Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 115] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Maria wanted to run but her body wouldn't respond. All she could do was stare at the creature. Her thoughts suddenly snapped back as she felt Link grab her arm and pull her towards Epona. Before she realised it, Link was trying to get her onto Epona's back.
"Maria, you have to get out of here. I'll try and hold it off." Link raised his shield. He knew it wouldn't be easy. Maria stared at Link for a moment. She couldn't believe that a young boy was willing to throw himself into such a situation.
"But Link, you'll...." Maria began but Link quickly cut her off. He turned to face her.
"Maria, listen. I'll be fine." Link looked over his shoulder at the creature behind them. It hadn't noticed them, or at least didn't care.
"I'm just gonna get its attention for a while." Link said with a grin.
"I'll be behind you, so don't stop. Okay?" Maria nodded. She climbed up onto Epona's back. A low hiss from behind them made Link look back at the creature. It had turned to face them. Its red eye's glowing with the desire to destroy. Link gripped his sword tighter. He stared into the creature's eyes and saw only hatred and the craving for destruction. The creature lowered its head and screeched. Maria covered her ears to try and block out the noise. Link winced; the screeching seemed to pierce his very soul. He glanced over at Epona and Maria.
"Maria, go!" Link yelled. Maria nodded as Epona began to gallop towards the edge of the Lost Woods and daylight. Link turned back to the creature just in time to see it race towards him. Link braced himself. The creature swung its scythe at Link, only to have the boy leap over its razor-sharp edge. Link retaliated with a strike from his sword. The blade sliced through the creature's shadow-like body but caused no damage, as if the creature wasn't really there.
"This isn't going to well..." Link muttered to himself as he dodged another attack. Link front flipped over the scythe and slashed at his opponent. His sword once again passed through the creature's body harmlessly. Great, now what? Link's mind began to race with possible ideas. Wait! That might just work... Link sheathed his sword and placed the shield on his back. The creature saw this as its moment to strike. It raised its arms into the air and hissed, the scythe's blade gleaming in the light. Link's right hand dug deep into one of the pouches hanging from his brown leather belt. The creature swung its scythe with inhuman strength. Link leapt over the blade once again and brought out a small brown nut from within the pouch. He threw the nut towards the ground, the hard shell cracking on impact. A blinding flash of light burst out from within the nut, blinding Link's attacker. The creature let out a soul-piercing screech as it drew its head back in agony. As the creature writhed in agony, Link turned and ran, following the tracks Epona had left as she escaped. Trees and bushes became a blur of greens and browns as Link continued to run, the damp grass making it difficult to avoid slipping. Link stumbled, he placed one hand on the ground as he fell, regaining his balance and kept running.
“Gotta keep moving!” Link spurred himself on. The creature hissed as its prey tried to flee, giving chase once its vision had returned. Link noticed that the trees around him began to arch overhead, forming a tunnel. Almost there… a light ahead of him signalled the way out. Even with the light ahead, everything seemed to grow darker as he ran. Link glanced behind him to find nothing but trees. Guess I lost it…Link thought as the light grew brighter. Link looked ahead and smiled. He passed the last of the trees and everything went white. His vision cleared a few seconds later, revealing a wide open field. Link looked around as he ran into the open, hoping to find Maria and Epona. Deciding it was safe, Link stopped to catch his breath. He placed both hands on his knees and lent forward. Sweat ran down his face before falling to the grass below. A slight breeze blew, rippling across the field like an ocean of green. Link looked up, trying to catch sight of Epona. He spotted her drinking from a small stream, Maria standing next to her, waving.
“Hey!” Link waved back, a smile on his face. The wind died down and the air grew darker. Link looked around, unsure of what was happening but he had an idea. Turning to face the entrance of the woods, Link drew his sword and shield, his shield’s reflective surface glistening in the sunlight. The air continued to grow darker as Maria watched on, unable to do anything. The branches of the trees began to shake, yet there was no wind. Link raised his shield, waiting for whatever was coming. The creature came charging out of the woods and straight at Link, causing him to roll to the side to dodge. It stopped and turned to face him. Link noticed that it was no longer holding a scythe. Its hands were empty, allowing Link to see its talons. The creature stared at Link, growling at him. It hissed, charging again. Link dodged to the side again, trying to think of a way to attack back against it. He put his sword away and removed his bow, keeping his shield ready at all times. Let’s see how this shadow likes the light…Link cocked an arrow, its arrowhead radiating a faint golden glow. The creature tried to swipe at Link, only to have him fire his arrow at it. The arrowhead exploded in a blast of golden light as it impacted the creature’s shoulder. The creature threw its head back in pain and screeched, clutching its wound.
“So you can be hurt!” Link grabbed another arrow and readied his bow again, aiming for the creature’s head. Link fired the arrow, only to have it sail past his target.
“Uh-oh!” The creature smacked Link in the chest, sending the young boy flying through the air and into a tree. Link slid down the tree, landing on the ground with a thud. Link looked up, trying to remain conscious. He saw the creature hovering over him, looking down at its prey. Link raised his shield and waited for it to attack, but it didn’t. It simply turned its head and stared at the Lost Woods, distracted by something. Link heard the creature growl and begin to leave as his vision starting to blur. The creature took one last look at the boy before melting into the shadows. Link looked across to see Epona and Maria heading over to him. Then darkness took its hold as his consciousness faded.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.