Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 4] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
The Legend of Zelda: The Garo’s Curse-
Part 3- The Countdown Continues


Ikana Canyon: 2,000 years ago

The sky was littered with the eyes of spirits, but the moon did not show her face. Zaron was pleased. No moon meant no unwelcome spectators.
He crept stealthily, the shadows his only guide. Not man nor spirit would keep him away from his goal. Not tonight. His cloak ruffled softly in the breeze, but it didn’t matter- These guards were half-asleep, drunken with the wine of weariness.
Slowly he scaled the castle walls, with nothing but his own hands. This was a cinch compared to climbing the rough cliffs in the wilderness, he was hardly breaking a sweat.
About three quarters of the way up, something unexpected happened. The walls began to creak, even crumble minutely. He swore mentally. The fragile walls could not support his weight much longer. He would have to hurry.
As he scampered up the rest of the way, he scolded himself. It was a minor mishap, seeing as the guards were asleep and unaware of his error, but not to him. He had always demanded perfection from his tribe, from himself. Especially himself. He should’ve expected this, examined every possibility, and yet one had eluded him. “There will be no more mistakes,” he vowed. Mistakes were…beneath him, his way of life. He could not afford any mistakes in his profession. Mistakes meant getting caught. Getting caught meant death on grounds of treason- Getting caught was not an option.
He smiled, the top had finally come. The Garo thrust himself over the adobe-like brick, and looked down. The damage to the wall was unnoticeable to the common eye, that was fortunate. His eyes floated up to survey the sky, (although of course, it was the same as it was the last time he checked,) and then came to rest on her.
He promptly removed his mask and stared into her eyes.
“Syea’ tei,” (mistress) he murmured.
She replied in Ikanese: “Neori.” (Iam here.)
It was then that the two came together in a passionate embrace, their lips enveloping each others’. For a moment, their lives were perfect.
***

Ikana Castle: The Present-2:30 pm
Link and Zelda had similar looks of panic on their face, but the king and Jim stood by, dumbfounded. Du Ikana finally turned to the preteen, baffled by Link and Zelda’s reaction.. “Boy, what is this ‘Triforce’ they speak of?”
“I dunno sir, I guess I could ask.” Jim replied. He took a breath, and walked over to the dazed couple. “Ummm…would someone please explain to me what a ‘triforce’ is?” Jim asked sheepishly.
Zelda broke out of her frozen state first. “Look, its not for you to understand, ok?” She snapped. “Stop being so nosy!”
“Hey, I’m not being nosy.” Jim countered. “I can read this crap, I think I’m entitled to what it says.”
“It is not ‘crap,’ boy! This is my language that you speak of!” The king said indignantly.
“Yes, well thank you, king, for that oh- so-helpful tidbit of info!” Zelda’s voice was pure sarcasm.
“You are truly a heartless wench!” Du Ikana roared. “I have never been insulted in all of my-”
“There’s a first time for everything!”
“Well, someone’s got PMS,” Jim retorted
“Alright, all of you stop! You’re acting like a bunch of babies!” Link yelled.
The commotion quickly subsided.
Link eyed Zelda, embarrassed for him as well as her. “Jim, what wench-woman refuses to tell you,” (Zelda crossed her arms) “is that the Triforce is very important to us in Hyrule. Our Goddesses created it, and whoever holds it gets a wish, and it is granted. There have been times where evil people have abused that privilege…”
“That explains why your female got so upset at the mention of it Apparently, she has seen that action taken before.” Du Ikana interjected.
“Iam NOT his female!”
Link shrugged. “I don’t claim her.”
Zelda’s tone changed. “But, how did you know about-”
“Link told me the last time he was here, my dear wench.”
He could see where this was going, so Link changed the subject. “Anyway, about that text…” He asked, pointing at the scroll in Jim’s hand. “ D’ya think you could translate it word for word for us?”
“Yeah, but it’ll take a bit..”
“What do we have to lose?”
“How about my powers??” Zelda chimed in.
“What does it matter? You’ve lost most of them already, anyway.” Link pointed out.
Zelda was not happy with his answer.
Link sighed. “Okay…Jim, how long?”
“An hour, maybe two.”
“Is that ok, princess?”
Zelda just sulked.
“That’s her way of saying Fine! But you’re wrong!” Link whispered to Jim. They chuckled.
While Jim was translating, Zelda sat by herself and cried. She’d worked so hard to keep the peace, and not 6 months after Ganon’s imprisonment there was chaos again.
Link came over to her and squeezed her hand.
“Its probably not as bad as you think.”
She glared at him. Link shrugged his shoulders and walked away. What she didn’t tell him was that her intuition told her otherwise.
***
Ikana Castle: 4:00 pm
After much toil, and frustration, Jim presented his comrades with the entire translation:
The Garo’s Curse

