hello? Is there anyone here?”
Silence, sans her voice echoing off the walls.
“Can anyone understand me? I need help!”
Again, the same.
“Please, I beg you, if there’s someone here, please help me!” Zelda yelled in frustration.
“There is someone here, and I have every intention of helping you,” came the reply.
“Who said that?” Zelda asked, surveying the room: It still appeared vacant.
“Where are my friends? What have you done with them?” Zelda demanded.
“In good time, dear. Your friends will be fine. I have foreseen it.”
“Show yourself, you, you…whatever you are!” Zelda said, flustered.
“And, how do you know that my friends will be fine? Come to think of it, how do you even know my language?” Zelda added defensively.
Suddenly, there came a rustling, and a beautiful woman emerged from behind one of the thrones. Her hair was longer than Zelda’s, jet black. Her clothes were silken-like, blue-black and gold in nature. Her skin was a milky white, like the handmaiden’s, and her eyes were sky blue. A gold sort of circlet sat a-top her head.
“There is much I do know, and this I will explain in time. But for now, Let us talk of the current situation. Princess Zelda, I am honored to meet you.”
Zelda’s mouth dropped. “You know my name, too?”
The mysterious woman smiled. “I warned you that I know much, did I not?”
“Yes…yes, you did,” Zelda said, slowly taking it all in.
“I know you are not from my lands, and that your kingdom and mine have been changing rapidly-”
“And not for the better,” Zelda interjected.
“My dear, there is little time. I need you to trust me. I know this is very hard, since you hardly know my name, but you must believe me. Our kingdoms depend on it.”
Zelda did not want to enter a truce with a stranger, but this stranger seemed strangely benevolent. She decided if she was without Link and Jim, She’d rather be safe than sorry.
***
Ikana Graveyard, the Past, 9:30 am
Link was herded into a tent, his clothes stripped from him- they let him keep only his pants and boots. Link tried to overpower them, but the one-to-five odds didn’t help. The past three and a half hours had been rough, with all of the public jeering, and brawling. And his guess was, it wasn’t going to get any better. By the time Link had stopped struggling, a Garo had brought in a whip- a sort of cat O’nine tails with not nine but 13 spikes on the end. Link swallowed hard.
Then, the beatings began. They were slow, but painful. Each time the whip was flung, Link had 13 large metal thorns dig into his back. Link moaned in sheer agony, and tried to focus his thoughts: the pain, oh, the pain! He thought it would eat him alive. Another smack of the whip: Oh, make it stop! He prayed. He had gotten into some nasty battles before, but the amount of damage he sustained was minimal, if not pathetic. Link watched his punisher as he flung the whip: He was merciless, Link realized. There was a certain fire in the eyes that gave the impression that this torture would not end soon.
The minutes passed, and Link thought of other things: The nerves in his back were so ravaged that he couldn’t feel anything anymore, anyway. He thought of Jim, how much he’d grown, and how impressed Link was at what kind of person the Bomber had grown into. He marveled at the brotherly love between them- this was the closest he’d ever had to a sibling.
SMACK!
Link winced, but again, felt nothing. His withdrew back into his thoughts-
Zelda. He had hardly to think when her face floated before his mind. Comfort flooded his being, and he meditated on his love: Her smile, her laugh, even her ditzy ways sent pure joy into his heart. Just thinking of her made the hero a little happier. “Even if I die, I will die with her face on my mind, her name in my heart,“ Link resolved. That was good enough for him.
***
Ikana Castle, the Past
Leiyra` Du Ikana slipped into the castle dungeons unnoticed, thanks to the new magic Zaron had showed her weeks before. She shivered at the sights she was beholding: Men with no legs, arms. Men with neither legs nor arms, but bloody stumps! Leprosy was rampant, and rats liked to nest on their new room-mates: some bodies were crusted with feces, and rotting carcasses were being devoured. Some of the very sick were even being eaten alive! “How does my father allow this? Has he no respect for life? And he claims to worship the Sun, the very life-giver!”
Zaron was shackled at the very end of the dungeons, the very deepest dungeon: sans his mask, sans his traditional garb, sans his pride. Leiyra` quickly revealed herself to him, and flung herself on his waning body.
Zaron stroked her face. “Darling? Why are you here? This is madness!”
“What have they been feeding you?” Leiyra` asked, her eyes brimming with tears. “You look as if Death would swallow you soon!”
“My precious dear, I will not allow death to swallow me!”
They hugged, and Zaron asked her: “How long have I been-”
“About three days. Why have you not escaped? If you do not, surely, they will kill you!”
“The trial, Leirya`. Tommorrow, I am convicted and sentenced, surely they would not kill me before. The entire town is coming to see the ‘sorcerer’ get executed! As for escape, I am using all my magic to stay healthy.”
“Can I do anything before I leave?”
“Leave! Where are you going?”
“To tell your comrades! They must know! If you die tomorrow, what’s to stop my father from mistreating all of you?”
Zaron nodded. “Leirya`, I told you of the messenger?”
She nodded enthusiastically.
“We will become strong again, I promise.” He kissed her gently. “Now, go and do as you will. My blessing upon you, darling.”
“Wait! There is something I must tell you. Something that may spare you tomorrow.”
“Tell, sweet. My ears do listen.”
“I am with child.”
Zaron blushed a little, and his eyes started to tear. Most Garo were stoics when told of news like this, but Zaron was anything but. He embraced his beloved and stroked her hair.
“Darling! I know of nothing better to bring our kingdoms together than such gloriousness as this!”
He kissed her deeply, and patted her tummy.
Zaron wiped his tears and cleared his throat. “But for now, you must hide this. If your father were to discover this-”
“Or my sister,” Leirya` finished.
“They would deny you of what is yours, your precious life.” He kissed her again. “Go now, my sweet. Tell our people the news! Tell them I am well!”
“I will!”
“And darling?”
Leiyra stopped in her footsteps.
“Tell them we will get through this persecution!”
Leirya` chanted the invisibility spell, and tore out of the dungeon. Unfortunately, it was not before an unwelcome guest had discovered her secret….
***
Ikana Graveyard, the Past: 10 am
All at once, Link’s torture was halted by the sound of a horn. He instantly thanked the Goddesses for their mercy. The guards came and fetched Link, and marched him into what could be the village square.
Jim also emerged with his captors. Judging by the way he looked, Link guessed his torture had been no easier than his own. And Jim was just a child! It was a true miracle that he was even standing.
There was a command: “Fe’ra tai: Hei’dan! Koam sut!”
At once, everyone dropped to a knee. Apparently, the Garo’s leader was making a much-anticipated appearance.
Link’s head was thrust to the ground as he came into the presence of the Garo’s leader. Jim’s captives did the same to the boy: “Hey! Leggo!” Jim yelped. The rest of his words were muffled from the dirt he had in his mouth.
“You will be silent!” Jim’s captors insisted.
“Aww, Tpei kah!” Jim spat.
The Garo ran him harder into the dirt. They rubbed it everywhere: on his face, on his clothes. Apparently, that was their way of “washing out the mouth with soap.” After that, they beat him whip the same whip used on Link.
Now Link, who had seen monster’s entrails and had been covered with blood many times in his career, couldn’t watch his friend being tortured. It was true what they said: It is so much easier to bear pain than to see the pain of others.
The Garo’s Leader passed through the crowd, shaking hands. He was called
“Ke’jai,” one of their highest honorifics. Finally, he settled next to Link and his captors.
As the Garo conversed, Jim took the time to speak to Link:
“How do you like them tortures?” He asked, half-jokingly.
“As much as I like being in chains,” Link replied nastily. “Hey? Do you know what they’re saying?”
Jim opened his mouth, but never got the chance to use it.
The Leader turned to Link. “You are ignorant. Our magic is strong, and now we will converse.” “What is your business here?”
“Look, I’m just trying to find a friend. It’s a long story.”
“Yeah! It’s not like we were planning a sneak attack!” Jim interjected.
A look from the Leader, a dirty one from Link. “Well, its true!” Jim added, trying to save his skin.
“So! You have been scheming against us!” The leader said, outraged.
Link flailed his arms “Of course not, your graciousness! My friend here has a huge mouth!”
“Nevertheless, you are strangers, ENEMIES! By law, we must fight to the death!”
Link sighed. He didn’t like where this was going: death matches weren’t exactly going to lead him to Zelda, or the temporal disruptions.
