Suggest New Words!

Do you have a question regarding the Hylian language? Need some tutoring that hasn't been posted on my page yet? This is the place for you. Here you can ask questions, or even suggest new words or phrases.

Moderators: Genken, DarkGamemaster, Lysia, OniGanon, Kasuto of Kataan, Moderators

Dagger341

revitalization!

Postby Dagger341 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:44 pm

finally I can know what you all know. thank you for the dictionary. I just couldn't stand not knowing if the words I thought up were already there or not. Well soon the words shall come and if kasuto would just turn this project over to you, Venus, (or at least update the "official" dictionary) then we could have living language.
It is credited to man one life to live. The way he lives that life determines what happens after that. Image

JoeJoel

Postby JoeJoel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:12 pm

ass munching lumberjack
This user has been banned.

Lysia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Postby Lysia » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Goodbye.
@ShonaAdventures

SilverXCIV

Postby SilverXCIV » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:20 am

I vote Venus is put in charge of the Hylan Language project. She seems to put a lot of work into it maybe you could post the dictionary so far on this thread.
Formerly known as Bluelink Greg

Venus, Queen of Faeries

Postby Venus, Queen of Faeries » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:47 am

:::looks upthread slightly::: WTF did I miss? XD

Anyway, Greg, the compliment is appreciated (even if it's, like, a year late). Thank you. ^_^

The problem with posting the dictionary here is that it's FAR TOO BIG to do so, and I'd have to keep going back to this post to edit it, which I don't really want to do. Add that to the fact that people want their own copies of the dictionary and it just makes sense to e-mail them, now that I've got it all straightened out.

I had planned on doing a LiveJournal tutorial for the language, but the idea was cut down because I can't use the Hylian font on LJ for whatever reason. D: If anyone can think of a way around that, though, I'd be delighted to hear! ^_^
VQoF

Déginën alban, kriashásinën da•ia taz toere, piántinën da•ia nosu tokan....
Total number of suggested Hylian words: Hënsale pante! (605)

Check out PianoSquall's GAME! Image

SilverXCIV

Postby SilverXCIV » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:45 am

Hmm I say a way of getting the dictonary out there with ease is having a free website so it could be there for the people's useage.

I have no idea about livejournal so I don't know how to get around it besides copy/pasteing it from a place you can use it.

Sorry I must have looked at march and thought it was this year. D'oh.
Formerly known as Bluelink Greg

Arrow

Postby Arrow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:54 am

Venus, Queen of Faeries wrote:I had planned on doing a LiveJournal tutorial for the language, but the idea was cut down because I can't use the Hylian font on LJ for whatever reason. D: If anyone can think of a way around that, though, I'd be delighted to hear! ^_^

Code: Select all

<font face="Hylian">TEXT</font>
<font face="Hylian Rounded">TEXT</font>

Though to be truly up to current HTML standards, you should use the following instead:

(span style="font-family: Hylian;")TEXT(/span)
(span style="font-family: Hylian Rounded;")TEXT(/span)

(Replace () with <>, obviously. "code" ate my span tags for some strange reason)

I did a preview post in my own journal, and that worked fine. Just make sure you're entering your post in HTML mode and not Rich Text mode.
Jarel Jones
Digital Serenade Zone - Midi Site (300+, including Zelda music)
Rangerwiki - Power Rangers Encyclopedia

Venus, Queen of Faeries

Postby Venus, Queen of Faeries » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:01 pm

I tried using the first set of HTML (because that's what I know, and since it's shorter, it's easier to remember) once upon a time, but it never worked. I'll give this one a run-through and post the results here. Thanks a lot, Arrow!

Edit: Apparently, I gave span-tags a shot, too. I just found the .txt file where I saved everything I wanted to include in the first entry, and it had span-tags in it. Just for shits and giggles, I tried it out anyway, and it comes up looking like a 10-pt. Times New Roman. :/ Does it matter if I'm using S1 or S2?
VQoF

Arrow

Postby Arrow » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Venus, Queen of Faeries wrote:Edit: Apparently, I gave span-tags a shot, too. I just found the .txt file where I saved everything I wanted to include in the first entry, and it had span-tags in it. Just for shits and giggles, I tried it out anyway, and it comes up looking like a 10-pt. Times New Roman. :/ Does it matter if I'm using S1 or S2?

