New fanfic by Kasuto: "In Thine Image", still in progress

Want to post a comment about a fanfic you read? Do you want to recommend a story? Here's the place. This is for more than just simple reviews, you can also start some deep discussion. If you comment on a story, make sure to include the title and author's name somewhere in your message.

Moderators: Genken, DarkGamemaster, Lysia, OniGanon, Kasuto of Kataan, Moderators

Deadly the Eternal

Re: New fanfic by Kasuto: "In Thine Image", still in progres

Postby Deadly the Eternal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks for getting back to me (or us). I'll take another look at the story to see where I found these little ideas of mine, then I'll post them when I have time. Since I've read your other stories thus know how you write, I'll keep that in mine. I'll just throw whatever I have out there, even if it's obvious or is already on your mind.

I'll mention one thing (in general), while I'm here. Were you originally to mark the chapters in this rough draft, or did you leave them out since this is only a rough draft? Your story flows the same way as the others, but I was a bit concerned that I would forget where I was had I needed to read it in more than one sitting. Just a thought. Like I said, I'll get back to you with the rest later on.

EDIT 1: Disregard my previous paragraph about chapter breaks. I just read the update on the home page after I posted this.

EDIT 2: Okay, here's a few things I want to point out. Feel free to respond to them as to whether or not they're relevant here. If some of these seem more like me asking for clarity instead of an actual suggestion, feel free to not answer it if you don't have an answer yet:

SPOILERS AHEAD

* When Link first met Akki, what exactly did Akki mean when he said that he was 'once' referred to by that name? I don't know if you want that to mean anything special, but it did stick out to me a bit. Link mentions Akki to his father and he reveals that 'Akki' means 'demon' in another language, yet Link doesn't mention that one thing about him. I'd like to know if it means anything, as Akki's character seems to have ties with Majora in some way (or it's just Majora trying to screw with his mind as Voldemort has done to Harry). Speaking of which, is there a certain time in the middle of the story when Link and Majora make some kind of unofficial contact, or is that (an official contact) not until closer to the end? If Akki is tied to Majora, then that must mean that Majora can do things outside his world other than merely taking the form of a spirit and interacting with select individuals.

* I feel that Keizen's collection of each of the stones could have a little more challenge to them, but not too much because of his new powers. His difficulty with obtaining the Goron's Ruby seemed sufficient, so I'll leave that alone. In fact, I like how you used the surroundings of the Gorons' dwelling to hinder Keizen's powers. Such a technique here could leave him frustrated and questioning his own ability to complete the quest in spite of his powers. After all, he assumed it was going to be a "simple fetch-quest," and as Majora has already razzed him at different times due to his greed, the same thing could work here so that he can more dynamically change into a good character over time (assuming that this is just what you plan on doing with him after Batai mentioned this briefly).

* I think you could've expanded more on Double Zelda's presence in some way here. As they were being served by her and she was obviously busy, nothing more could be done there. However, maybe some time after this scene, Double Zelda could be on her break and decide to find the group outside. Here, Double Zelda could talk more about herself and even express more curiosity towards her similar appearances to Zelda (of course the group will choose not to tell her exactly why this is). This whole expansion here or whatever you want to call it could be similar to the group's meeting with Romani and Cremia, as they're also doubles of Malon and Solo. Since Double Zelda may be quite important (after all, she is Zelda's double), she should appear less-static but not as dynamic as Keizen. If it's not done close to the restaurant scene, it could be done at another time.

* Is there a reason why Link's friends were mysteriously teleported to the same world as Link almost at the same time? Unless this has to do with Link and Zelda's teleportation powers or the way they were teleported previously in A Future Past, I feel that there could be something added here to make this transition seem not so random. I see that this could have to do with Zelda sensing Link being in danger, though. This made me think back to a similar part in Forever Can End In Seconds when Solo sensed Link being in danger and knew right where to find him. In this part of the current story, I think you could do something similar to this to add more strength to the rising action here. Maybe they find a way to Termina through the original route, or maybe someone makes contact with them and sends them to the right place. Something like that.

I'll give you that to work with for now, and please let me know how close this is to feedback you're looking for (rather than extended ramblings stemming from just a rough draft). I'm not a very close reader by all means, but I just want to see if they could get a bit stronger, even after all these years of writing. If you want me to look more closely at the character development or even the proposal scene, I'll try to do that as well. Keep us posted.