“And what if I refuse?” Link retorted.
“Then your friend shall die.” There were swords automatically thrust at Jim’s throat.
“Link! Hey, I know I got a big mouth, but I’m the Bomber’s Boss! I got a job to do! I can’t die!” He turned to the Garo: “Guys, hey, we’re men! Let’s talk this out!”
“I accept,” Link said.
The leader smiled. “I have never been defeated. I am the reincarnation of the moon himself. Tremble before my power!”
A roar from the crowd.
A gulp from the Hylian.
***

Ikana Castle, the Past
“KE-IA!” came a shout from outside the hall. The doors flung open to the throne room and in rushed a girl of about Zelda’s age. She was decorated lavishly as the mystery woman was, only her features were very different: This girl had firey red hair and tanned skin, her eyes the color of chocolate. Her costume also reflected that of oranges reds and the occasional yellows and gold, not the blues and blacks of the mystery woman‘s. The girl was out of breath, and perturbed at something.
“Please excuse me,” The woman said to Zelda, and rushed over to the girl.
The girl, however, was the first to act. She ran up to Zelda: “Que` kei kai, wej?” (Who are you, girl?)
The mystery woman pulled the girl away from Zelda.
“What is it, Rheyisa?” the woman asked.
“Mother! Mother, I have found out something terrible about my sister! She’s…She’s…”
The two women conversed, and when they were finished, the elder shooed the younger out.
“Zelda, I am terribly sorry, but something has come up. Please feel free to use my quarters to relax in. I promise we will converse later and all will be explained.”
The woman ran hastily, and the throne room doors slammed shut once more.
Zelda sat. “Great. I don’t know who these people are, I don’t speak their language! I have no idea where Link is, and we are no closer to solving this mystery!”
Zelda sobbed, and her cries echoed off the throne room walls.
***

Ikana Canyon, the Past: 10:30 am
The duel was to take place in the square. Link was given his sword back, and the mysterious Garo, of course, waved around his twin blades. “First to kill the other wins the duel.” The Garo said. There was a flick of his swords. Funny. It reminded Link of the time he had fought the Gerudo women- They also favored twin blades…
“E’lai!” The Garo shouted. He struck a stance, and Link took one of his own. He assumed the shout had meant for Link to be on his guard.
The first blow came out of nowhere. Link blinked, and his adversary was gone. No sooner had he turned his head to look than was he tripped. The Garo came flying at him, similarly to the way the ones at Stone Tower had. Link parried, and the fight had begun.
Swords clashed, the clanging of metals filling the air. Some of the spectators mumbled- most challengers of the Ke’jai had hardly lasted five minutes, and this stranger was carrying on as if he were as good as the Ke’jai himself! It was indeed interesting.
Link flipped and swung his sword like there was no tomorrow. The Garo was truly testing his limits: not only as a swordsman, but as a mental fighter as well. Several times, his opponent had disappeared in front of his eyes, and Link had to anticipate where the Garo would appear next. 20 minutes into the battle, Link managed to nick the Ke’jai’s cloak. The Garo gasped. Apparently, Link had set a milestone.
***
Jim saw his chance. His captors had withdrawn their swords, and were busy debating Link’s fighting skills. He tore out of the crowd like a bat out of hell. Unfortunately, he had only gone ten feet when his captors realized he was gone. Jim cursed, and ran faster.
He hurried into a tent, gasping for breath. He proceeded to hide when his foot struck something: it was Du Ikana’s book. He kissed it, thanked the Giants, and decided to check up on what had changed.
Quickly, he flipped through it. “Damn! Too far back!” He flipped some more. “Double Damn! Too far forward!” Finally, he saw something that was of great importance…
He didn‘t catch it quickly enough. Jim was caught, and 4 burly Garo dragged him out of the tent. One stayed behind and Jim saw him toss the book in the fire. Oh crap, he thought miserably.
They dragged the boy back into the crowd, and was promptly beaten. Jim didn’t say a word, he decided he wanted to stay alive. If they beat him much harder, he knew that wouldn’t be a possibility. Jim watched the fight in the square, and prayed for Link’s victory.
The fighting went on for another half-hour with no progress. Jim prayed more furiously- the eight swords at his throat was starting to make him uneasy.
Link and the Ke’jai had been in a total deadlock for an hour straight- each one’s strength was the equal of the other’s, each one had the other’s injuries. After another ten minutes of ferocious swordplay, the Ke’jai disappeared, and Link strained his senses to find him: by this time, however, Link’s senses were too worn to keep up: The Garo came from behind, and struck Link over the head with his sword handle. Link fell to the ground, and Jim gasped audibly, and cheers came from the crowd.
The Ke’jai spoke: “You were a worthy adversary: before I send you to your maker, I pray your judgment be quick.” With that, the blades came down.
***

The Sacred Realm- Ganon’s Prison
Ganon viewed the scenes before him as calmly as one would watch television. There was the occasional grin, and of course, the belly laughs. “This is simply too amusing,” he said, aloud. “Zelda speaks, and none understand. That wretched little pretty boy swings his sword, and now, his brains will spill all over Ikana Canyon!”
Suddenly, Ganon felt another pang of warmth penetrate his body. His closed his eyes, and stretched, savoring the feeling. “It seems Brother Darunia has lost his punch,” He said, smiling evilly. “2 down, 5 to go!”
His mind lapsed into visions of grandeur: Ganon riding on his jet-black stallion, the world trembling at his feet, the magic of the Garo behind their Master. He could hardly wait.
“Don’t get too cocky, Ganon. Link will figure this out.”
He turned to see Nabooru standing in front of him. “Why, my dear Nabooru! Its been so long!”
“Not long enough,” She spat the words like a snake would acid. “I’ve come to tell you I know what you’re up to. I went through the archives and found The Garo’s Curse- translated into Gerudo.”
Ganon’s face was neutral, but he was annoyed someone had figured it out. But, on the same token, he always thought Nabooru, if anyone, would figure him out. He was impressed with her, as usual.
“You never cease to amaze me, Nabooru. You turn out to be one of those pathetic Sages, and you ruin my all my plans. I expect no less from you.”
He applauded.
Nabooru continued, ignoring his little speech. “Clever, taking advantage of my people’s history like that. It’s too bad you won’t get away with it. Link will know in time my people‘s secret, and link you to all the disaster.”
Ganon laughed: “Really? I hardly think you can help him when you’ve had a hard enough time controlling our people.”
Her face hardened. “My people,” she corrected him. “You’re a traitor! You sent hundreds of us to our deaths, stole our children, raped whomever you pleased! You dishonored our way of live! You have no right to claim us.”
“You are no better.”
“How dare you even suggest such an idea.” She whispered in a dangerous tone.
Ganon eyed her seriously. “For years, you lived for yourself. Did what you wanted, whether it hurt other people or not.”
“Because people worshipped the scum of the desert. People can be pompous asses, especially if they are led by one.”
“So that gives you the right to kill and deceive? That’s Anubis crap, and you know it! ”
“I didn’t come here to talk about me,” Nabooru said curtly. “I’ve made mistakes, but nowhere near the ones you’ve made.”
“Well, than apparently you‘ll get more than you asked for,” Ganon said malevolently. “I seem to remember a time when you and I weren’t so different-taking advantage of people used to be….fun.”
“That was then,” she said darkly. “I took advantage to thwart your plans, you took advantage for your own selfish reasons.”
“And thwarting me wasn‘t a selfish reason?” he asked.
She was silent for a minute.
“I did it because it was the right thing to do. Because it was in the people’s best interest.”
“They didn‘t seem to think so.”
Silence.
“Technically, I could‘ve killed you for treason.”
“Then why didn‘t you?”
“You were a good second-in-command. I couldn’t afford to lose you for strategic reasons.”
She crossed her arms. “Yeah, because eyeing me like some sort of candy was real strategic.”
“Tut, tut! You digress,” He said, as if she were the one guilty of maniacal lust.
“But back to the issue, Yes, I knew of your sabotage activities! I knew your loyalty to me was faked. But my dear, there is good news for you: I’m giving you a chance to redeem yourself.”
Nabooru rolled her eyes. “Like I’d want to prove myself to you.”