I'm not very familiar with the customization system, so I'm not sure. My journal's in S2 though, for the record.

I can't really figure out why that would make a difference though; by the way CSS works, pre-set customizations in either S1 or S2 (or unique layouts you've created) should still be overridden by an individual span tag in the post itself.

Here, let's try this. I made a post with some Hylian text in it on my own journal; look at it both at the journal's top page (it'll probably be the third post down) and at the post's own page (since the second uses LJ's default layout and not my journal's). Let me know if you see it in Hylian or TNR.

(for the record, Venus, you'll be the only one that can see the post)
Jarel Jones

Digital Serenade Zone - Midi Site (300+, including Zelda music)

Rangerwiki - Power Rangers Encyclopedia

Venus, Queen of Faeries

Postby Venus, Queen of Faeries » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 pm

I see TNR. It's my computer then, isn't it? But I have the fonts, so.... wtf? XD

I've noticed this problem happens with any of the "non-regular" fonts. If I wanted to make a post in Wingdings or Symbol for whatever reason, I couldn't do it, but TNR, Arial, etc., are all hunky dory. :/
VQoF

Omega Speed

Postby Omega Speed » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:54 pm

To revive this forum, we need to suggest more words. We need something that has "bow" and "arrows" written all over it. That is if the words do not yet exist. I think it may be time for the word "mask" too. This section is dead and it is time to shock it back to life.

Venus, Queen of Faeries

Postby Venus, Queen of Faeries » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm fairly certain "bow" and "arrow" exist already, and while I'd love to check, I can't. My computer is out of commission right now, and everything was on it.

However, I'm fairly certain that mask doesn't. And ... once I figure out/remember/someone else tells me the word for face, we can stick an "oke" on the end, and you'll have your mask. ^_^
VQoF

Kharon

Re: Suggest New Words!

Postby Kharon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:44 pm

7 years since the last post... I doubt that this will offer much of value, but I would like to suggest a few amendments to some of the words proposed in this thread.

BBB proposed the names of enemies be kept, as much as possible, as examples of native Hylian words, including a stalfos as the term for "a skeleton monster." Within this, BBB and Venus agreed that the words ought to fit the description Kasuto laid out on the site, resulting in the following words:

• stale: skeleton
  • fose: a monster

However, I would like to propose a slight change, based on the canon of the games:

In A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds there is an enemy called the Stal. You might remember this enemy as the replacement for the Light World's rocks and stones -- a skull which lies on the ground until Link comes close enough to set it hopping. Thus, I believe that to include stale, we need to recognize that it may simply mean either "skull" or "bone" (or both).

Likewise, looking at all of the monsters described as Something-fos a trend emerges -- -fos is not simply a suffix for fear or monsters, but it appears to be a suffix for bipedal "humanoid" monsters. Perhaps not just humanoid monsters, though, but those which are seen as entirely inhuman despite being bipedal? I would propose those which have no sign of culture or technological sophistication, but the Lizalfos, Dinolfos, and Aeralfos are proficient with weapons and armor in some of their appearances. Perhaps -fos indicates something deeper -- not a monster that seems to be human, but perhaps it is a human that has become a monster?

However, more importantly, this does not eliminate the other meanings -- much like real words, words in hylian likely have several meanings that depend on their context. So I would propose:

• stale: 1. skull, bone 2. a skeleton as a whole
  • fose: 1. a monster, especially one which evokes the sense of a loss of humanity 2. angst, a broad lurking fear about the condition of civilization

Well, this is all I have for right now -- and as I said, I doubt it will even get noticed after a 7 year silence.

Moka aroti, Vinculum.

Return to “Hylian Language Institute”