7 cycles after
The fall of certain doom
A greater foe will be unleashed
Swiftly, and all too soon.

The Fortress of the Sacred Gold
Will crumble and decay.
The Sister-World will wither and die
A little more everyday.

The Sundered-Kin will hear the call of War once again,
Blood will spill o’er the hills:
The blood of all who lives.

The Noble Ones will soon forget their own destiny,
As war begins to plague their souls, powerless, they will be

The Hero will lose his drive to fight,
The Sister-World will lose her only guiding light.

The Leader, whom they hold so dear,
Will walk among men, no different from the rest.
Stripped of power, and knowledge.

7 days after the Beginning, the ground will pour forth
Its dead, wandering souls, to roam the land once again.

When we are broken of the seal
Alas! On that awaited day


We will shake off death’s lowly chains,
Conquer the prison of the grave,
Claim the Gold that calls our name,

The Garo will rule all, and the way of things will be
…as they were before.

Link held up his hand. “Ummm, question. King Igos, what is a ‘cycle’ ?”
“I do believe it is equivalent to one of your years,” he replied.
“Funny.” Jim said. “Wasn’t it 7 years ago that you purged Termina of the mask?”
A chill went up Link’s spine. “Yeah…you’re right…” he whispered. “Hey Jim? Lemme see the text for a second.”
Link snatched the scroll and one of the lines in particular made him want to beat his head in:
The Leader, whom they hold so dear, will walk among men, no different than the rest.
“And Zelda was losing her powers. No wonder.” He thought to himself.
“Have you found the answer, my friend?” Du Ikana asked.
“I’m almost certain. Everything fits, I just wish I had confirmation…”
It was at that moment that Du Ikana’s guards walked through the wall, their ghostly forms terrorizing Zelda, and sending her straight into Link’s arms.
***
Ikana Canyon: The Past
After a string of endless kisses, Zaron spoke to his mistress:
“I dare not speak loud, darling. Tell me, how did you get out?”
“I waited until the old bags were asleep. Waiting for you seemed to take a lifetime! I didn’t think you would come, and what if you’d gotten caught?”
The couple embraced each other.
“Sweet, you know that no matter how bad things are, I will come after you. They can’t keep us separated forever.”
He took her hand and kissed it.
“As soon as your birthday comes, we’ll be married. Then, we will have no more of this hide and seek. Then, darling, we may walk in the sunlight, free to be seen.”
She ran her fingers through his hair.
“ I love you. I wish I were free to say so. Zaron, it’s so hard to hide the truth., sooner or later, everyone will find out.”
“Yes, love, they will. But, until then, as least we can enjoy this time together.”
They joined hands and gazed up at the sky. “ I’d like to think those stars up there approve of this.”
The girl smiled.
“Well, they may approve, But I do not!”
The couple whirled around in horror. The guards! Her father! Light from the castle. The meeting was over, and they were in trouble.
***
Ikana Canyon: The Present-4:00 pm
Du Ikana laughed. He was apparently happy to see his old comrades.
“My dear friends! What are you doing here? Why have you awaken from the Eternal Sleep?”
“Well, uh, the last thing I can remember is a flash of light-” The first one started.
“And then a boom!” finished the second.
“And then- we were at Stone Tower!”
“Yeah, Stone Tower! That’s where that was!”
“We didn’t know what to do-”
“Yeah, didn’t know..”
“So we came here!”
“Right. Came here!”
The first guard turned to the second, he shook his skeletal fist:
“STOP COPYING ME!”
“I’M NOT DOIN’ NUTHIN!”
“YES YOU ARE!”
They drew their swords. “I’m gonna cut you down!”
“Not before I’m through with you!”
“The both of you stop!” The king bellowed. He shook his head, his bones rattling as he did so. “You two never did get along in life, so why do I think you’d get along now?” he asked himself.
