If There's Smoke by Third Person Point of View
Summary:

...there must me a firey redhead! OoT fic: LxM pairing. Spolier Warning: story adheres pretty acurately to OoT storyline so it might display something you haven't seen yet. Please tell me what you think.


Categories: Fan Fiction Characters: Link, Malon
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 3653 Read: 45844 Published: May 06, 2008 Updated: May 06, 2008

1. Castle Town and the Pottery Guard by Third Person Point of View

2. Fairies and Flame by Third Person Point of View

3. Singsong Voice and the Will of a Soldier by Third Person Point of View

Castle Town and the Pottery Guard by Third Person Point of View

His legs were sore and he was frazzled, weary after the three day trek towards Castle Town. He came in over the drawbridge and the soldier standing guard by the left wall raised an eyebrow. He looked terrible. His breathing was labored from his desperate attempt to get to the marketplace before night fell again. He was not sleeping outside again. If you can call the past two nights sleep worthy. That first night…

He shuddered thinking of it. The way the ground had exploded from almost under his feet. The sight of those beady, red eyes. The way the skeletal, foul-smelling bodies jerked with uncoordinated movements. There were dark rings of exhaustion under his eyes and his blond hair was matted to his forehead with sweat. He leaned against the wall for a second, trying not to burst from relief. The guard looked away, once again disinterested. He turned and saw the small guard shack, the wooden door tempting.

He straightened and headed for the door, throwing a wayward glance back at the soldier who continued to ignore him. He pulled open the door and inside was an empty room with another soldier standing at the end. The door closed shut behind him. Strewn all over the floor were crates and ceramic pots. He was about to walk out again when a voice spoke out.

“That’s a nice little sword you got there, kid.” He turned again and looked quizzically at the guard. The guard was staring at him with veiled interest. “Pretty handy craftsmanship. Yup, yup, yup. You could really do some damage with that thing.”

He shrugged, still confused. What was this man getting at?

“Yup,” the guard repeated, sighing. “I’m stuck in this little room, bored out of my mind with all these pots.” He paused and looked at the boy again. “All these big, breakable pots. Really boring. Sometimes, it’d be nice for a little excitement. And that sword looks like it handles well. Besides, who knows what is in these pots?”

He suddenly understood the hidden desire and pulled his sword from its sheath on his back. Swinging it in a nice, even arc he connected with the first pot and it exploded in a flurry of clay-dust and broken tile. The guard’s eyes widened with a devilish glint and a devious smirk curled his lips. The boy fed off the energy and continued swinging his sword gracefully, easily. Every once in a while, a couple of spare rupees would fall to the floor, but he wasn’t sure if he was supposed to pick them up. At the end, when the dust settled to the floor, he put his sword back in his sheath.

It had been an odd exercise, but the guard gave an audible sigh of what sounded like relief and satisfaction. He turned to go again.

“Wait, aren’t you going to take your money? You earned it.”

He hesitated only a second before collecting the rupees that were littered on the floor. At the end of it all, there was about thirty rupees in his small wallet. He grinned a thanks, suddenly and unexpectedly refueled, and sprinted out the room. The outside gave him one more confused, sidelong glance, then ignored him once more. Finally, he turned and headed out into the busy, surprisingly loud marketplace.

Fairies and Flame by Third Person Point of View

***

  

He took in the sights, the smells, the feel of the bustling, busy marketplace. It was shocking and overwhelming, so different from everything he was used to. Everyone here was on a particular mission, bushing by each other in an attempt to get to places quickly, coming in and out of stores. There were merchants yelling out deals, mothers firmly pulling their screaming children along on grocery trips, there was a woman with a yapping puppy running about, there was a pair of enthused lovers dancing in their own world… it was chaos! Utter and complete chaos… and he liked it. It was a safe, certain chaos, the chaos of society.

However, after a few minutes, he realized it was frightening in its own way. The people were too immersed in their own problems to cast a secondary glance at the poor lost little Kokiri boy. That is, if they even graced him with a first glance. He was stumbling along, looking around awed. He bumped into several people, and would’ve muttered an apology, but they hadn’t even stopped long enough for him to open his mouth and speak.

Focus, he told himself, you need to do what you came here to do.

From the mayhem, the rousing roar of haggling, selling, buying, laughing, yelling, screaming, and cursing, there came a sweet, tinkling, distinctive giggle. He turned his head, catching the sound and holding onto it. It seemed to be the only thing that had been directed towards him since he stepped into Castle Town. Finally, his gaze settled on the owner of the enticing, teasing giggle.