Ganon shrugged. “Hey, I‘m giving you the option. You don’t want it? Fine. You can hide under all of this Sage crap for all I care, but it doesn’t matter- you’ll lose your powers like the others, and then what?”
She shook her head. “If that’s what must be done, so be it. I have a feeling it will never get that far.”
“You and your feelings!” Ganon chided. “It‘s too bad your feelings get in the way. I know if we joined together, they wouldn‘t stand a chance.”
There was a deadly pause. Nabooru swallowed hard. She answered candidly and calmly:
“This isn’t even up for discussion.”
Before she left, she stated: “Just be warned- you may have the upper hand now, but it never stays that way.”
She was gone in a flash.
Ganon just smiled. “My dear, if only you knew,” he said confidently.
***
Ikana Canyon, The Past: 11:41 am
“NEI!” A woman’s scream came to Link’s rescue. The Garo held his swords inches from Link’s head, and cocked his head towards the sound.
A cloaked figure ran out of nowhere, and snatched the swords out of the Garo’s hand. “Zaron! Zaron ist jeh gai kem!” (Zaron! He’s needs our help!)
The dazed Garo released their hold on Jim and he ran to Link and smacked him hard: “Hey! Wake up, man! Hurry! Now’s our chance to get away!”
No response. The Hylian was out cold.
Jim shook his friend by the shoulders. “Wake up!! Come on Link, gimme a sign! Say something!”
Still nothing. Jim started to tear at the eyes.
“Come on, man! Quit playing! You’re scaring me!”
The cloaked woman removed her hood, and asked Jim a question:
“Qe kai?” (Who are you?)
Jim looked at her, then went back to resuscitating Link.
“She wants to know your name,” The Garo’s leader translated.
Jim lashed out. “My friend’s dying here, and you want to know my name?!”
Jim pounded Link’s chest, but the Hylian didn’t stir. By this time, his tears had fallen over, but his voice remained steady. He turned to the Garo’s leader: “Tell her if she can help my friend, then I’ll tell her what she wants to know.”
The Garo translated, and the woman bent down and placed one hand on Link’s head. The other rested on his chest, and she chanted a spell. Her hands emitted purple waves similar to Zelda’s when she was healing.
Jim turned to the Garo’s leader. “Promise me you’ll spare the both of us so we can explain our situation.”
“You violated our sacred lands! I cannot promise you that!”
The woman turned around and said to the Garo: “Weilyah, du fai!” (Promise him what was asked!)
The Garo nodded curtly.
When the woman was finished, Link’s eyelids fluttered open, and Jim gave him a bear hug.
“You’re okay! You scared the crap outta me, Link! Why’d you black out like that?”
Link rubbed his head. “I don’t remember…I was hoping you could tell me that.”
There was a pause, and there was a knot in the a Hylian’s stomach. “What’s going on?”
“Hey man, ask her! She did it all!” Jim motioned to the mysterious woman.
“I don’t think so!” The Garo said. “You still haven’t explained why you are on our land!”
“Hey, Garo dude? I think we need a minute…” Jim asked.
“A minute, only.”
Jim yanked Link to the side. “How much do you remember?”
Link shut his eyes: “Just that I was fighting that guy.”
Jim paced. “Look, How are we going to convince them that we mean no harm? They think we’re from Ikana!”
Suddenly, there came an idea. “Of course! the book!”
“Goron-head! You said Zelda has the book, remember? He-llo! (He rapped hard on Jim’s head) anybody home?”
“Umm, actually she doesn’t have it,” Jim said matter-of-factly.
“How do you figure?”
“Look, to make a long story short some concepts are as old as man: If there’s a fight, we must watch: basic male programming. Anyway, I escaped during the fight and found the book.”
“Did it ever occur to you to take it?” The Hylian was annoyed.
“Uh, they kinda caught me. They took the book and burned it.” Jim had plastered one of his please-don’t-hurt-me smiles on, in hopes of appeasing Link.
“THEY BURNT IT?? HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT’S WRONG IF WE DON’T HAVE ANYTHING TO GAUGE IT BY?” If it were possible, Link would’ve had smoke come out of his pointy ears.
“Hey! Don’t pop a vein! I have a photographic memory!” The bomber boasted.
“I hope so. For the sake of the entire world, I sure hope so.”
Jim gulped and laughed uneasily.
“Time is up!” The Garo shouted.
***
Ikana Castle: The Past
Zelda sat motionless. The mysterious woman’s chambers were of no comfort to her, and neither was the servant girl who had escorted her there: she had conspicuously ridiculed Zelda in front of everyone she passed, and although Zelda couldn’t speak the language, she learned to catch a sarcastic tone every now and then.
Stupid primitive morons! If I didn’t need them so much, I’d leave and seal the portal to this place!
A tear slipped down the princess’s face. Even as a girl, she had never handled ridicule well, especially when other children would point out that she had no mother… Such deep wounds had carried into her adulthood. She swore one day to quell such childish behavior.
She shook her head: Enough! She rose and started to walk around. Sitting and crying won’t help me solve this mystery. Link needs me, Hyrule needs me! I can’t just do nothing because of my own insecurities!
There was a bookshelf in the farthest corner of the room, littered with ancient papers, as well as recent musings. Zelda started for it, then paused. What good is it? Even if I found something important, I wouldn’t know it because I can’t read the language!
The princess of Hyrule dropped to her knees and prayed earnestly:
Great Goddesses, send me a sign! Show me the way! Send an aid to guide my reason and hone my insight! All this I ask through your sacred names.
At that instant, Nabooru appeared in a puff of smoke.
Zelda’s nostrils flared, and color rushed to her cheeks. “Bitch! How dare you show your evil face here!” The princess turned to the heavens: “Why do you forsake me, Great Goddesses? Always I have kept your commands, and in my hour of need, you send a worthless whore! Why?”
Nabooru bit her tongue to keep from retaliation. “Your Highness,” She said through her teeth, “I have information that will no doubt solve this mystery. I only thought it fair to offer it to you.”
Zelda turned away from the Gerudo. “Why should I trust you? As we speak, your people are slaughtering innocents! Under your orders! When Impa was wounded, you didn’t even offer to help! The Sages are weak, and you forsake them when they need you most! You don’t even deserve to be in my presence, let alone theirs!”
Nabooru thought. “No, I cannot ask for you to excuse my cowardice,” Nabooru concluded. “For that, I am truly sorry. But, you must listen to what I say-”
“Give me a reason, traitor!”
“Because if you don’t, Link will die, and Ganon will be reborn.”
That got Zelda’s attention. “How do you know of this?! Wait! You probably plotted it! You arranged it so!”
“Actually, I paid a visit to Ganondorf, he told me quite a few things.”
“Liar!”
“I speak the truth.”
Zelda and Nabooru locked gazes. “I will find out for myself!” Zelda insisted. “My mind probe is very efficient.”
“How can you? You’ve lost your powers.”
Zelda gasped. “How did you-”
“Know that? I told you, Ganon told me close to everything.”
“Why would he?”
Nabooru took a few deep breaths. “Let me start at the beginning, this is going to get complicated.”
Zelda listened intently. “You’d better not be lying.”
“With all due respect, Your Highness, you can’t afford not to listen to me. You’re in a strange place, isolated, and I’m the only one who can communicate with you.”
Good point, Zelda thought.
“And even if I was lying and somehow affiliated with Ganondorf, why would I bother to warn you?”
Zelda bowed her head. Nabooru’s logic was flawless, as usual.
“You have my attention, Nabooru D’yani Tu’lan.”
“This curse you’re investigating is indeed the Garo’s curse. Part of the reason I have remained absent for so long is because I was consulting my people’s knowledge of History. We have the same curse: translated into Gerudo. It’s called ‘Endless Winter,’ and it speaks of a monster being reborn, namely Ganondorf.”
Zelda couldn’t believe her ears. “Why would the Gerudo have the same curse in their knowledge as some small, extinct backwater tribe?”
“Remember, in this time, these people are not extinct. And also, it has been suggested by many historians that Hylian Gerudo are linked with the Gerudo of this world.”
“How is that important?”
“Both are speculated to have ties with the Garo of this age.”
Zelda took a minute. “I do not see how that can be so.”
“Neither do I, but it would explain a lot.”
Zelda crossed her arms. “That still does not explain why your people have shed blood. There is no excuse for mass murder!”
