Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 32] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
    A young man, dressed in the clothing of a Hylian Knight, although without any of the armor, stumbled up to the gates of Hyrule City. The huge market town had flourished since the Imprisoning War, and was once again the beautiful city it had been before Ganon's attack. The man fell to the dirt just outside the gates, and the city guards rushed out to retrieve him. He whispered hoarsely about the Princess, and needing to go to the castle. The young knight looked desperate enough that he was rushed immediately to the castle, given refreshment, and sent to see the Princess.
    “Your Highness,” the knight bowed low upon entering the room. He had never met any royalty higher than the minor nobles and lords in the market.
    “Make your report, knight,” the Princess' voice was firm and commanding, but she spoke with a smile on her face.
    “Your Highness, there is a gathering force of moblins and other creatures in the Gerudo Desert, vast in numbers. They attacked my patrol. My captain sent me to report of this army's existence, while he and the other knights held the creatures off. I fear that this army may even now be advancing into Hyrule.” The Princess looked shocked to get this information, but rallied quickly.
    “Thank you for your report. I suggest you rest now. I will call up our soldiers and warriors, so we are prepared to combat these enemies. I will have my attendant show you to the guest quarters,” Zelda nodded at the Sheikah standing in the shadows of the throne room. Impa took the exhausted knight to the guest rooms, then returned quickly to Zelda's side.
    “Your command, my Lady?” Impa asked, bowing slightly. Zelda was pacing the throne room slowly, lost in thought. It was almost a full minute before she responded to Impa.
    “Impa, take one of the fastest horses and make for Terminia. I need you to find Link and bring him back. Ganon is still sealed, but Hyrule's army is weak, and they need a hero to rally around.” Impa gave a short bow and hurried away. Zelda returned to her pacing, worry creasing her beautiful features. Her Royal Guard, motionless along the edges of the room, betrayed no emotion on their stoic features. Finally, Zelda sank into her throne, hunched and shadowed.

*    *    *
    A figure in a long black cloak road slowly towards the Gerudo Fortress, out of the Haunted Wasteland. The guards rushed to the gate to get a look at this person; few could survive the trials of the Wasteland. The cloaked rider stopped at the heavy wooden gate that led into the Gerudo Fortress, and slid off his black steed.
    “Who goes there?” one of the guards shouted at the man. When he ignored the yell, several of the other Gerudo shouted demands for his identity. The rider slowly set one hand on the gate, thousands of pounds of wood, and pushed upward. With a jerk, the gate slid from the ground, and the figure stepped forward, lifting the gate above his head one-handed. The Gerudo warriors scrambled back as the figure stepped under the gate, letting it fall behind him. The Gerudo kept him surrounded, spears and swords ready to strike at the slightest aggressive movement.
    “Peace, people of the desert. I am here simply as a messenger. I know that some of you served with the Great King Ganondorf, when he was in power. In light of this, my master has bid me to offer you a choice; Hyrule will be attacked soon, and it will not be victorious. If you stand aside and ally yourselves with my master, you will be spared and offered a place of honor in the new kingdom we will forge in Hyrule's wake. If you resist, you will be killed, to the last woman.” The messenger bowed stiffly, and shouldered past the stunned guards, walking calmly through the fortress and into Hyrule Field. The Gerudo watched him depart; they already knew their people would be torn. The Gerudo had always been pragmatic, the eternal survivors.
*    *    *
    Zelda expected attack within a day of the soldier's warning, but for two weeks all was quiet. Militia were called up and armed, old veterans called back into service, new defenses readied. Zelda new this attack would be strong and vast when it struck, and intended to be as prepared as possible. Her army suffered from low spirits; they knew the odds, and knew that Hyrule would be unlikely to win this war without outside help. Emissaries sent to the Zora, Deku, and Goron peoples had returned with news that the other races of Hyrule would do what they could to help, although they had suffered perhaps more than Hyrule from Ganon's vicious rule.
    Impa had been traveling with magical aid, and should have reached Terminia in the two weeks that had passed. Zelda could only hope that she would find Link in time. The Princess paced her throne room for hours on end, muttering quietly to herself, plans and desperate hopes, over and over. Never in her rule had Zelda seen a darker time.
    “Oh, Link, where are you?” she wondered aloud, her face falling into her hands.
    “Well excuse me Princess,” answered a voice from the doorway, “I got here as fast as I could.” Zelda spun towards the door and saw Link grinning at her, dropping his traveling pack and swinging off a long, dark green cloak. Zelda rushed over as if to hurl herself into an embrace, but stopped herself short, and managed to get words out after a few tries. “Link! I'm so glad you've returned. Could we perhaps talk in the gardens, for a little more privacy?” The Hero of Time nodded, and Zelda led him to the gardens where they had first met, eleven years ago now, while the guards took Link's pack and cloak away to a guest chamber. In the splendid gardens, both hero and princess were silent for quite some time, until Zelda broke the awkward quiet.
    “How was Terminia?” Zelda asked, her voice sounding strained.
    “Oh, the same as always,” Link replied airily. “Nothing much seems to change around that place, it's like the first time I was there every time I visit. Mikau says the band is doing well, and they were thinking of coming to Hyrule next season.” Both of them knew this talk was simply a stall, while either party worked up to what they really wanted to say.
    “Link-” Zelda began, taking a few deep, steadying breaths. “I need your help. There's an army on the move for Hyrule, and the army is no match for our attackers. Will you help Hyrule once again? I fear that without your battle abilities, Hyrule will fall.”
    “Zelda,” Link sighed, patting her gently on the shoulder to stop her worried exclamations. “I know about the army. I rushed back as soon as I heard. That's why I returned to Hyrule so soon.”
    “Oh,” Zelda hesitated. “Link... is that the only reason you came back?” Zelda asked, a hint of pleading in her voice. Link said nothing, just ducked his head and turned his back on Zelda for the second time.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.