Kasuto of Kataan
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Kasuto of Kataan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Deadly the Eternal wrote:* When Link first met Akki, what exactly did Akki mean when he said that he was 'once' referred to by that name? I don't know if you want that to mean anything special, but it did stick out to me a bit. Link mentions Akki to his father and he reveals that 'Akki' means 'demon' in another language, yet Link doesn't mention that one thing about him. I'd like to know if it means anything, as Akki's character seems to have ties with Majora in some way (or it's just Majora trying to screw with his mind as Voldemort has done to Harry). Speaking of which, is there a certain time in the middle of the story when Link and Majora make some kind of unofficial contact, or is that (an official contact) not until closer to the end? If Akki is tied to Majora, then that must mean that Majora can do things outside his world other than merely taking the form of a spirit and interacting with select individuals.

The whole Akki scene is one that I'm still debating whether I should leave it in or cut it. It was originally meant to parallel the other dream-like visions Link has had in my other stories, but with a sinister motive. I thought it was rather obvious, but I will say as a matter of fact that Akki is Majora appearing to Link in a vision. He wants Link for a very specific purpose, which will be revealed later. Link and Majora will definitely meet, but it will be more towards the end. Majora himself can't do much to affect the outside world directly. The vision was Majora taking advantage of Link's receptiveness to psychic visions.

Deadly the Eternal wrote:* I feel that Keizen's collection of each of the stones could have a little more challenge to them, but not too much because of his new powers. His difficulty with obtaining the Goron's Ruby seemed sufficient, so I'll leave that alone. In fact, I like how you used the surroundings of the Gorons' dwelling to hinder Keizen's powers. Such a technique here could leave him frustrated and questioning his own ability to complete the quest in spite of his powers. After all, he assumed it was going to be a "simple fetch-quest," and as Majora has already razzed him at different times due to his greed, the same thing could work here so that he can more dynamically change into a good character over time (assuming that this is just what you plan on doing with him after Batai mentioned this briefly).

Most of Keizen's scenes were general outlines. I plan on going back and expanding each scene, as well as adding new ones. When I started writing, it was easier to write the main characters first. Keizen's antics will definitely be given more weight. Right now I'm just still debating exactly what I want him to do. The whole idea of Keizen was to hypothesize about what Link would become if he was the one left poor and homeless. The whole non-character of Dark Link seems to be popular in fan fiction circles, so I decided to do my version of Dark Link. Except he's not necessarily evil, he's just misguided and a victim of circumstances. He is blinded by greed, but is not inherently evil. I simply can't fathom a double of Link being pure evil.

Deadly the Eternal wrote:* I think you could've expanded more on Double Zelda's presence in some way here. As they were being served by her and she was obviously busy, nothing more could be done there. However, maybe some time after this scene, Double Zelda could be on her break and decide to find the group outside. Here, Double Zelda could talk more about herself and even express more curiosity towards her similar appearances to Zelda (of course the group will choose not to tell her exactly why this is). This whole expansion here or whatever you want to call it could be similar to the group's meeting with Romani and Cremia, as they're also doubles of Malon and Solo. Since Double Zelda may be quite important (after all, she is Zelda's double), she should appear less-static but not as dynamic as Keizen. If it's not done close to the restaurant scene, it could be done at another time.

Zelda's double, Jade, will definitely come into play later. I have very specific plans for some of the doubles, and the main plot will revolve around that. Everything I did and plan to do with Romani is just for fun. I always thought her character was weird, so I ramped up the weirdness in this story. She will continue to be insane. But the other doubles, Jade, Mei, and Keizen have a very specific arc in this story. I hinted at it in one scene, but I don't know how obvious it was.

Deadly the Eternal wrote:* Is there a reason why Link's friends were mysteriously teleported to the same world as Link almost at the same time? Unless this has to do with Link and Zelda's teleportation powers or the way they were teleported previously in A Future Past, I feel that there could be something added here to make this transition seem not so random. I see that this could have to do with Zelda sensing Link being in danger, though. This made me think back to a similar part in Forever Can End In Seconds when Solo sensed Link being in danger and knew right where to find him. In this part of the current story, I think you could do something similar to this to add more strength to the rising action here. Maybe they find a way to Termina through the original route, or maybe someone makes contact with them and sends them to the right place. Something like that.

There is a very specific reason why Link, Zelda, and Solo got taken into Termina. As I hinted at in previous stories, there is something very important about those three. The others, Railan, Lily, and Malon were basically taken to Termina because of their proximity to the others. Majora looking for the Spiritual Stones is only the tip of the iceberg. While Batai explained Majora's general plan, there's a little more to it than that. Majora is not someone who does unnecessary things. Everything happened for a reason.