“Your Highness, that I cannot answer. I have none for you. The only thing I have is my word. I by no means ordered the attack on the Sheikah, or anyone else. All I know is I turned my back, and my people were at war.”
Zelda started to cry. “I don’t want to believe you but everything in my body says you speak truth. I…I have misjudged you.”
“You had no reason to trust me, actually. My abandoning the sages was unforgivable, and in your hour of need, of all times!”
Zelda hugged Nabooru. “Iam ….sorry. I…should’ve-”
“Consider the debt balanced. You did not trust me, and I abandoned you and the others.”
“Nabooru, there is one thing I do not understand. If all of the sages are losing their powers-”
“I found out we’re losing them at the same rate we discovered them. Sister Ruto is next, and then Impa, myself, Rauru-”
Then me, Zelda whispered.
“Princess, listen to me: I know where Link is, and I can get you there. Give me your hand.”
Nabooru chanted, and Zelda felt energy permeate her being.
“All you must do now is simply wish to be where they are, and my magic will teleport you there.”
Zelda bowed her head. “Thank you truly, Nabooru.”
“It is a sage’s duty to offer service to their leader. I was simply doing my duty.”
Nabooru winced a little.
“What’s troubling you?”
“My power grows weak, I must leave you: remember what I have told you! There are only four days left!”
Nabooru disappeared. At the same instant, Zelda wished herself to Link.
***

Ikana Graveyard: 12 pm
Link turned to the Garo’s leader. “Who is she?” He asked, gesturing to his rescuer.
“You do not deserve to know her name,” he said curtly.
The woman cut it. “What was his crime that he may not know my name?”
“You understand us?” Jim gasped.
“A friend taught me your language.”
“Please, Honored One, you should not waste your tongue with them! You should’ve let the blond die!”
“Hey!” Link said defensively.
“I know you!” Jim blurt out randomly. “You’re Leirya` du Ikana!”
The woman bowed. “That I am. But tell me, travelers, who are you, and how did you stumble upon us?”
“Honored One! They could be spies!”
“Know your place, Hei’dan! They don’t even know our language, how could they be spies?”
“My apologies.” He still didn’t trust the strangers.
“Princess! We have urgent thing to tell you! Your mother is in danger!”
“My mother? Why do you concern yourself with her?”
Umm, pardon us,” Link said, grabbing Jim’s tunic.
He literally yanked Jim to the side.
“What do you think you’re doing?? They’re going to ask questions now! And by the way: how did you know who she was?”
“I read the book remember? Photographic memory? Does that ring a bell??”
“Forget that! We’re not supposed to let people of the past know the future! What about her mother?”
“You know du Ikana said to look after his wife, right?”
“So?”
“That’s her mother!”
“Well duh! I figured. Big deal!”
“Link! Her mother is Queen of Ikana!
“Jim! Get to the point!”
“The Queen is going to die! According to the book, she‘ll be assassinated in three days!”
***
The Pact, The Wager, and The Lead. by asil ocram
The Legend of Zelda: The Garo’s Curse- Part 5- The Pact, The Wager, and The Lead.

Ikana Castle, 10:15 am
Sheiyalei du Ikana was livid, though her face did not betray her feelings. Her clumsy daughter had demanded a conference as if the world itself were going to unravel. Sheiyalei’s guest was no doubt important, and for Rheyisa to interrupt was unthinkable. It is so unlike her, the Queen thought. She better not be vying for my attention over some trivial nonsense.
Rheyisa lead her mother into a room adjacent to the Great Hall. Sheiyalei made eye contact with Rheyisa, her telepathy perfectly clear to her youngest: This had better be worth my time. As soon as the door was locked, the princess sputtered alarm as a paper cut would gush blood: “Mother! Its terrible! There is a great travesty on our House!”
Sheiyalei glared. “A travesty? Elaborate. If it were so awful, I would’ve know it by now.”
“The prisoner, mother. Leirya` is his lover!”
The Queen’s eyes widened. “Surely you twist truth. There is nothing that-”
“ It is true, every word! I heard them myself.”
The elder pondered silently. “She told me he was a friend. I respect that notion, but she is his lover?”
Rheyisa nodded solemnly.
“Well. She is in love with a Garo.” She thought aloud.
“Father was the one who discovered them.”
Sheiyalei inhaled sharply. “Oh no…”
“That’s not the worst of it!“
The Queen rubbed her temples and sat down. “Please tell me you’re joking.”
“I wish I were, Mother.”
Sheiyalei shook her head, and muttered something incomprehensible.
“Alright. Tell me straight out. The Gods could not have too much of a worse fate for my Leirya` than my husband.”
Rheyisa sighed deeply. “Leirya` does not only is love this Garo, but she is now carrying its’ child.”
The Queen’s eyebrows lifted slightly. Whatever her daughter had just said did not register. “Come now! Maybe you misheard! Your sister has more sense, Rheyisa. While I can’t deny her feelings are somewhat strong for this prisoner-”
“Mother, honestly.” Rheyisa paced. “It is truth, I heard her admit it to the prisoner. Why must you be so blind to the obvious?”
“Watch your tongue.”
Sheiyalei thought frantically. If this was all true, Leirya` would be faced with the full extent of the law…
Ludicrous! My husband would not kill a child, and not his own…
Rheyisa cut into her mother‘s thoughts.
“It doesn’t matter who kills her, Mother. But, do not do the law an injustice by saying she doesn‘t deserve it. Any one of our citizens who committed the same crime would be punished.”
Sheiyalei did not respond. “How can you be so quick to send your own sister to her death? If there is a way out of this-”
Rheyisa took offense.
“I am not saying butcher her for no reason! I am saying she should not be spared because of her lineage, and that she has done wrong and must pay the price! What she has done is heresy. It is a direct blasphemy to our beliefs as sun-worshippers! She must be put to death, for she is a traitor as well as a liar! Do you want our citizens to think you weak because you did not uphold the law?”
Sheiyalei lost her composure. “Rheyisa! I do not appreciate your interruptions! When I speak, the whole of Ikana listens! You are a Daughter of this Desert, therefore you listen!”
Rheyisa hung her head. “Yes, Ke‘iah.”
The Queen thought deeply for a few minutes, trying to account for the information her daughter had given. “It is no secret how you envy your sister.”
“I must admit I-”
“I did not ask your opinion.”
Rheyisa was silent.
Her mother continued. “How do I know what you say is true? Many times have you invented stories to lay blame on your sibling.”
“When I was a child, yes. I am no longer a child.”
“True. But you have only been a woman for three seasons.”
Rheyisa ignored the last comment. “The tales of my youth were indeed elaborate, but have they been so urgent and bizarre as this? Would I dare to interrupt your company if I knew the news could wait?”
Sheiyalei shook her head. “As foolish as you are, you hold your tongue well.”
“And despite my flaws and my jealousy, I have never violated anyone’s honor. Surely, I would not violate my own sister’s honor!”
Sheiyalei sighed. “While I believe you mean well, I still have my doubts, Rheyisa. I believe the hope of the throne blinds you to truth.”
Rheyisa clenched her fists. “Of course I desire the throne! But it does not blind my judgment! I would not lie to obtain it! I never have! And I never will! My sister is the liar! She is the one who stabbed House Ikana in the back while-”
The sorceress held up her hand, and Rheyisa stopped.
“The Garo prisoner is to be tried in three days. If we inquire about his intimacy with your sister, it should clear this up. And if you speak truth, you will indeed inherit the throne, by law. That is my command.”
Rheyisa kissed Sheiyalei. “Sun, be praised! Thank you mother! You shall find I am telling the truth!”
“It is settled. Now, leave me! I have a guest to attend to.”
“Mother, wait!”
“What is it?”
“I am concerned about our guest. She may be a spy. She does not speak our language, nor know our customs. I think we should assign her an entourage of sorts.”
The Queen answered hastily. “Rheyisa, you know that I can read hearts! My guest is my concern, she is an ally and a friend.”
Rheyisa nodded her head in understanding.
“Go now, fetch my guest and bring her to me.”
Rheyisa bowed and left. Her thoughts were venomous:
I hate this family! I always have! And now, the time has come for retribution: I am sick of playing doormat! While Leirya went gallivanting with a Knight of the Shadows, I was the dutiful one, and this is the thanks I get! Disbelief and distrust! For all of my life I was the good sister, and yet they all turn their heads! How dare they!