“We’re sorry!”
“Yeah, we’re sorry!”
The first gave the second a glare, and Zelda, seeing an opportunity, pulled Link aside.
“Link, our time is limited, we have to figure out where to go! Do you know where this Stone Tower is?”
“I DO, I DO!” Jim cut in. “Stone Tower is a temple. The Ikanese believed there was a time portal to the past in there, but no one’s ever figured out where it was-”
“Then that’s where we’re going!” Link finished. He turned to the guards. “Umm, where was this ‘flash of light’ you two leapt through?”
“Uh…I can’t remember?” The first one said.
The both of them scratched their heads.
“Enough! Both of you, to the foyer! Make sure no one enters!” Du Ikana roared.
After they had gone, the king continued: “My friends, I am sorry these clowns have wasted your time. Perhaps I can be of service.” The king offered.
“With all due respect, king, how can you possibly help us?” Zelda asked, her heart heavy.
“It is true, I have little magic left in me. I am surprised I have any at all, after I gave you that song so long ago. But, I will do this: I will make it so your ocarina will open a portal to my age. Link, what you must do is play ‘The Elegy of Emptiness’. At the song‘s end, the time traveling will begin. At the time you will arrive, the timeline shall already be warped. Keep your eyes and ears open, as my memory fails me. Also, take this.”
The king reached under his throne, and pulled out a dusty book. Its cover was half-rotted, and the pages were so brittle, it looked as if they would turn to dust upon contact.
“This is how history should be. Upon my return from Eternal Sleep, I had pulled this out and reviewed it. Obvious changes are now taking place in the past. This book is protected by a seal. A seal my…wife put on it. It tells the truth. The things I have spoke of, and things I never will again speak of. Farewell, my friends. Much success. Save your world, and ours.”
“Are you sure you can do that?” Zelda asked.
“Thank you for all your help,” Link said, trying in vain to stop Zelda’s questions.
The king closed his eyes and murmured a few words. “Now, Link.” He said.
Link brandished his ocarina, and played the song. “Wait! I didn’t know you had a wife!” Jim blurted out. It was too late. Ikana castle and Igos Du Ikana were already out of sight.
***
Ikana Canyon: The Past
The guards immediately shackled Zaron, and his mistress watched in horror. Her father muttered a curse to himself.
“Father! Stop them! Leave him be!”
The father, the Ikanese king, slapped his daughter. “Gei’kah, lei!” (Quiet, wench!) “Arie ter kaiye.” (I’ll deal with you after.)
After Zaron was subdued, The king beat him maliciously.
“Scum! Who are you that dares look eye upon my daughter?!”
When Zaron remained quiet, The King resorted to another 20 lashes. “Tell me! If you value your honor!”
Zaron rose his head weakly, and answered. His mistress looked on in fear.
“I am Zaron Te`ishi. I love your daughter as I do my life, and if that be some sin, forgive me.”
The King spotted something lying on the ground. “What is that?” He bellowed.
His daughter snatched it and hid it in her sleeve.
“Give it to me.”
“No.”
“STUBBORN GIRL! Do you not realize that if you refuse,” he paused, letting disdain hang on the word, “….your companion dies?!”
Reluctantly, the girl handed over the object. The king took one look and spat on it.
“ A GARO’S MASK???” He directed his rage at the shackled young man. He did not hang his head in shame, but held it pride-fully, boastfully. “Such that I am, your highness,“ Zaron replied.
The king directed his next outrage at his daughter: “YOU DARE TO COURT A GARO? YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO YOUR OWN KIND!”
With that he preceded to beat her, but before the whip came down, Zaron pushed of his captors, and shielded the girl as he took the lashes for her.