I'm also curious to know anyone's current opinion on Lily. She's the third major original character I created for this story series. Solo seems to have gotten a good reaction, and Railan a little bit too. But he's only been in one story. I invented Railan as the everyman foil to Link's crazy adventures. Lily is the same thing for Zelda. Plus, I'm a sucker for silly romance plots, so I wanted Railan to have a love interest. This whole story is meant to be a whole ensemble piece with each character getting a little time to shine.

Now I just want to finish this damn story so I can move on to the next ones. There's some really cool stuff I want to write for future stories.

Deadly the Eternal

Postby Deadly the Eternal » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry that I didn't offer any actual suggestions, but clarifications were still nice. Like I said, if you need suggestions for specific parts, I'll try what I possibly can. Also, am I really the only other one who knows about this draft, or does someone else in your vicinity know about it? I'd hate to be the only one to offer any kind of feedback considering creative writing isn't something I've done yet. I will say this, though: you have inspired me to write something for the first time someday, but I have no idea when that will be. My account is set to send me email notifications for post replies (only because posts here now are dime a dozen), so you shouldn't have to worry about me being late to respond to the latest post. I got your back.

----------------------

The whole Akki scene is one that I'm still debating whether I should leave it in or cut it. It was originally meant to parallel the other dream-like visions Link has had in my other stories, but with a sinister motive. I thought it was rather obvious, but I will say as a matter of fact that Akki is Majora appearing to Link in a vision. He wants Link for a very specific purpose, which will be revealed later. Link and Majora will definitely meet, but it will be more towards the end. Majora himself can't do much to affect the outside world directly. The vision was Majora taking advantage of Link's receptiveness to psychic visions.

I have a good feeling this was Majora, but I'm not always good with story comprehension. It would make sense to keep this scene in here because it reveals that Majora does still have his mind on Link and still doesn't want Keizen to do anything with him. I don't know how you like this being related to Harry Potter by me, but this plot type is one of my favorites nonetheless.

Most of Keizen's scenes were general outlines. I plan on going back and expanding each scene, as well as adding new ones. When I started writing, it was easier to write the main characters first. Keizen's antics will definitely be given more weight. Right now I'm just still debating exactly what I want him to do. The whole idea of Keizen was to hypothesize about what Link would become if he was the one left poor and homeless. The whole non-character of Dark Link seems to be popular in fan fiction circles, so I decided to do my version of Dark Link. Except he's not necessarily evil, he's just misguided and a victim of circumstances. He is blinded by greed, but is not inherently evil. I simply can't fathom a double of Link being pure evil.

This is sort of the middle part you mentioned you're paying the most attention to, right? It's good that these scenes will be expanded in the future, although it seems to me that his adventure is not the most important element of the story. Keizen's conditions do sort of remind me of Solo, except she obviously isn't overcome by greed. In terms of characterization, putting a certain character in a tough time and having him/her dealing with it does help reveal more about that character. Once again, Solo is a good example of this. Also, it gets me thinking when you mention that Keizen was put in the story for that purpose. I was wondering the whole time how Link's one and only double can possibly be like that, but then I remember that he's taken homelessness harder (and I probably don't know enough about these parallel universes yet).

Zelda's double, Jade, will definitely come into play later. I have very specific plans for some of the doubles, and the main plot will revolve around that. Everything I did and plan to do with Romani is just for fun. I always thought her character was weird, so I ramped up the weirdness in this story. She will continue to be insane. But the other doubles, Jade, Mei, and Keizen have a very specific arc in this story. I hinted at it in one scene, but I don't know how obvious it was.

Oh yes, Jade. Her name completely escaped me. Anyway, I think I sort of didn't do myself enough justice with this story by not having played the actual game yet. Yes, I'm serious. Just by reading this story, the game seems to have more character interaction than OoT. I couldn't find such a scene, and I may have to read through the draft again. Like I said before, I'm not the best with story comprehension. I just like that I can still speculate about them, which this story allows me to do.

There is a very specific reason why Link, Zelda, and Solo got taken into Termina. As I hinted at in previous stories, there is something very important about those three. The others, Railan, Lily, and Malon were basically taken to Termina because of their proximity to the others. Majora looking for the Spiritual Stones is only the tip of the iceberg. While Batai explained Majora's general plan, there's a little more to it than that. Majora is not someone who does unnecessary things. Everything happened for a reason.