She was maybe a year younger than he, shorter. She had pale, powder blue eyes that glinted and long, luscious fire red hair that cascaded down her back like a waves. Her skin was healthy with exercise and tanned by an obviously loving sun. She had an addictive, contagious smile that curled the pretty pink lips into a cupid’s bow. She was wearing a simple, cream colored dress that ended at mid-shin and mud-splattered brown leather boots. She had an orange scarf around her neck, tied with a bronze, engraved emblem. She clasped her hands behind her back, shifting in her spot to turn more towards him.

He glanced around almost unsure before taking a couple of steps towards her. She smiled widely at him, as if reassuring him. He stood in front of her and felt her taking his appearance in. She giggled again.

“Well, hello,” she said with a comforting tone. “You’re new around here, aren’t you?”

He nodded and licked his lips, looking around at the chaos again.

She laughed. “Yeah, you look it. Can I ask what’s up with that outfit? It’s very… different.”

He looked down at himself and shrugged. He cleared his throat. “Everyone wears this back home.” It was the first time he’d spoken a word in four days and his voice sounded raspy, like it wasn’t his.

“Back home? Where is that?” she asked, bluntly but not unkindly.

“Kokiri Forest.”

“Kokiri Forest? That’s all the way to the south, isn’t it?”

He nodded. Just then there was a bright flash, and a sparkle. A pinpoint of flittering light and then a small, airy voice spoke close to his ear.

“Come on, we need to go!”

The girl was intrigued by the sight. “Oh, a fairy! Wow. She’s so pretty.”

He looked at his friend, who was smiling and blushing a bit, though it was hard to tell with the luminous shine coming from her. He grinned at his friend.

“This is Navi,” he explained to the redhead girl.

She smiled. “So you’re a fairy boy from Kokiri Forest. The getup makes a little more sense now. I’m Malon. My dad is the owner of Lon Lon Ranch. Maybe you’ve seen it?” He shrugged, trying to think back to his excursions out in Hyrule Field. “Its right in the middle of Hyrule field really. It’s a half a day’s walk from here. What’s your name?”

He swallowed before answering, almost a little relived that someone was actually interested in his name. No one ever really was before, except Saria.

“I’m Link.”

“Link. That’s a nice name,” Malon said, nodding as if she approved. “So what are you doing here?”

Link glanced quickly at Navi who made a face at him. He knew perfectly well what it meant. He looked back at Malon’s genuinely interested expression.

“I need to speak to the Princess.”

Navi slapped a hand to her forehead and groaned.

“Princess Zelda?” Malon asked. “Well, good luck getting into the palace. I heard they just raised security because some dope tried to waltz into the castle. There’s a rumor going around that there’s a drain or a pipe that leads you into the castle gardens. But they say it’s very small. You know, too small for an adult.”

Navi pricked her head up at that and gave Link a look. Maybe he did that right thing telling this girl. She gave a telling smile, but pretended to be oblivious.

“Yeah, well, anyway, good luck. I’m waiting for my dad. He was supposed to be making a delivery of Lon Lon milk to the palace, but he’s been gone for an awfully long time. My dad’s pretty irresponsible. Most of the time, I end up taking care of him like if I was the grown up, but…” she shrugged indicating that she didn’t really mind. “Anyway, I’m stuck waiting here for him.”

“I’m sorry,” Link said, not really knowing what else to say.

Malon nodded and smiled at him. “You look hungry, fairy boy. Why don’t you get something to eat? There’s a great stall over there in that alley over there.”

Link looked in the direction she was pointing. He smiled appreciatively. “Thanks. Hope you find your father.”

“Thanks. Nice meeting you, fairy boy.”

At the sound of her tone, Link suddenly knew that this new nickname was going to stick with him. He waved goodbye to her and disappeared, following the growingly powerful aroma of food.

He bought some kind of meat pastries and savored the smell coming from within the wax paper wrappers. He devoured one, then another, then the last; leaning against the dirty alley walls a little way down from the cart.

Navi urged him on, tugging at his tunic and telling him that it was time to go. When he was done eating, he stood, wiping his hands on his chest and sighed. He was so tired, but Navi was right. Time was short and it was time to get going. Link walked out into the rousing chaos of the marketplace again.

He looked around wearily, and realized quite suddenly that he had no idea where to go. Maybe he could ask…

But when he looked to the spot where Malon had been standing before, she was gone. He glanced around, trying to find the spot of red that would give her away, but there was nothing. She had disappeared. He sighed and walked up to a woman fidgeting.

“Excuse me, can you-”

The woman gave an annoyed squeal, still fidgeting. “Damn it all, I can’t get to this spot!”

Link realized suddenly that she was trying in vain to scratch at a spot on her back and couldn’t. She was totally ignoring him. He tried several other people, but they were just as unresponsive, especially the man that was running around with a pocket watch, yelling about how late he was, but never seeming to go anywhere at all. Finally he decided to try the dancing, enamored couple.

“Pardon?” he called out.

They didn’t even turn to look at him.