Her tirade turned to her mother:
And how dare she! Taking my sister’s side as usual! ‘Oh, she didn’t do that!’ I never mingled with the darkness, and yet I am despised! I will only be too glad to dispose of her.
And to her sister:
If she chooses to be the dog that the Jackal Moon rides, so be it! They were meant for each other!
She arrived at Zelda’s room.
Hah. After all this, I bet the blond is a spy, and she has already fled.
Rheyisa knocked on the door to where Zelda was staying. No answer. The sun-princess flung the door open, and was content to find the room was empty.
And of course, it is as I suspected. They will all pay for calling me a liar! Lord my sister, whore of the Moon, over me? I think not! All of them shall suffer for not recognizing the true heir to the throne!
Rheyisa paused in mid reverie, and headed down a long corridor. After numerous twist and turns, She arrived at her own chambers. The princess cracked the door opened, then quickly locked it.
The room was cool and dimly lit. The symbols for “Sun” and “Life” were etched on the walls, and the dozens of candles gave off an eerie glow. Satisfied by her surroundings, the princess continued her mental ranting.
And yet, though Leirya` ransomed her body to the filth of the Desert, How wonderful indeed she is! Because she cannot control her own urges, the throne will indeed pass to me! By law!
A revelation dawned on her. But law! Doing things by the law will take months! I will be Queen, and I refuse to wait months to do so! Perhaps I can speed things up, if only I had some help in bringing my traitorous sister to justice…
The sun princess sauntered over to a bookshelf, and pulled a bible-sized book from the very end. She smiled at the title: “Retai’de, yedu, ve, Ce’dahi” (Guardians, Demons, and Agents.)
This should serve me well. Perhaps, some other person hates the 30th dynasty of House du Ikana as much as I do. Funny, my sister would think I was ‘playing with fire.’
Well, I am a True Daughter of the Desert, the fire should indeed be mine to play with!
Her thoughts turned briefly to Zelda. She had escaped, and had some potentially damaging information about Sheiyalei. No one knew about the prisoner, save the castle’s inhabitants, and the trial was meant to be secret. If Zelda leaked the information, there might be a panic.
Rheyisa shrugged. No matter. A spy can be found and exposed. As for my sister, A traitor is a traitor. Once this trial is over, I shall banish her to the Land of the Shadow, where she belongs.
Her focus switched to the source of her anger. And mother is a traitor of a whole new breed! She is a traitor to the House and the People! A traitor is not fit to reign.
Rheyisa skimmed a spell that would summon a powerful Agent. One powerful enough to help achieve her objectives. With outside help, Sheiyalei’s and Leirya’s heads would soon be on a plate.
A smug smiled slipped across Rheyisa’s face.
Mother’s reign comes to an end. Sister’s will never start.
And mine shall be Forever!
***
Ikana Canyon, 12:15 pm
Not two seconds after Jim finished his sentence did Zelda materialize out of thin air. Jim dropped his jaw: “Hey Link! Look who’s here!”
Zelda laid eyes on Link and cried tears of joy. Link ran and hugged the princess. “Where have you been?”
“It’s a long story. Where are we? What’s going on?”
Link‘s heart sank. There would no doubt be questions after this little appearing act.
As if on cue, the Garo‘s leader exploded in a fit of fury. “What is this?!” The Garo’s leader asked indignantly. “You knew you were in trouble, so you summoned a witch for help? A curse on you!”
Link’s hopes of exposing the enemy without their knowledge were now in flames: If they were to survive, they would have to tell the Garo who was who and what the problem was.
Leirya du Ikana made a disgusted face. “I trusted strangers! How foolish I was to be compassionate! You are agents of my father’s and now they will expose us because of me! Hei’dan, I order you to execute me with them! ”
“Wait! Please, this is my fault! There‘s been a big misunderstanding! We can explain!” Zelda said.
“Yeah, yeah! What Zelda said! We’re not here to hurt anyone!”
Link glared at Jim. “Haven’t you gotten us in enough trouble for one day?”
Zelda turned to Link: “We can’t quell the crowd! What are we going to do?”
“We have to tell them the truth.”
“Are you nuts?? Do you know how many times you told me to destroy evil-”
“-from within, yeah, I know. Circumstances call for honesty, though.”
“What about the book Igos du Ikana gave us?”
Link motioned to Jim.
“Look, it was either the book or me, and honestly I’m glad they threw the book in the fire!”
“IN THE FIRE??”
Link hung his head. “Yes, Zel. In the fire.”
“Well, I guess we’ll do it your way,” Zelda said quietly. “But, you tell them.”
“Me?? I’m the warrior! You’re the princess, the public speaker! You appeal to the people, not me!”
Jim tapped Link on the shoulder. “Hey, maybe I can-”
“NO!” Zelda and Link said simultaneously.
“BURN THE WITCHES!“ Came from the background. The Garo weren’t going to wait on explanations. Some had torches, and others started to chant fire spells.
Link sighed. “Okay, I’ll tell them! But that’s only so we don’t burn to a crisp first!”
Link cleared his throat and stuck out his chest in mockery of hyrule castle’s guards: “Hear ye! Hear ye! We have an announcement to make! We wish to inform you of-”
Zelda rolled her eyes. Link‘s bantering only made him sound like a pompous ass and was only “Digging a deeper hole,” as Dampe` the Gravedigger used to say.
“What my friend is trying to say, “ Zelda added, “is that we are on the same side! A lot of strange things have been happening lately, and we‘ve been sent here to help.”
“We’re from the future!” Jim blurted out.
The trio’s words sank like lead into the Garo’s ears. Gasps were heard from all over the camp.
“I do not believe it!” The Garo’s leader said. “ If that were true-”
“My Ke’jai, I have heard of such things! Guardian spirits do return to the past for help, at times. Perhaps their story is true!”
Zelda was amazed. The defense had come from a Garo! Maybe they would believe the Hylians’ story!
“Yes, yes, you are correct,” The Garo’s leader admitted.
“How else would they know of our troubled times?” Came another Garo‘s voice. “Yes! Maybe they aren‘t trouble!”
Princess Leirya` relented. “It seems a good enough story. If it is true, tell us, why are you here?”
“Events are happening, or going to happen, that will end our world and yours as we know it,” Jim said bluntly.
“They are people who are going to die.” Link put in. “If they do, it’ll start a war! Our worlds will be destroyed!”
“Well, if it’s a war that must be, who are we to stop it?” The Garo’s leader said. “The Garo are warriors, and our code states that we fight to the finish!”
“If you allow this war to occur, it will be the end of your race!” Zelda said.
The Garo were indeed upset.
“Does the Messenger know this?” A Garo called out.
“He must know!”
“Our race shall not perish! He would not allow it!”
The Garo’s leader hushed the crowd.
“Who is ‘the Messenger?’ ” Link asked.
“He guides us, He has offered us prosperity! He is chosen by the Gods! And his respect is deserved!”
The Garo’s leader turned to Leirya. “Are they telling the truth, Princess?”
Leirya` spoke. “Yes. I know something is terribly wrong at the castle, and I have no doubt it will spread to the plains.”
She turned to the crowd. “My brethren, I sense much confusion among you! I know messengers from the future is a rare occurrence, but you must trust my judgment!”
The Garo fell silent.
“Their words ring true, and their hearts are clean, for I can feel their intents! We must ally ourselves with this people! Now, I ask you as a sister, and as your Ke‘jai‘s Chosen: Are you with me?”
Their was a deafening roar.
The Garo‘s leader bent low towards Link and the others.
“Forgive our blindness, friends. Our land is troubled, and my people are on edge. My apprehension was in their defense only.”
“Consider it nonexistent,” Link said. “If we are allies, then our wrongs must be laid to rest.”
The other continued. “As my first act of hospitality, I offer you my face and my name, the greatest honors a stranger can receive.”
The Garo removed his mask. His hair was dirty blond, his tan skin tanned and tattooed in black designs over his face. He offered his hand: “I am Hei’dan Corei, Step-brother to Zaron Tei’ishi, who is our Great Ke’jai. On behalf of my people, I ask for your hand in friendship.”
Link extended his hand. “I am Link of the Hylians, adopted son of the Kokiri. I accept your hand, and I offer mine. I thank you for helping us extinguish this evil.”
The two shook hands, and there was another great roar.