It still seemed too random to me at least in this story, but don't worry, I'll get over that as it is still your intent. It does make me ecstatic that there's more to the general plot, though. As you haven't gotten into this part of the plot yet, there's nothing more for me to say about that.

Kasuto of Kataan
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Kasuto of Kataan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:36 am

Deadly the Eternal wrote:Anyway, I think I sort of didn't do myself enough justice with this story by not having played the actual game yet.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. No offense intended, but you must play Majora's Mask. I'm a sucker for the oddball Zelda games, most notably Zelda II: The adventure of Link, and Majora's Mask. I love both of these games simply because they stray away from the "normal" Zelda formula. If you have an actual physical Nintendo 64, you must immediately go to a used game store and buy the game. I still have both my N64 and my Zelda games. But I currently only play them on an N64 emulator. I have a USB to N64 controller interface that I use to play my games. The Project64 emulator even has a widescreen hack, which combined with anti-aliasing and various graphics hacks, makes the game look better than it ever would on the real hardware.

Long story short, you really must play this game. I really love Majora's Mask for uncountable reasons. The best reason is the music (it has the best boss battle music of all the games). So your duty is to play Majora's Mask in its entirety. If you want to know the not-quite-legal ways to get it, email me. I'm one of those people that believes that emulation surpasses the original hardware. But if you want to be a purist, buy the game. I still have it in my closet, along with my N64, my gold Ocarina of Time cartridge, and my original NES with both Zelda I and Zelda II cartridges. I even replaced the batteries in them so I could save my games again. I very, very rarely play the real cartridges. I mostly use emulators. But every now and then, I will dust off the old NES, blow into the cartridge, and pray that the game will work. There's nothing quite like working your ass off to get an NES game to work.

Deadly the Eternal

Postby Deadly the Eternal » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:55 am

I do realize I'm probably an outcast for this fact, but certain reasons have prevented me from playing it so far. For starters, I don't have any original Nintendo systems besides the GameCube, so I have to get MM on my Wii's Virtual Console. I HAVE already gotten OoT, but I haven't completed it yet because 1.) time and 2.) playing it at a younger age did frighten me a bit for some reason, and I haven't yet determined if I can overcome that now. If I can finish OoT, then I can move onto MM after I buy it. Otherwise, I have already completed TP and SW, if it means much. I do remember the older days (my older days) of playing these kinds of games or just watching my friends playing them. Sadly I've mostly moved away from it, but I may find time to play them again. I recently got reacquainted with Duke Nukem 3D, and I still love it. Like you, I would prefer to play as many games on the computer as possible, but I'd still rather get a classic controller for the Wii than figuring out emulation on my computer.

Darrel

Postby Darrel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:57 am

This is interesting!

All I can suggest is using different adjectives to describe each person. "Younger man" and "older man" got stale rather quickly.
(^ω^)人(^▽^)

Kasuto of Kataan
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Kasuto of Kataan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Ah yes, that. In the prologue, I was trying as hard as I could not to mention the character's name, or to describe him in too much detail. I'll eventually reword that stuff.

SilverXCIV

Postby SilverXCIV » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:05 am

I read a bit of "In Thine Image" the other day, and it's pretty good from what little I got a chance to read. There's something about the quality of this piece that throws back to the earlier fanfics like "origins" or "love will leave you crying." I wish I had more time to read it, but rest assured that I will read the finished version when it comes out!
Formerly known as Bluelink Greg

Lysia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Postby Lysia » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:20 pm

I've been holding out for the finished version... but I'm not sure I can hold out much longer :P I was feeling nostalgic for Kasuto's fanfics the other day and am thinking about downloading them onto my eReader and reading them all again.
@ShonaAdventures

PrinceSidon

Re: New fanfic by Kasuto: "In Thine Image", still in progress

Postby PrinceSidon » Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 am

Hey all...um...I love the fanfiction on kasuto.net so much and I've gone back consistently for years just to re-read it for the millionth time :) I totally get that fanfiction is hard, and I may never get to read the finished version for the next 50 years (hopefully sooner) but there's one thing I'm dying, DYING to know!! What are link and zeldas kids names?? And if they're boys or girls?? Inquiring minds must know!! :( I mean what if either kasuto or I get hit by a bus at some point?? Then I'll never know!! Lol pls pls pls tell me!

PrinceSidon

Re: New fanfic by Kasuto: "In Thine Image", still in progress

Postby PrinceSidon » Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 am

I created an account just to ask that question! Haha!

Return to “Fan Fiction Discussion”