Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 112] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Gentle Rain
~
~
~




"Look, I was different back then."
Sure, Felix looked good, and he had been trying to get with her for years, but it wasn't the same for Malon anymore. She walked away, leaving him alone in the middle of the ranch.
She stepped through the door of the corral, taking time to stroke the gentle manes of the horses as she walked. She traveled over to the chicken coop, and walked upstairs and plopped down on the bed. She sighed and looked up at the roof, wondering what she was still doing alive.
Malon had always led a happy life.
But not anymore. Nothing was the same anymore.
As a little girl, Malon didn't really need any close knitted friends. She was the cute ranch girl that everyone loved, that everyone wanted to be near, just to brighten their day a little.
What a prick.
The truth was that as an adult, she was terribly lonely.
She had always had friends. Especially Princess Zelda. Zelda was exactly like her, a tomboy who just wanted fun. When they were younger, the two girls would meet every once in a while at the castle, while Talon delivered his milk, and play together in the garden. They would run around until they got tired, and then rest under the big tree in the southern yard. A cherry blossom, Zelda called it. The tree had big, pink leaves, which in the springtime would bloom into pink flowers, filling the entire castle with its scent. Malon loved that tree; it was so mysterious.
The girls would sit and talk, to tired to do anything else. Zelda talked about her boring life, lonely, running around the castle with no one to play with, while Malon talked about her perfect one.
The two sort of . . . switched positions as they got older.
Then there was Felix, a random guy who she had met at market. They fell in love, but soon Malon lost her cheery nature, and Felix wouldn't quit hounding her for attention, finally admitting his feelings to her.
But there was that one person who meant more than anything to her.
Fairy Boy.
But he was gone now.
Why think about someone who was gone?
But Malon couldn't stop thinking about him . . . so there was no reason to ask why.
Fairy Boy was just some kid she'd met on the street one day. He was apparently some sort of traveler, searching for a way to get into the castle, even though it was virtually impossible. But, Malon helped him, anyways, simply because she was a nice person.
One day, Fairy Boy's travels brought him to the ranch. Malon hadn't seen Zelda in a while, so decided to play with him.
The two hit it off great.
But, when she was about 14, he disappeared without warning. He left her forever to slave away in loneliness.
Life was all so complicated after that.
Now she lived in this world.
Winter was coming, and that meant the fever would be spread around. It would be unavoidable to walk into town without hearing about how many children had died that day. It was really sad, when you think about it. Although a lot of these kids would grow up to be miserable like Malon, a few actually had a chance in life.
Malon wished the fever had killed her when she had gotten it.
Maybe she would get lucky and catch it again.
But then again . . . why wait for the fever? Why not just bleed herself and get it over with?
It would be the end of her troubles, and if it caused troubles for anybody else . . . well; she wouldn't have to worry about it.
Malon's melochany thoughts were interrupted suddenly by her father.
"Malon, I need you to go to the market. Were out of feed again."
That was why she couldn't bleed herself. Her daddy.
She got up and put her hat on, preparing to go out and face the town, to face all the lonely people.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.