Hei‘dan addressed his people. “My friends and kinsmen! Tonight we feast! We talk! And tomorrow, we will help extinguish this plight of confusion!”
The Garo approved.
***
The Sacred Realm, Ganon’s Prison
Ganon witnessed the groundbreaking handshake, and several veins popped. He swore in every language he could possibly think of, and pummeled the invisible walls of his prison with fists of fire. His yells echoed into time and space.
“Fools! Idiots! How dare they! Curses on them!”
Balls of fire formed in the sorcerer’s hands, he threw them forcefully against the makeshift projection screen, aiming particularly for Link’s head. If only they could kill him from here…
Ganon waved his hand in disgust, and the images before him faded. He raised an eyebrow. “Perhaps things are going better at the castle.”
The “screen” shifted to Ikana castle. He beheld Rheyisa du Ikana seething, willing violently for her sister’s end. She was in the middle of a summoning spell.
“How I do hate injustice,“ He said mockingly. “Especially if it is done to such a pretty, smart girl!” There was a pause as Ganon studied the girl’s features. She wasn’t too bad-looking. Interesting…
It was then Ganon got a devilishly brilliant idea. His magic was indeed stronger than it had been, maybe now was the chance to do some damage with it.
“Perhaps I shall pay the princess a visit,” He said evilly.
The black-hearted Gerudo disappeared, leaving nothing but his belly-laugh behind. ***
Ikana Canyon, 12:30 pm
Link, Zelda and Jim sat in a semicircle debating their next move. The Garo were busying themselves with a party. Link breathed deeply, in an effort to release tension.
“Alright. First off, here’s what we have to do: figure out if anyone here is a threat to the timeline. Jim? Which events are supposed to trigger the abnormalities?”
Jim cleared his throat and smiled wide. ‘Well, Link- I know this: There is going to be an assassination attempt on Queen Sheiyalei in three days. Zaron Te’ishi is supposed to get the axe in two. If one or both of these people die, we’ll be in trouble.”
“Who’s Zaron Tei’shi?” Zelda asked. “And what’s he got to do with-”
Jim held up a finger. “Zaron was the leader of all the Garo for this time period. The Ikanese troops caught him and he was executed for “unlawful entry.”
Link piped up. “That’s just a minor charge, there’s got to be more to the story than that!”
“Leirya` wanted to speak with me tonight, I’ll ask her about it.” Zelda said.
“Be careful! Timelines are really sensitive, make sure you know its okay to ask first!” Link put it.
“Hey? Jim to Lovebirds! I’m not finished!”
“WE ARE NOT LOVEBIRDS!”
Jim shrugged “Yeah whatever. Anyway…we have to make sure the queen and Zaron stay alive. The reason being, the princesses of Ikana are supposed to go to war with each other at a later date- and it’s a good bet the cause of that war is over the supposed deaths of the other two.”
“You do realize a war could break out anyway,“ Link said.
“Yes, but it shouldn’t right now! That event looks like it’s supposed to happen, just 10 years down the road, when the two have their own armies! If they do it now, both the Garo and the Ikanese will be wiped out!” Jim explained.
“Okay, so let me get this straight. If a war breaks out, we’re doomed.” Zelda said.
“Exactly.”
“Jim, I hope your memory is as good as you claim it to be.”
“I’m pretty sure I got it right.”
“Look boys, this is the only lead we have, we might as well take it.”
An important tidbit of information had risen to Zelda’s conscious mind.
“Link, Jim? I never got to explain how I got here. Nabooru sent me with a teleportation spell, to make up for abandoning the Sages.”
“Well gee, isn‘t she thoughtful?,“ Link said, dully. “Nabooru ought to help us, not just you! If she feels so guilty, why isn’t she here?”
“For your information, she used all of her reserve power to get me here, so be thankful! And besides, all of the information she found was in the Gerudo archives.”
“Yeah, so?” Jim asked.
“Her race is related to the two we’re dealing with. I don’t think she’d want to her erase her existence by accident.”
“Yeah, I don’t think I’d want to do that either,” the Bomber remarked.
“And another thing. She warned me Ganondorf was indeed behind this. He could have spies anywhere, so pay close attention to people’s personalities and their doctrine. If anything looks funny, tell someone!”
“Agreed,” Link said.
“I need to point out that our first priority is to rescue Zaron as soon as possible, and peacefully! Otherwise, we could start something.” Jim added.
“Link, surely Hei’dan would see that point?”
“I’m sure he’s thought about it. I’ll bring it up again. ”
“And I guess once that happens, I’ll protect the queen,” Zelda said.
“Oh no you don’t! I’m coming with you!”
“Link I’m a big girl! I can take care of myself!”
“Ok then!” Jim said, in an effort to hush his friends. “We’ll blow up that wall once we find it! Everyone go find your people and start pumping the info!”
“Hey! What’re you gonna do?”
“Actually, I was hoping to explore their culture a little,” Jim admitted.
“Jim, why don’t you take a quick look around camp? If you see anything suspicious, tell us!”
“’Kay, princess, but you be careful too!”
“Everyone meet back here when you’re done. If we need to change plans later, we will.” Link said. “Keep your eyes and ears open!”
“And most importantly,” Jim said, “ Don’t tell anyone too much about the future, or about yourself! Anyone here could be an enemy!”
The three dispersed.
***

Ikana Castle , 2:00 pm
Rheyisa concluded her spell. She waited for ten minutes.
Nothing.
In a fit of rage, she threw the book on the floor. “That’ll teach me to use my mother’s magic!” She said aloud.
“On the contrary, if you would’ve said nothing, I wouldn’t be here.”
Rheyisa turned sharply and grabbed a sword that was mounted on a wall. She edged it against Ganondorf‘s throat. “Who are you? How did you get past the guards?”
“Silly girl, you summoned me, remember?”
She looked hard at Ganondorf. “You do not appear like an Agent. What are you?”
“You are such a smart girl! But as for what I am, do not be concerned with it. I am a friend.”
Rheyisa lowered the sword. “Alright then. I need you to-”
“I already know what you want- The throne of Ikana, of course.”
Rheyisa made a face. “Are you some mind-reader? How do you know so much? Agents are for commanding, not for asking questions.”
Ganon shrugged. “Well, there’s no fooling you, that’s for sure.”
“What do you mean? You aren‘t an Agent are you?”
Ganon smiled. “Not exactly. Now, I will be frank with you- I can give you what you want, but you must provide me with a small favor.”
“What’re you saying? I summoned you. You do as I tell you!”
Ganon frowned. “I am growing quite impatient. I didn’t have to come here.”
“Oh, so now I should feel privileged?”
Ganon blasted Rheyisa with a lighting bolt. “I didn’t want to do that, princess; but you left me with no choice. Do not try to answer back for I assure you, my power is more than yours.”
Rheyisa rubbed her head and nodded. “Understandable.”
“Now, for my favor?”
“Name it.”
“Your mother’s guest? Or should I say that sniveling spy? She’s in the canyon, hiding. I want her dead. She has companions, a blond with a sword and a brown haired child. I want them dead as well.”
“What has that got to do with the throne of Ikana?”
“My dear, dear princess! Once you eliminate the people I need, you will get what you desire! I would not…ask it if didn’t apply to you!”
Ganon lowered his face to hers. “I can see the future, you know. If these people aren’t eliminated, you, my dear girl, will be.”
“Well, I have no intention of letting that happen.”
“I’m glad we see eye to eye.”
Ganon cleared his throat. “There is one more thing I‘d like to have, Your Highness. It is optional, but I think it is in your best interest.
“What‘s that?”
“I ask your allegiance.”
“My allegiance?”
“Yes, my dear! I have my own kingdom to govern, you know!”
“ Well, to put it simply, what’s in it for me? Why should I be your ally?”
Ganon was laughed. “You do play this game quite well. You are a tad nosy, but so smart.” He put a hand to her face.
He stroked her. “Yes, well, do we have a deal?”
She shook her head free. “If I may ask a question?”
Ganon nodded.
“It is clear you are no Agent. May I know your name, for when the day of my Coronation comes, I would like to know the name of the God who granted me such fortune.”
Ganondorf couldn’t keep himself from smiling. “I am Ganondorf, Lord of the Darkness, Scourge of the Weak. But most of all, King of Hyrule.”
“Very good.. Alright. I accept. My allegiance is yours, and the spies will be eliminated.”