“What is that?” the man asked, fawning over the woman. “A little boy?”

“Don’t pay him mind, Honey,” the woman replied, batting her eyelashes sickeningly. “He’ll go away soon.”

“Indeed, indeed. Scat, boy, scat.”

Link pulled back from the hand that was waved at him dismissively, but didn’t budge.

“Look, I just need to know which way the palace is,” he tried again.

“We don’t have time for you boy, now go,” the woman replied.

“You’re wasting more time not answering. Just tell me which way, please?”

There was an obviously annoyed sigh and the man pointed towards a northern exit that, in all the confusion, Link had missed. It was just behind the water well. He could’ve slapped himself for being so blind.

“Now scram, boy, you’re aggravating us.”

Link complied happily. He walked towards the exit as the sun was sinking slowly under the horizon. The people of Castle Town where packing things up to go home as the torches were lit by soldiers. The sound receded behind him as he walked onto the path leading towards Hyrule Castle.

Singsong Voice and the Will of a Soldier by Third Person Point of View

***

  

The excitement and thrill that had pumped adrenaline through him for the past two hours drained suddenly as he looked up at the intimidating peak of Death Mountain. He hadn’t realized just how tired he was. He hadn’t gotten time to between sneaking into the castle through the guard-ridden garden, talking to the blond-haired, blue-eyed princess, and being totally entranced by the princess’s body guard’s disappearing act.

But now… Now he sagged. His bones ached, his head was pounding. Navi tugged at his sleeve.

“What are you waiting for? Let’s get going,” she persisted.

But link hesitated. He glanced up at the mountain again. And then something… something… turned his head back towards Hyrule Field. There, looming in the distance was a large shape.

“It’s right in the middle of Hyrule field really. It’s a half a day’s walk from here.”

The lyrical little voice sung enticingly in his head. Navi gave him an anxious, waiting look. He cast another longing glance back towards the looming figure of Lon Lon Ranch. He turned towards the Ranch, heading towards it at a run. Navi hovered at the drawbridge of Hyrule Castle, gaping. Finally, she fluttered after him at full pace. She pulled back on him futilely.

“Link! We’re supposed to be going to see the Gorons about the spiritual stone!” Navi exclaimed.

Link continued to ignore her. He was heading up the path now at a brisk pace. The sun was still just coming up from under the horizon casting a blushing pink glow to the landscape. He didn’t get to the winding, grassy entrance way of the Ranch until the sun was already hot and high in the sky. He paused for a moment, then took in a deep breath and walked inside.

A fresh, delicious breeze hit him in the face. There was the far away sound of whinnying and hoof beats. There were some pots lining the right wall of what looked like the stable. To the left was what looked like the door to the house. He walked over to it and knocked lightly. There was no answer. He knocked again, louder this time. Finally, he opened the door and poked inside.

There were cuccos everywhere. Link was very confused. Sitting amongst the gaggle of squawking, fluttering birds was the man he’d woken up at the castle the other night. He was Malon’s father, owner of the ranch. His name was Talon, Link remembered. Surrounding him were three cuccos who, unlike the others, were staying put, pecking in an odd, very concise fashion. Talon was snoring loudly. Link inched closer, cuccos running amok at his feet.

“Excuse me?” Link tried timidly.

There was a surprised yelp as Talon’s eyes snapped open. At last he focused on the boy and grinned, still sleepy.

“Well, if it isn’t the forest boy from the other day at the castle,” Talon said. He rambled on for a while, then he gave a devilish little wink to the boy. “How’d you like to play a game. See these three cuccos here? They’re special super cuccos. I’ll throw them into the bunch of regular cuccos. You have to find all three of them in the time allotted, and if you do I’ll give you something special. It’ll be ten rupees to play. You interested?”

Link floundered, unsure of what to do really, and then, shrugging to himself, reached into his wallet and pulled out the money. He handed it to the waiting man, who smiled and stuffed it into his pocket.

“You’ve got thirty seconds. Ready? GO!”

Talon raised his arms and the three cuccos fluttered into the air and then came landing down, mixing in with the other birds. Link stood for a second, confused, then ran towards one of the cuccos he’d seen land. Talon whooped and congratulated him. Link ran towards the general direction of the second cuccos, grabbing at random birds. The second one he grabbed was another one. Finally he headed towards the door, where the last one had landed. Talon counted down the seconds.

“Five… four… three… two…” Link made a grab at one of the birds and Talon hollered happily. “That’s it! You did it. Come get your prize.”

Link walked over to him as his cuccos slid back into their pecking order. He laughed heartily.

“So, kid, how’s you like to marry Malon?” he asked.

Link flushed, his cheeks burning pink and he couldn’t think to speak. Talon stared him down, waiting for the response. What do you say to a question like that?