The king, disgusted, stopped his flogging and addressed Zaron.
“Move, scum!”
Zaron stood fast for 20 minutes as the girl‘s father administered more warnings and more beatings. The king finally lost his patience: “Remove him!” As they started to march he called after them: “Lock him up. The execution is in 3 days.”
His daughter broke down in tears.
The king turned to her. “YOU ARE A TRAITOROUS WHORE!”
He slapped her several times, and she did not utter a sound.
Finally, she spoke. “You’ll wake mother..” she whispered.
“What does it matter?? Let her see what you’ve become! Let her see how you’ve ransomed yourself to a low-life!”
“You don’t understand-”
“ Let me guess? You love him.” He made a mockery of the word “love.”
The daughter rose to her feet and spoke.
“Father, I have never lied to you. Yes, I love him, and he loves me.”
The father stood, speechless- unmoving, uncaring. Bad enough she was seeing someone behind his back. Even worse, he was a Garo. The Garo were evil magicians, moon-worshippers, heathens that tattooed their skin, wore masks, kidnapped their women and made them child-making machines! How could she submit to that kind of life? How could she? Why would she?? Why had this happened? Why does she turn her back on her birthright: head of the Ikanese people? Why does she turn from the glorious Sun-worshipping tradition?
“Why do you do this, daughter?” The king asked silently.
“Because this is my destiny…”
He spat, and spoke his words through gritted teeth. “DESTINY? Your destiny is to lead our people, set an example. Your are supposed to inherit the throne! You‘re not setting the example you should! A Queen-to-be does not run around with traitors! You must understand this!”
The daughter went into a rage. “YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND! YOU DON’T EVER GET IT, DO YOU? I do not want the throne! I want nothing to do with this confined life! It is an abomination to me, it goes against all I stand for! I never wanted this. EVER!”
The father replied icily: “Well, in my eyes, you are already one of them…”
“More than you know…” she threw his tone back at him.
She showed her father her tattooed arms.
Her father stood dumbfounded, just staring. He finally turned and spoke after 15 minutes of thought.
“Leiryra` Du Ikana, I renounce you as a person, my daughter, and my heir. The throne will pass to your sister.”
Her face flushed. “Big surprise. You always liked Rhe’yisa` best, anyway.”
She stormed off into her room, her pride hurt. No matter. She’d beseech his people. Her betrothed would live.
***
The Sacred Realm, Ganon’s Prison
Ganondorf looked through his crystal ball and laughed. “Idiotic fools! A day has elapsed, and they are still clueless. Oh, and their little time-traveling stint will cost them yet another day! 5 days remain until my return… and my army doubles as I speak!”
He walked a few paces, only to have an energy beam lash out at him. “Din’s wrath!” He rubbed his bald forehead, where the beam had struck. “Yes…only 5 more days…My servant has done well…Zaron was the seed, yes, but he is weak. My faithful servant is who will bring my rebirth!”
A pause. He gazed at Link, who was tumbling through time and space. “Yes..little pest….he will bring the end of you,” Ganon said maliciously.
Just then , a pulse went through his body. Not like the stinging energy beams that held him in his prison, but like a power, a force of some sort.
He smiled evilly. “Ah, it seems a sage has lost their power….and it has been transferred to me! Poor Saria, it seems Kokiri Forest is doomed!”
The crystal ball’s image flickered to that of the Garo in their camps, rallying around the scroll he had given them. “Patience, my followers. I will return….”
With that, he erupted into the stereotypical evil laughter that sends a chill up the bravest hero’s spine.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.