“Excellent. I shall send word of what you need to know. Strength and Power to you, Queen Rheyisa.”
The stranger disappeared.
Hmmm…Queen Rheyisa. She liked the sound of that.
***
The Sacred Realm
Ganon returned to the miserable prison. He was growing stronger, but he still had his boundaries. The little visit had drained him of all his magic.
True, Link and Zelda had found out more than what they needed to know, But now where there was once a single hand doing Ganon’s will, there were now two. Twice the lackeys, twice as less time until he was free.
Silly girl doesn’t know what she’s got herself into! Oh yes, she’ll have her throne, but I’ll have mine! And when then happens, I shall not be stopped!
***
Ikana Graveyard, 2:30 pm
Zelda sat in Leirya’s tent, enjoying some of the soup her new friend had made.
“So, what exactly is this?”
“Well, its got Cei’jor weed and several different plants in it. The Garo try to live off the land, which is part of the reason I respect them.”
Zelda nodded. “Several races in Hyrule excel at that.”
“Shall I braid your hair, Zelda? In my culture, Braids represent events in your life that you consider important.” Leirya’s hair had four in hers.
“Can I ask what yours stand for?”
“The day I met Zaron, The day I became a woman, The day my sister was born, and the day I found I was pregnant.”
“You’re pregnant?”
“Yes. Its my first.”
“Zaron’s the father?”
Leirya` smiled. “Yeah, he was so happy, he cried! Most Garo don’t care about children, except when they become old enough to handle a weapon. Zaron’s not like that.” “How did you meet him?” Zelda asked enthusiastically.
“We met when we were very small, Zaron was 14 and I was 12. Our eyes locked, and that was it. He was the only other person I would ever look at that way again, or so I decided.”
Zelda looked lovingly at Leirya`’s stomach, which was still quite trim. “How long?”
“I only found out yesterday.”
Zelda sighed. “Y’know, If you two feel so strong, who don’t you just-”
“Marry? Because in the words of my father ‘sun never mixes with the moon, unless you want an eclipse.’”
Zelda gasped at the slur. “That’s awful! I can‘t believe he‘d say that!”
“He was raised that way.” Leirya` paused.
“Zelda, where you are from, if I understand it correctly, you are free to love whomever. if you haven’t told someone you love them, you should. You never know what’s around the corner.”
Immediately, Zelda’s thoughts drifted to Link.
“I know you love Link. I’ve felt it all along. You should tell him.”
“Oh, please! I was just wondering where he was, is all!”
“Sure. Whatever. I inherited power from my mother that allows me to see into people’s intent. You can say what you like, but just know that I know.”
Zelda changed the subject. “So your father is holding Zaron because of his relationship with you?”
Leirya’s face hardened. “The official report says he entered the castle unlawfully. There is no mention of our relationship. In my father’s eyes, it doesn’t exist.”
“What did your mother say?”
“Nothing, actually.”
“She’s on your side, I think. She told me a lot about you.”
“When did you meet her?”
“Before I was here, I was sent to Ikana Castle. I can see the family resemblance, in looks and in abilities.”
Leirya chuckled. “She knows the future like the present. She knows what will become of us. My mother’s people have a Divine Sight.” She bowed her head. “I am more like her than my father would care to admit.”
Zelda knew that feeling.
“So what about your sister? You said the day she was born-”
“I love her very much.”
“I never had any siblings.”
“Honestly, I’m starting to wish I didn’t.”
Zelda’s ears perked up. This could be important.
“How’s that?”
“She’s jealous of me, Zelda. I’m older, which means I’m going to inherit the throne on my next birthday. She wants it for herself, I think. She always wanted to make the world a better place, and I guess she’s sad she won’t have her chance.”
“Leirya`? Does she know about-”
“No. Nobody knows I’m with child except Zaron and you. And Hei’dan, of course. He’s like the brother I never had.”
Zelda turned all the facts over in her head.
“Have you ever thought about rescuing Zaron?”
“Hei’dan is working on a plan. He insists that I stay here and away from Zaron so we both don’t end up dead. Zaron will be tried in three days, we’re hoping to get him out of there before then.”
“If you succeed, what will you do?”
“Probably have a Union Ceremony, which is the Garo term for marriage. Then, I suppose I‘d live on the plains with my brethren.”
“I wish it was that simple to do everything.”
Leirya sighed. “So do I. I know soldiers are combing the plains for us as we speak. Hei’dan is cloaking us with magic, so that should buy some time. However, we’ll have to change locations before morning.”
There was a pause, until Leirya`’s eyes lit up. “So, do you want me to braid your hair?”
Zelda smiled. “Sure. Just do 1. So far, there’s only one event in my life that I value.”
***
The Sacred Realm: 3:30 pm
Nabooru appeared without warning. Ganon was sucker punched from behind and sent sailing to what could be considered the floor. “You bastard!” With all of the anger and frustration she could muster, she set to pummeling Ganondorf for five minutes straight.
When she was finished, Ganon stood up and sneered. “So? To what do I owe this visit? Have you vented enough frustration? Believe me, I’m an excellent stress reducer.”
“Pig. I’ll have you know that because of your selfishness, Impa is dead.”
Ganon smiled. “Dead, is she? Well, that means your puny little heroes have lost a day in their quest! Tommorrow, Ruto’s power is mine and then….oh yes!” He said as if he were remembering some important, unknown detail, “then its your turn!”
“Don’t be so sure! I’ve found everything I need to expose you, and as soon as I get out of here, that’s exactly what I’m going to do! The Ikanese and Garo alike will know of your villainous plot!”
Ganon frowned. “Honestly, Nabooru. You’re starting to annoy me with all of your accusations.”
“Like it matters to you.”
“It touches me deeply,” He said, mock-defensively.
“Whatever. Link and Zelda will know of your treachery before tomorrow. Enjoy your little plan while it still works.”
Nabooru closed her eyes and said the teleportation spell, but nothing happened.
“What the-”
“Allow me to explain.” Ganon said, his smile betraying him. “The last time you popped in, I was quite unsettled. Being alone gets awfully boring after awhile. So, as soon as I noticed you were here, I put up a barrier. My dear Nabooru, you will now keep me company until I am reborn again!”
“You three-toed, six-eyed son of a -”
“What, Nabooru? Do you think your little curses give you power over me?”
She shut up, and sauntered to the other side of the “cell.”
“You killed Impa. I’ll never forgive you for that.”
“Like you‘ve forgiven me for anything else.”
A silence. “No remorse at all, huh? Of course you don’t feel bad…that’s just my mind imagining things-”
“Why should there be? Impa was a prodding nuisance who didn’t know when to keep her mouth shut. Very similar to you, actually. She was…in the way. I‘m glad she was disposed of.”
Nabooru made a face.
“Keep heckling me. Obviously, you didn‘t get enough crap kicked out of you.”
Ganon made a thoughtful face, as if he were going to expose his heart, with the chance it might get stabbed.
“Let’s be honest.”
“You were never honest. You want to start all of a sudden?”
“They’re never going to figure it out in time.”
“That’s not honesty, That’s just your hope.”
“Nabooru, I am speaking not only as someone who wishes the world for the taking but as someone who speaks logical fact.”
“Logical fact? I didn’t even think you knew such hard words!”
Ganon scowled. “If I may continue?”
Nabooru just rolled her eyes.
“Oh, forget it. No matter what I say you’ll disagree. Let’s not dance around it any longer.”
“Good. I hate playing here we-go-’round-the-castle-town.”
“The odds against your friends are quite high. I would like to know what you’ll do after I am released from this hell of a prison.”
“If you ever get released from this prison, you mean. And, the same thing I’ve always done- put a boot in your ass!”
“You are obviously unaware of how bad they’re doing. They have two days before Tei’shi dies. Three before the queen is laid to rest. Do you really think three minds can piece together months worth of planning?”
“They’ve done it before.”
“Yes, when they had the power of the Sages behind them. The Sages are all but incapacitated.”
Nabooru’s face lit up. “I bet they beat you like they’ve always done.”
“Really?” Ganon’s face also lit up. “So, now this a game. I love games, especially when I know I can win.”
Another scowl.
“So, how much are you willing to wager?”
“If they solve your puzzle and/or beat you, you will be executed, and your body parts will be scattered so that your soul may never bother another living soul.”