Link gulped, then uncertainly said, “Um… sure?”

Talon laughed harder than ever, holding his stomach. “I’m just joking, boy! Aren’t you a little young for that? Anyway, here is the real prize.”

Talon grunted, rising from his position on the floor and walked to the icebox. He reached inside and took out a bottle, handing it to the boy.

“Lon Lon milk, finest in all of Hyrule. Some people say that when you drink it, you instantly feel refreshed. When you run out, come back and see me. I’ll be happy to give you a refill.” Talon grunted again as he sat against the leg of the table again. “Malon’s somewhere outside, if you’re wondering. Nice to… see you… again.”

In seconds, Talon was snoring again. Link watched for a second, but the man was in a deep sleep. He walked out of the house. He decided to try the other door and walked into a stable.

Standing in the middle of the floor was an excessively hairy man holding a pitchfork and doing nothing. Link stepped into the room, looking around. Most of the stables were empty. Link guessed that all the horses were outside.

“Pardon, sir,” Link started to ask. “Do you happen to know where Malon is?”

The man scoffed. “This is ridiculous. The owner is so lazy that, I, the great Ingo, am forced to do all the work. I, Ingo, should be running this place, not that lazy bum, Talon!”

Link shrunk back towards the door. He got a weird feeling from this man. “Well, thank you anyway.”

He headed outside again. Maybe it was stupid to come. He looked towards the place where the sound of snuffing and stomping was coming from. He headed down the narrow inlet that led into the actual ranch and took in a breath as he looked over the vast, calming pastures of Lon Lon Ranch. There was a large central corral that the horses were freely streaming in and out of. He walked towards it, more out of unconscious curiosity than anything else.

Just as he neared the entranceway to the corral, the small redhead stepped out, a bucket of feed in her hands. She looked up and caught sight of him, hovering.

“Oh, well, if it isn’t the fairy boy from the marketplace the other day,” she said with a smile. “Good to see you. And hey, thanks for finding my dad for me. He’s always kind of irresponsible.” Malon shrugged, then smiled, a twinkling curiosity in her eyes. “So, did you get to talk to the Princess?”

Link hesitated for a moment, then nodded. Why did he get this curious sense of comfort around her? Perhaps it was her blunt, honest manner. He shook the feeling off.

“So, what did she say?”

Navi fidgeted from under his hat. Link knew she wasn’t thrilled about telling people of his plans.

“Not much,” he answered vaguely, which was kind of the truth. They’d talked in circles for a while. The Princess was a bit confusing. She spoke a lot without saying much about anything. He gave an exhausted sigh. “She kind of sent me on an errand. I need to go to Death Mountain.”

“Death Mountain,” Malon repeated, obviously impressed. “Wow. That’s exciting. I wish I could go. What kind of an…” her question petered out as she looked him over, her brow furrowed into a concerned frown. “You’re going now?”

Link nodded, shifted on his sore feet.

Malon shook her head. “No you’re not.” He looked up at her, surprised and confused, but she stood firm. “You’re dead on your feet. When was the last time that you got some real sleep?”

Link’s silence answered her question. He changed the subject. “It is truly important that I complete this errand-”

“Perhaps, but you’ll never make it if you don’t get some rest. Now come on, you’re not going anywhere until you sleep.”

Bemused, Link followed meekly behind her as she set her pail down by the outer stable wall and led him over towards the far west corner of the field. There, built into one of the support columns of the high fence surrounding the ranch, was a room. She led him inside. There was hay strewn over on the floor in a pile and there was a cow mooing softly and chewing her hay contentedly by a mass of crates. But there, wedged comfortably in the corner was a small, dressed cot.

“Now, you sleep. When you’re rested, you can go off on your royal errand, all right?”

Navi flew out from his cap and faced Link, obviously not liking the recent turn of events.

“Link, we must go-”

“Excuse me,” Malon interrupted, just as determined as the insistent little fairy. “I understand that you are his keeper and that you have a certain duty to comply with, but you can’t keep pushing him so hard. He’ll just end up giving out before he gets anything done. You can leave first thing in the morning. Now are you going to stay here and rest with him or would you like to join me while I finish my chores?”

Link was shocked. No one had ever spoken to Navi in such a tone. Malon was politely telling her that Link was going to rest and she could either go along voluntarily or she would be forced to comply. Link waited for the answer. There was shock clearly splayed over Navi’s ethereal features. Then she set her jaw in a grim, defiant line, and gave a sharp nod. She disappeared into one of Link’s empty pouches. Malon gave a final look to the now still pack, then gave Link a small smile.

“Sleep well, fairy boy,” Malon said, opening the door to exit. “And sweet dreams.”

And for the first time in years, he actually did have sweet dreams.

This story archived at http://www.kasuto.net/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=2569