Ganondorf chuckled. “You were always quite the gambler. All or nothing. Well, fine. As much as I would detest staying here for eternity, I accept, because I am a man of my word when it comes to gambling.”
“You just think you have the upper hand.”
“I am pleased that someone knows me so well. Especially someone of your caliber.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
Ganon waved his hand. “Never mind. Time for my part of our bargain. If you happen to be wrong, and I should triumph, You…”
He didn’t even need to think for this one.
“Upon my claiming the throne of Hyrule, I will take you as my wife, and you will serve me with no dissension.”
Nabooru made a face, as if to take a bad taste out of her mouth.
“No! Absolutely not! You couldn’t pay me-”
“Fine. Then all bets are off.”
Nabooru had a chance to keep Ganondorf out of Hyrule forever. For her to dump that chance meant more suffering.
“If I didn‘t value my word or my person, I’d tell you to go to hell. And if there were any other way out of this, you know damn well I’d take it. ”
“Of course, You never resorted to radical ideas, except as a last-ditch effort.”
She sighed. “Alright. If you win, I will…do as you asked. But you know that the chance of that happening is nil.”
“Don’t be so cocky.”
“Look who’s talking.”
Ganon smiled. Not an evil, I’m-going-to-kick-your-ass smile, but a smile of contentment.
She could match him in every way. She was going to make a great companion.
***
Ikana Canyon, 5:00 pm
Link and Hei’dan Corei sat cross legged next to one of the many campfires lighting the canyon. The Garo spoke first:
“So tell me friend, why did you decide to help us?”
“Our world is parallel to yours. Terrible things have been happening there. The very life is being sucked from the land.”
Link chuckled slightly. “As for the actual getting here, It wasn’t my choice. We cast a spell, and Jim and I happened to end up outside your camp.”
Now it was Hei’dan’s turn to laugh. “Fate works in mysterious ways!”
“Tell me about it.” Link stared into the fire. “My turn to ask a question.”
“Of course.”
“Why do your people hate the Ikanese?”
Hei’dan’s tone changed. “We do not choose to hate. If your people were enslaved and called ‘evil’ for no good reason, would you not despise the people who called you such?”
“I never thought about that. But yeah, I think I would.”
“Our God has sent us help, as you have heard. Along with your addition, The Messenger has promised that the problem will be solved, and that soon our persecution will end.”
“Hei‘dan, what is this messenger like? Is it a fellow Garo? A shimmering body?”
“I am not allowed to give details to anyone. The only people who are allowed to speak of him are myself and Zaron, our Great Ke’jai.”
Strange, Link thought. If we’re supposed to be allies, why doesn’t he let me in on the other source of help?
A change of subject by Link. “Leirya spoke earlier about Zaron being captured.”
“He is being held in Ikana Castle, for unfair reasons.” Hei’dan said acidly. “The king believes anyone with a tattooed body is a scourge upon the land.”
“Aren‘t you being a little over the top? I‘m sure its not that bad.” Link said.
Hei’dan’s eyes flashed. “Are you so sure? Our people have been scorned for centuries, milennia! We are moon-worshippers, The Ikanese believe in the Sun’s superiority. Any moon-worshipper found is automatically executed. I am not going ‘over the top’ as you say.”
Link thought hard. Despite all Hei’dan had told him, he got the feeling he didn’t have the whole story.
“If your leader is being held unfairly, then perhaps we should attempt to rescue him.”
“ I already have my men working on a plan. I‘ve had them working for days! The city is almost impenetrable, and there is not a single one of us with enough magic to cloak all of us at once. You state too much of the obvious, my friend.”
Acting a little hasty, aren’t we? Link thought.
“I wasn’t referring to a battle. What I was thinking is we should beseech the Royal Family and get a pardon. A battle would only make things worse.”
“You are a warrior, built for battle. As are we.” Hei’dan retorted. “If you’ll excuse me.” The Garo took his leave.
I don’t like this guy. He doesn’t think before he acts.
Link rose also. After talking with Hei’dan, his nerves were shot. He had spent the entire time assuring himself that Hei’dan was a friend. But after hearing the Garo’s arguments about a rescue, he came to one conclusion: He’s lying! This guy had days to rescue Zaron!
***
Ikana Graveyard, 9:00 pm
Jim was the first back at the “spot.” Link came next, and stopped in mid-step as he observed his friend. Jim’s chest was bare, and had been tattooed over. A silver earring adorned Jim’s left ear, and he held a single scimitar identical to the ones the Garo used in battle. Link‘s breaths came in ragged, as he tried in vain to shrug off the shock.
“Jim! What did you do to yourself?!”
“Ya like it? Ker’as says it’s the markings of a warrior. Me! A warrior! Isn’t that cool?”
“But…your ear…”
“So? You’ve got two of them!”
“I’m also a man.”
“Well, I am too!”
Link lowered his voice, and drew Jim close to him.
“Maybe in this backwater culture, but you still don’t know hold to wield a sword or fight. And that, my dear friend, is what differentiates a man and a boy!”
Jim crossed his arms.
“I can fight! I fight with bullies all the time! And Ker’as says as long as your old enough to fight, you are a man. He said I was a man! He said I was good enough! He said so!”
“I don’t like this Ke’ras guy, and I don’t think you should hang around him anymore!”
“Yeah? Who’s gonna stop me?”
“ME!”
“You’re not my dad!”
Princess Zelda walked in amongst the commotion. “What is going on here?”
“Uh, hey! You’re back!” Link said. “I was just explaining to Jim-bo that even though he looks like one of our friends here, (He eyed the Bomber sharply) that it doesn’t entitle him to be a warrior.”
“And I was just explaining to Link-o ( Jim looked daggers at Link) that just because I’m younger than him doesn’t mean I can’t fight!”
“Okay! Guys, it doesn’t matter!”
The two guys were locked in a menacing stare.
“Look, something’s terribly wrong-”
“Got that right. Mr. Hot stuff went and got made over.” Link said out of the corner of his mouth.
“I can‘t sense Nabooru‘s life-force anywhere! I think she‘s been taken prisoner!”
“So? What do you want me to do about it?” Link said, unenthused.
“Like he can do anything about it,” Jim shot back.
“Can you two nimrods act like you’re friends just for a minute?”
“I dunno, princess, that’s an awful long time for me to tolerate an enemy,” Jim said.
“That’s so funny. I’m grabbing my sides in pain. Look, after I ‘m finished, you can continue with your little feud, I promise!”
“What is it Zelda? What can possibly be so important as to top Jim’s little transformation into a caveman?”
“Watch it, fairy boy!”
Zelda stood up and put her hands against the boys’ chests, to restrain them from throwing punches.
“Alright! Enough already!” She motioned to Jim’s forearm, where a ghastly cut was crusted over. “Let me see your arm.”
Jim eyed her suspiciously, as if she were a re-dead who was bent on getting he boy’s blood. The princess simply laid her hand on the cut for a few seconds. When she removed it, it was still there.
“Gee, thanks! What good did that do?” Jim spat.
Link’s eyes widened. “You can’t heal?!”
Zelda shook her head. “In Ikana Castle I had a hard enough time lighting a torch. After my meeting with Leirya` du Ikana, I tried to heal myself of a few minor scrapes. I couldn’t do it.”
“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Link asked in alarm.
“I only found out a few minutes ago! With you and Jim and my just popping in on the Garo, I had totally forgotten about my situation. This is really bad. If I can’t heal, and something happens-”
“Yeah, yeah, I get the picture,” Link said nervously.
“Look, all I have left is my telepathy! And I don’t even know how intact that is!”
Jim gasped, and muttered something-
“The Leader, whom they hold so dear,
Will walk among men, no different from the rest.
Stripped of power, and knowledge.”


Zelda turned to the bomber. “What are you mumbling?”
Jim repeated the line.
Link grew impatient. “Louder, Jim! We can barely hear you!”
Jim said it again, slowly, and a massive stone of fear lumped in Zelda’s stomach. She stared straight ahead, unblinking.
“Link? Did you hear that?”
“Yeah…and it didn’t sound good, either.”
Jim gulped. “Whoa! Zelda, I think you’re in trouble!”
“I’d say so,” Link said coolly. “According to the curse-”
“I’m about to lose my memory,” The fazed princess stated.
This story archived at http://www.kasuto.net/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=93